MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
life sci 2ee3 and biochem 2ee3 jangh2 Academics 16 06-25-2009 12:19 PM
Orgo 20B3 and 2OA3, and biochem 2EE3, and bio 2EE3 rits Academics 1 08-24-2008 03:44 PM

Biochem 2EE3

Biochem 2EE3
Metabolism and Physiological Chemistry
Published by Sohail
06-30-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
40%40%40%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 70%
Biochem 2EE3

This course was taught by Dr. Boris Zhorov this past year. I think he's been teaching it for years now. This means that a lot of his test questions are actually recycled from previous years. So, if you can get your hands on previous years' tests, you should be in good shape.

In terms of testing, this course is simply memorization. There is no level of understanding needed to do well in this course. However, that being said, Dr. Zhorov does test on very minute details. His tests consist of multiple choice questions, which generally follow this format:

X. Statement 1.
Y. Statement 2.

a) X is true.
b) X is true.
c) Both X and Y are true.
d) Neither X nor Y are true.

There are two tests in the course (each worth 30%), and a final exam (40%). However, this past year, he offered an alternate marking scheme. If I remember correctly, it was 20% each for the tests, and the exam was 60%. The exam was easy, and was similarly formatted to the tests.

You do not need to go to lectures in order to do well in this course. That's because everything that you need to know for the tests are on his lecture slides. However, an added bonus of going to class is that he sometimes tells you what to not bother studying (for the tests).

Overall, this course is an easy elective. If you are very good at memorization facts, you should do very well in this course. If you are only taking it because it "seems" interesting, don't bother - there are tons of other more interesting courses.

zoyy, 0t10, bigmac, Cristina_n13, Dulitha, FJEAN, jhan523 all say thanks to Sohail for this post.

FJEAN, manaya like this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Biochem 2EE3!

Old 06-30-2009 at 10:42 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics
Year: Alumni
Residence: Edwards 08-09, SOCS 09-12

Liked: 604 Times
I'm taking this next year ^-^

Got to love those test formats! XD
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:47 AM   #3
Lois
Elite Member
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
This class was easy, but frustrating.

Zhorov wasn't the best prof. Be prepared to listen to lots of stories of tigers. He doesn't post pictures on the slides because of "copyright" - even though profs using the same book have done so. He refuses to answer questions during tests and before/after class. You need to go to his office hours. The only reason why you need to go to class is to pick up details of what you need to memorize.

As long as you memorize everything that he tells you to memorize, you're set. During my year, he tried making up new questions and they were very poorly written (ambiguous, spelling mistakes, wrong answers) - that midterm was difficult. Otherwise he mostly recycles questions.

0t10, jhan523 all say thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 06-30-2009 at 10:51 AM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
This class was easy, but frustrating.

Zhorov wasn't the best prof. Be prepared to listen to lots of stories of tigers. He doesn't post pictures on the slides because of "copyright" - even though profs using the same book have done so. He refuses to answer questions during tests and before/after class. You need to go to his office hours. The only reason why you need to go to class is to pick up details of what you need to memorize.

As long as you memorize everything that he tells you to memorize, you're set. During my year, he tried making up new questions and they were very poorly written (ambiguous, spelling mistakes, wrong answers) - that midterm was difficult. Otherwise he mostly recycles questions.
Oh cool, he actually tells you what to memorize? Awesome.

Lol, University is wacky. I've heard stories about rabbits and now it's going to be tigers?! What's next?

Old 06-30-2009 at 10:57 AM   #5
Lois
Elite Member
Residence: off campus

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Oh cool, he actually tells you what to memorize? Awesome.

Lol, University is wacky. I've heard stories about rabbits and now it's going to be tigers?! What's next?
He'll tell you that you need to know this slide. But you can sort of figure out what's important after looking after old tests.

He wasn't very exciting though. The tiger stories = "If you're running away from the tiger...".
Old 07-01-2009 at 05:19 PM   #6
Fight0
Elite Member
Program: MD
Year: Other

Liked: 141 Times
It would be fairly accurate to describe 2EE3 as a bird course. All you have during the year are two short midterms and a final exam. The first midterm covers very basic concepts that you've likely studied in your grade 11 biology class. The second does not deviate much in terms of difficulty either. Generally the course is supposed to teach you about common metabolic pathways but what you'll be tested on is random facts about completely unrelated topics. Fortunately, all the information you'll need to get a 12 in the class is in his slide notes.

The prof is pretty boring and doesn't seem to care about his students at all. All that you'll remember about him is him talking about tigers and screaming at the wrong side of the class for talking. Don't buy the textbook. While he took 3 or 4 questions from the textbook throughout the year, there's no way you'll ever be able to read the dry text and it's far from worth it.

If you want a course that you have to put in minimal work to get a 12, 2EE3 is for you.

jc24 likes this.
Old 07-16-2009 at 08:58 AM   #7
jordan19
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Year: Third

Liked: 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm taking this next year ^-^

Got to love those test formats! XD
How are you going to take this course, are you not in biochem? I thought they blocked the course for us students?
Old 07-16-2009 at 01:14 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan19 View Post
How are you going to take this course, are you not in biochem? I thought they blocked the course for us students?
I'm in Molecular Biology and Genetics.
Old 08-14-2009 at 08:34 AM   #9
Fight0
Elite Member
Program: MD
Year: Other

Liked: 141 Times
Here's the most current outline as requested.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2ee3_outline_2009_Summer.pdf (30.0 KB, 579 views)

jc24, sana1504, Scrub all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.
Old 12-25-2009 at 01:33 AM   #10
aa84
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
does anyone have midterms they are willing to share?
Old 12-25-2009 at 11:01 PM   #11
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User
Program: Science

Liked: 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa84 View Post
does anyone have midterms they are willing to share?
I've got a lot of past midterms, it would require transfering to a usb, they are quite large in size.

I'd be willing to do it for a small price.
Old 12-25-2009 at 11:16 PM   #12
Mz.Morra13
Program: Nursing

Liked: 26 Times
I'm taking it next semester, how much would you sell them for? (if you'd do it for more than one person, i.e. if they're on the comptuer and not just hand copy)
Old 12-25-2009 at 11:19 PM   #13
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

I could do it for $5, they are on the computer so that works! (i'm not trying to make money off this, its more just for the time it would take to meet up etc.)
Old 12-25-2009 at 11:22 PM   #14
Mz.Morra13
Program: Nursing

Liked: 26 Times
Maybe we could arrange something in the new year? that's so kind of you
Old 12-25-2009 at 11:25 PM   #15
anubhagat
Account Disabled by User

sounds good to me! send me a PM and we can arrange something!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search