Mary Keyes '09 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 18 05-11-2010 06:34 PM
Mary Keyes '08 Chad Mary Keyes Forum 23 08-13-2008 02:39 PM
Mary Keyes '07 lorend Mary Keyes Forum 59 05-13-2008 11:08 AM

Applying for Mary Keyes

Old 02-20-2010 at 08:12 PM   #1
jaason87

Liked: 0 Times

Applying for Mary Keyes
hello, im upper year student and i want to apply for mary keyes next year.
I have 2 questions about applying for mary keyes next yr.
Should I choose suite* for my first preference?
Also, I have 3 other friends that I want to be roommates with.
Then, should I e-mail housing office their names and student number??
Because, on the website, it says that e-mailing housing office for more than two roommates doesnt extend to appartment or suite style..

thanks~!
Old 02-20-2010 at 10:32 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

You can't specifically apply for Mary Keyes as there are no more building choices on the application.

I guess if there's a suite option that would be your first choice on the application but I'm guessing that applies to both Keyes and Bates, not just the former.

You cannot choose more than 1 roommate on your application. You can only choose 1 and that person also has to choose you for you to get into a room together, and again you're not guaranteed a suite in Keyes.

Its a lottery so totally random.

I don't think they make special exceptions for groups who want to live together. The best option if you want to definitely live with a group is to find a place off campus.

Sorry I don't have better news. You used to be able to list a specific building as a preference but even then it was still based on your lottery pick.
Old 02-21-2010 at 03:33 PM   #3
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

if you pick suite style then it's Keyes
Bates is apartment

but chances are you won't be able to be in the same suite and all three of your friends because that's only for quads
although I guess it wouldn't hurt for you guys to e-mail them
Old 02-21-2010 at 04:48 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_hikari View Post
if you pick suite style then it's Keyes
Bates is apartment

but chances are you won't be able to be in the same suite and all three of your friends because that's only for quads
although I guess it wouldn't hurt for you guys to e-mail them
They can't give you a suite just b/c you e-mail them and say you want to live with X, Y and Z.

They give out residence spaces based on lottery picks for reasons of fairness so it would be unfair for a group of students to get together, say they want to live together and automatically be placed in a suite.

The best they can do is break up into pairs so at least each person would get to live with one other person in the group. As long as A and B each put each other down on the application form then I believe you're guaranteed to get that person as a roommate.

You can select suite as your top choice but you do have to rank other choices and depending on where your name gets drawn in the lottery you might end up with a Suite, or your second choice, third choice etc. Its luck of the draw in the end. Your name could be drawn first and you'd get placed in a suite in Keyes or you could be drawn last and you get your last choice of room type. It kind of sucks but its the fairest way to do it.
Old 02-21-2010 at 06:55 PM   #5
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Upper years it's based on your GPA, not lottery (Unless you have a GPA under 9.5).

Common misconception.

You still can't get a suite with three of your buddies though.
Old 02-21-2010 at 07:21 PM   #6
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Upper years it's based on your GPA, not lottery (Unless you have a GPA under 9.5).

Common misconception.

No. You're wrong.

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/residence...pper_year.html

Common misconception to not read.

Old 02-21-2010 at 07:54 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:

Common misconception.

That's wrong, the way it used to work was that you needed a 5.0 to qualify for res, a 9.5 to be guaranteed a room, and an 11 to be guaranteed Keyes. They no longer guarantee anyone Keyes though so it's still a lottery.
Old 02-21-2010 at 08:34 PM   #8
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
No. You're wrong.

http://housing.mcmaster.ca/residence...pper_year.html

Common misconception to not read.
Attitude not required.

I can't find it at the moment, but previously rooms were assigned based on this criteria in order of importance (for upper years).

1) IRC/CA etc.
2) 12.0GPA -> 9.5GPA
3) Others

Before you say "OMFG!! That's not true!! You're wrong!!!", it used to be on the housing website, I just can't find it right now.

I'm NOT sure if they changed the process this year yet again (they like to change the residence process yearly bit by bit), but as far as it was concerned last year, that's how room preferences were assigned, which effectively benefited people who pocket 12s in their classes.

EDIT:
(FROM THE FAQ)
I'm a returning student and didn't get the room type I asked for. Why not?The room was probably assigned to a student who was higher on the priority list for room assignments. Student staff and IRC Reps are assigned rooms first, then student on the Dean's Honour's List according to sessional average, and then students by lottery number

> > > > Told you I'm right. < < < <

Last edited by PTGregD : 02-21-2010 at 08:40 PM.

goodnews.inc, xo.monica like this.
Old 02-21-2010 at 09:42 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
Attitude not required.

I can't find it at the moment, but previously rooms were assigned based on this criteria in order of importance (for upper years).

1) IRC/CA etc.
2) 12.0GPA -> 9.5GPA
3) Others

Before you say "OMFG!! That's not true!! You're wrong!!!", it used to be on the housing website, I just can't find it right now.

I'm NOT sure if they changed the process this year yet again (they like to change the residence process yearly bit by bit), but as far as it was concerned last year, that's how room preferences were assigned, which effectively benefited people who pocket 12s in their classes.

EDIT:
(FROM THE FAQ)
I'm a returning student and didn't get the room type I asked for. Why not?The room was probably assigned to a student who was higher on the priority list for room assignments. Student staff and IRC Reps are assigned rooms first, then student on the Dean's Honour's List according to sessional average, and then students by lottery number

> > > > Told you I'm right. < < < <

I just found the larger font pretty amusing

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-21-2010 at 09:50 PM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I just found the larger font pretty amusing
It was to help dmzz, seeing as it ended up that he was the one who had a problem with reading.

xo.monica likes this.
Old 02-21-2010 at 10:01 PM   #11
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Quote:
It was to help dmzz, seeing as it ended up that he was the one who had a problem with reading.
Don't mess with Mensa.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 02-21-2010 at 10:35 PM   #12
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

just wondering:

Do they put upper year students in triple or quad rooms?
Old 02-22-2010 at 08:28 AM   #13
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syan9184 View Post
just wondering:

Do they put upper year students in triple or quad rooms?
I think if they do its a very rare occurance. Most upper years get single rooms.

I haven't even heard of many upper years being put in double rooms, much less triples.

Residence demand from upper years is low and they've got 20% of the spaces reserved for them if need be, presumably these 20% are made up mostly of single rooms, and then some apartments and suites.
Old 02-23-2010 at 01:18 PM   #14
Mich123

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what are my chances of getting into Mary Keyes? I know it is a lottery draw, but are there alot of applicants for keyes?
Old 02-23-2010 at 01:25 PM   #15
Mich123

How should I fill out my application form to ensure that I get a room that I want. I really want a single room, but I heard it is a very slim chance that it is possible.