MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Trade Anthro 1A03 2D for Anthro 1Z03 2E DFKMcDonough Academics 6 08-10-2010 05:18 PM
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM
Trading Anthro 1A03 1D for Anthro 1A03 2E VoyozooT Academics 0 07-06-2009 01:00 PM

Anthro 1B03

Anthro 1B03
Intro to Archeology
Published by lorend
06-18-2008
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
30%30%30%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 65%
Anthro 1B03

I took course in term two of the 2004-2005 year, so unfortunately some of the information I will be providing is a wee bit outdated.

My prof was terrible. She was a PhD student/candidate/recent recipient (I don't know which one it was) from UofT. She mispronounced Knossos. She said Carbon changes into Oxygen. She screwed up the Bering Strait landbridge theory. Thankfully, she never taught here again from what I could tell.

We had a midterm, two essays, and three short tests in tutorial.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Anthro 1B03!

Old 06-18-2008 at 04:49 PM   #2
mnk1988
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
I recently took this course (2007-2008) first term.

I had Dr. Carter and he was a pretty good prof. His notes were really lengthy and detailed but if you knew them all you would not have to read the txtbook ( I didn't use it at all). The course had 2 quizzes (10%), midterm (20%), exam (30%), essay (30%) and a participation mark (10%).

The lectures were also very interesting and the prof was pretty funny during the lectures. He understood that first year is a transition year and made compensations... i.e because the final exam was extremely lengthy and many ppl felt they didn;t have enough time....he made the exam worth in total out ofless marks...
I didn't attend all his lecs either... I still managed in the A range but I read his lec notes which were pretty good. In terms of courseload..this course had a moderate course load.
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-23-2008 at 06:46 PM   #3
Alvand
Program: Business

Liked: 39 Times
Can someone please explain the material we learn in this course?

An overview of the chronology and diversity of human prehistory. Examples of archaeological evidence from around the world are used to illustrate the long-term processes of cultural history.

anything else?
Old 06-23-2008 at 10:33 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
When I took it, it was Ancient Civ from highschool, with a little bit of archeological analysis (ceramics mostly)

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-29-2008 at 09:50 PM   #5
mnk1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
Can someone please explain the material we learn in this course?

An overview of the chronology and diversity of human prehistory. Examples of archaeological evidence from around the world are used to illustrate the long-term processes of cultural history.

anything else?

I might still hv my notes from last year with tests etc....not too sure..will hv to look for them.
u r welcome to hv them if u want... but i might hv given them to a person already..will hv to recall..

Generally...he does lecs starting off with the origins of humans and the many species believed to hv been inbetween hom spaiens (us) and doing all the way bach to the autrolapithecus (sp) species...
The tutorials consist of famous archaeological sites and their significance covered...i.e olduvai gorge, stonehenge, chatalhoyk (spelling)..dr. carter talks alot about chatalhoyk bcz thats where most of his work is!

then u will learn about early farmers and origins of early art etc..
then moving into domestication of plans/animals etc..
and u end with a few lecs on sum early civilizations ...liek ancient egyptians..there is tonnesmore and its interesting too....
Old 01-02-2010 at 11:57 AM   #6
alicia11
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Fourth

I really disliked this course. Took it in Sept. 2009.
Dr. Carter is cool but there is just wayyyyyyy too much info to go through in one term. It is such an overload that you cant even be interested in anything because he mentions it and then moves on. Wayy too many dates, sites, etc.. makes you hate the course. And studying is very frustrating... you're always asking WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW
I do so much better in my third year tough courses than i did in this first year course.
Old 07-23-2010 at 02:49 PM   #7
dsouzajj2010
Program: Commerce
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: Liked 2 Times
what are 4 electives i can take that are super easy

im starting my first year in business this september
Old 07-23-2010 at 04:33 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member
Program: Cognitive Science of Language

Liked: 196 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsouzajj2010 View Post
what are 4 electives i can take that are super easy

im starting my first year in business this september
Hey! Since your question isn't really related to this thread, it's easier to start a new one to get replies faster. Anyway, here's some threads that discuss easy first year electives. Just remember that what people think is 'easy' differs from person to person, so take it all with a grain of salt. :]

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1711 1

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2921 2

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2900 2
Old 08-01-2010 at 10:40 AM   #9
gmoney
Program: Science

Liked: 21 Times
i took this class sept. 2008 and thought it was great! Dr. Carter was a really good prof, kept your attention throughout lecture. The only thing was that his lecture notes were pretty much exactly what he said in class, so they were usually quite longgg :S but i found just reading through the notes and doing the tutorial assignments thoroughly were enough prep for the midterm and exam.
Old 06-20-2011 at 11:28 AM   #10
JHolm13
Faculty: Social Science
Year: First

I just took this course recently with Dr. Carter, and I do agree that there was way too much information covered in just one semester. The tutorials were pretty easy and the midterm and exam weren't too bad.
Old 08-12-2011 at 12:34 PM   #11
emilystief
Year: First

Does this course have a heavey work load?? i took it as an elective and I am in medical radiation classes. I really like history and thought that this was kinda like it.....but I dont want a really hard and frustrating course because i already have to take bio and kin and alot f other stuff thanks
Old 09-08-2012 at 09:01 PM   #12
gillgs5
Program: Political Science
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
I actually took the evening class with Dr.Cummins last year. The workload was not too bad because it was only 2 book reviews, a midterm and the final exam. The prof would sometimes go off topic during lectures and start telling stories of his life. Overall the course was interesting but I found the marking by the TAs to be a bit unfair.
Old 09-13-2012
karsten1992
This message has been removed by a moderator. .

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search