MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year Msc Student librakhan Introduce Yourself 0 08-22-2010 05:38 PM
HELP!!! the clueless 2nd year student jimimusic Academics 3 08-19-2010 04:14 PM
Help With 1st Year New Student Card Desda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-07-2010 02:57 PM
residence 2nd year - transfer student! canyoufindme Residence & Housing 15 11-10-2009 06:58 PM
Regarding summer school as a first year student Mahratta First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 05-19-2009 02:18 AM

Hi... 1st year MBA student

Old 06-29-2010 at 11:14 PM   #1
reed.gz

Liked: 1 Time

Hi... 1st year MBA student
My program starts Sep, so I went to Hamilton today....checked out the ads on off-campus housing website.

Those basement residences suck! small room, next to none furniture, horrible washroom...

Where do you guys live off-campus?

cheers,
Reed
Old 06-29-2010 at 11:22 PM   #2
reed.gz

Is there anyone looking to share a two BR apartment?

I am a nerdy guy. no smoking, no drinking, no pets, no drugs... no noisy friend/buddy/gf.

Brings my own furniture...
Old 07-01-2010 at 01:17 AM   #3
nescient

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed.gz View Post
Is there anyone looking to share a two BR apartment?

I am a nerdy guy. no smoking, no drinking, no pets, no drugs... no noisy friend/buddy/gf.

Brings my own furniture...
Hii Reed,

I am Abhijit. Me too, a first year MBA student!! I am also looking for accommodation. Though not exactly searching since I am still in India. But it will be great if we can workout something. Can you let me know other details such as, rent, lease tenure, amenities included(or not). I can be reached at [email protected] il.com and +919824257871.

See ya soon buddy.

-Abhijit...
Old 07-01-2010 at 11:16 PM   #4
reed.gz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nescient View Post
Hii Reed,

I am Abhijit. Me too, a first year MBA student!! I am also looking for accommodation. Though not exactly searching since I am still in India. But it will be great if we can workout something. Can you let me know other details such as, rent, lease tenure, amenities included(or not). I can be reached at [email protected]gma il.com and +919824257871.

See ya soon buddy.

-Abhijit...
Hi Abhijit,

I think the on-campus accommodation is the best for you. But it may be too late now! have you tried to contact the university?

Next week I am going to Hamilton again, meeting someone with a vacant room close to university.

The other landlords are asking for $350~500 per mo for a basement room around the university. But the living condition is not great.

Reed
Old 07-02-2010 at 12:25 AM   #5
nescient

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed.gz View Post
Hi Abhijit,

I think the on-campus accommodation is the best for you. But it may be too late now! have you tried to contact the university?

Next week I am going to Hamilton again, meeting someone with a vacant room close to university.

The other landlords are asking for $350~500 per mo for a basement room around the university. But the living condition is not great.

Reed
Hi Reed,

The on campus accommodation may be good in terms of infrastructure and living conditions in general however, it seems a bit costly(living + food expenses) as compared to off campus arrangements. I mean you can customize things as per your budget if you are off campus. Maybe thats why I haven't come across any MBA student looking for on-campus rez....btw, the info posted regarding residences on Mac site always seems to be addressed to the undergrads...anyways will mail the univ nothing to loose thr.

Best of luck for your search. Do let me know if you come across a good place and want a partner.

Have you checked out craigslist.org appears there are some good deals out there.

-Abhijit...

Last edited by nescient : 07-02-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-02-2010 at 07:53 AM   #6
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I'm pretty sure grad students typically do not live on residence. It's also probably a lot better for you to live off-campus not only because it's a lot cheaper but also because residence-wide activities are indeed primarily geared at first year undergrads, which make up 80% of the residence population, and you wouldn't have to deal with the banging on doors during Welcome Week (i.e. orientation).

I would be wary about craigslist as it's open to the general public and sometimes people post some pretty sketchy ads. Also, don't MBA students also get prepaid/unlimited HSR as well? If so, you might even consider a house that is slightly farther away.
Old 07-02-2010 at 10:11 AM   #7
nescient

@nh999

Ya you are right. I had sent a mail to Univ regarding the residences and this is what they had to say
Quote:
Unfortunately, Residence Admissions only has reserved bed spaces for full-time Undergraduate students.
You make a point about HSR...Can you elaborate a bit about HSR...what is it?...
Old 07-05-2010 at 10:31 AM   #8
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Oh sorry...HSR = Hamilton Street Railway, also known as the Hamilton local transit. Most students are required to pay for the HSR in their tuition fees (one exception would be medical students) for a much lower price than it would cost even if you bought a monthly pass every month. Essentially, you are paying cheap (not technically "free" as many students consider it!) for unlimited travel on the HSR during the school year. Grad students can get the HSR "free" for the whole year but undergrads only get it for 8 months. However, some "special" postgraduate programs have opted out, so I'm not sure if you are paying for it for your program.