MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
easy electives for first year luna First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 06-29-2010 11:29 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM
Easy first-year Social Sciences Electives? Mr.Prodigy Academics 6 12-08-2008 07:36 AM

Easy First Year Electives

Old 07-16-2007 at 10:38 AM   #31
s.luu

Liked: 0 Times

does anyone know anything about sociology 1A06..?
Old 07-16-2007 at 10:59 AM   #32
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

After a little googling

Sociology 1A06
Introduction to Sociology

SAMPLE OUTLINE

COURSE DESCRIPTION
This course is a general introduction to the discipline of sociology. The main objective will be to explore ways of understanding the social organization of our society and human behaviour. We will investigate theoretical and methodological approaches used in analyzing major substantive issues that guide social life.

The course will be divided into 3 major sections. We will begin with an introduction to the main perspectives and concepts that guide sociology and the research methods that allow us to study them. The second section focuses on culture and socialization including a look at how the family, gender, and media affect our socialization, while exploring forms of inequality in society and the impact of this on social life.

Specifically we will focus on social stratification, gender, race and ethnic inequality. Finally we will look at the processes of social change including urbanization, environment, population and aging, globalization, deviance and social movements.

COURSE OUTLINE & READING SCHEDULE

Week 1
Developing a Sociological Imagination &
Introduction to Theory

Week 2
Sociological Investigation/ Research Methods

Week 3
Society/Socialization
Sexuality/Homosexuality

Week 4
Victoria Day – No Class

Week 5
Media & Review for Test #1
Wednesday May 30 TEST #1

Week 6
Gender Stratification
Race/Ethnicity and Class Stratification

Week 7
Groups and Organizations

Week 8
Family

Week 9
Deviance

Week 11
Health & Medicine - Pharmaceuticals

Week 12
Aging
RESEARCH PAPER DUE

Week 13
Population & Urbanization
Environment

Week 14
Collective Behaviour & Social Movements &

FINAL EXAM

Research Paper (25% of course grade)
The paper will consist of the following. Students will define a sociological research question. The topic must be relevant to information in the Macionis text or an issue discussed in lecture. The Macionis text identifies research topics throughout each chapter, in the boxes and in the form of critical-thinking questions at the end of each chapter. Write a research paper that examines and analyzes a sociological topic and addresses a research question using a sociological theory.

The paper should be 4-5 pages in length. It is due in class on Wednesday July 18, 2007. The paper should be typewritten in 12 point font, double-spaced, with one inch margins on all sides. Each assignment must include a title page with at least your name, student number, title and date. You may use either MLA or Chicago Manual documentation style for references and bibliography. These are outlined in detail in the little brown essential handbook for writers. Please keep an additional copy of your paper in case it is lost or misplaced. More specific details will be discussed in class.

*Most of the grade will be based on the quality of what is written. However, assignments will also be marked for grammar, spelling and clarity. Please be sure to proofread.

Another outline from Fall/Winter

Interesting extra: Library Research Help tutorial:
http://library.mcmaster.ca/mills/soc1a06jan07.ppt
Old 07-16-2007 at 11:10 AM   #33
s.luu

woww thanks chad i heard it is a frustrating course though is that true
Old 07-16-2007 at 11:16 AM   #34
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

What are you looking to major in for your second year? If you're wanting to get into Sociology... it looks like that is a required course.

But if you're taking it just for fun, it looks like it covers a lot of material so I'm not sure how easy it would be.

I personally haven't taken the course.
Old 07-16-2007 at 11:23 AM   #35
s.luu

thank you im in business and i heard on orientation day that it has assignments that could help bring up my mark so i chose it.. but now it doesn't seem like such a good idea anymore haha
Old 07-16-2007 at 11:29 AM   #36
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I know a bunch of people who were going into commerce in their second year so they took it in their first. They said it was pretty easy. I actually edited an essay for a buddy of mine, and the topic was crazy easy.
Old 07-16-2007 at 11:34 AM   #37
s.luu

ooh that helps a lot haha thank youu
Old 07-16-2007 at 05:55 PM   #38
tasha

has anyone taken classics 1B03? How is the course? easy, hard? What the course consist of... like how many essay and stuff does this course have? Right now I'm trying to choose between that and anthrop 1A03!
Old 07-16-2007 at 06:49 PM   #39
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I would say probably two essays, a midterm and a final. That's pretty standard for all classes. I don't know anything else other than that about classics, as i've never taken any before.

Only Anthros...
Old 07-16-2007 at 07:30 PM   #40
instantkarma

Poli Sci 1G06?
I was wondering what you fine folks had to say about Political Science 1G06.
It's in the exact same time slot as Sociology 1A06, but I chose Poli Sci because I want to get into journalism and a background in Political Science would be beneficial for that.
However, I took a sociology course in grade 12, and we basically covered all of the topics that are listed in the course outline for 1A06, so I think I would do pretty well. I also took a Politics course last year and I was wondering if the stuff I learned is similar to the things they teach in Poli Sci 1G06.

So bottom line: was it wise to choose Poli Sci over Socio? Should I change courses?
Old 07-16-2007 at 08:39 PM   #41
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If you think pol sci is going to be beneficial for you, take that. And possibly continue that as a major if you'll think it will help.

You can always take the sociology as an elective in second year.

what faculty are you in, instantkarma?
Old 07-16-2007 at 09:23 PM   #42
instantkarma

I'm in Humanities, seriously considering communication studies as a major and possibly doubling with poli sci or french.
I'm really paranoid because I don't want to screw anything up if I don't take one of the courses I need as a prereq for upper-year courses.
Old 07-16-2007 at 11:15 PM   #43
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Double check with the undergrad calender: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...2007/index.htm but there usually aren't many prerequisite courses for first year. As long as you take pol sci 1a06 and the comm courses you are fine for year two.
Old 07-17-2007 at 03:31 PM   #44
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantkarma View Post
I'm in Humanities, seriously considering communication studies as a major and possibly doubling with poli sci or french.
I'm really paranoid because I don't want to screw anything up if I don't take one of the courses I need as a prereq for upper-year courses.
Luckily to get into CMST you only need to get a B- in CMST 1A03. But other than that, you can take any other humanities courses as long as you complete your 30 first year units.
Old 07-17-2007 at 11:55 PM   #45
AfRaYHMU

Hey there Danielle,

Its Ray here. We were almost welcome week reps together I hope you remember me. I see your quite active in the first year loop as per usual and I just stumbled onto this great site you guys have here. Very nice I like. Anywayz, you asked for a science student's perspective for easy electives and I am here to answer.

Basically, the Faculty of Science doesn't carry much "easy" electives. LOLOLOL.

I'd say your best bet is to take Inquiry 1SC3 or any one of the 3 Enviro Sci courses: 1A03, 1B03 and 1G03.

Id figure most Science I students won't have much room for these courses as most would take both Psychs and would end up taking 1 non-Science course as there last 1 or 2 choices since the rest of their courses are Science.

*Sigh* Life of a science student. When you get to 2nd year all u first years out there, contact me again and I'll compile you with a list of bird courses 10 times as big . See ye everyone