MacInsiders Logo

La maison francaise

Old 02-22-2010 at 07:18 PM   #1
Olivia.

Liked: 9 Times

La maison francaise
First off, I am very pleased to say that I recieved my acceptance letter on Friday! meaning I am most definitely attending Mac next year! woohoo!
Well..considering I have gone through all of my school years in french, I have been leaning towards the french theme. I'm hoping it will be an excuse to keep up my french, but who knows haha
I was wondering if anyone else was interested and what building it is most likely to be held in. To tell you the truth I'm really interested in Hedden Hall and that might influence the whole theme deal in general :p
Old 02-22-2010 at 07:22 PM   #2
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

First off,
Congratulations on you acceptance!
La maison francais has always been in Edwards hall, which is a very nice residence, and like many other residences has its pros and cons. I highly doubt they'll change it around this coming year, but yeah it's I believe the 3rd floor of Eddy.

Olivia. says thanks to Cristina_n13 for this post.
Old 02-22-2010 at 07:31 PM   #3
Olivia.

Oh, well that may change a lot hahaha
It doesn't help that I haven't seen the inside of Hedden or Edwards..so who knows. It may be more than worth my while to visit the campus again over march break
Old 02-22-2010 at 07:32 PM   #4
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

There's no way to guarantee which res you'll get into (unless you want something specific like the french thing...in which case if you get in, you'll be in Edwards). But otherwise it's all random. So I wouldn't recommend holding out on the french theme on the chance you MIGHT get into Hedden.

Edit: I live in Hedden and I love it lol. But I've never been inside Edwards so I have no idea what it's like lol
Old 02-22-2010 at 07:36 PM   #5
Olivia.

this is very true...hmmmm, well this also all depends on whether or not I'm rooming with a friend or a stranger, so I will have to wait and see!
well in that case would anyone be able to tell me a little more about Edwards ? ..the pros and cons.. are the bathrooms common or single ? are the rooms very big ?
Old 02-22-2010 at 07:38 PM   #6
Olivia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Edit: I live in Hedden and I love it lol. But I've never been inside Edwards so I have no idea what it's like lol
aah, I know, the more I hear about Hedden the more I fall in love
Old 02-22-2010 at 07:46 PM   #7
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivia. View Post
this is very true...hmmmm, well this also all depends on whether or not I'm rooming with a friend or a stranger, so I will have to wait and see!
well in that case would anyone be able to tell me a little more about Edwards ? ..the pros and cons.. are the bathrooms common or single ? are the rooms very big ?

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ight=pros+cons

Olivia. says thanks to crazyfree for this post.
Old 02-22-2010 at 08:11 PM   #8
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

I lived in edwards for the past two years and the rooms are huge...Bigger than any other residence. It is a small residence (~100 students) so you get to know everyone. It is very quiet and right in the center of campus.
Old 02-22-2010 at 08:12 PM   #9
Olivia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
I lived in edwards for the past two years and the rooms are huge...Bigger than any other residence. It is a small residence (~100 students) so you get to know everyone. It is very quiet and right in the center of campus.
That's good to know! Thanks
Old 02-23-2010 at 08:05 AM   #10
Cristina_n13

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
There's no way to guarantee which res you'll get into (unless you want something specific like the french thing...in which case if you get in, you'll be in Edwards). But otherwise it's all random. So I wouldn't recommend holding out on the french theme on the chance you MIGHT get into Hedden.
I think what you mean is that it's more likely to get a room in Maison Francais if you rank it #1 than others who just put a single or double room as their choice. Which is completely true. However keep in mind that there are only 30 or so spaces and in my first year (when we could rank buildings) 4 of my friends and I all ranked La maison francais as #1 and International House as #2, Then Hedden #3, none of us were placed where we wanted so it's definitly NOT a guarantee. On the other picking a double room (without a theme) you have a 1/5 (approximately) chance of getting Hedden randomly. How lucky are you because really it is a lottery and a the luck of the draw!
Good Luck!
Old 02-23-2010 at 10:41 AM   #11
Matt

Liked: 0 Times

Hey
I live in la maison francais this year and I think its pretty sweet. It really depends on the people you have during your year but the building is nice, small quiet and right in the centre of campus (its really handy for everything). But if you want to be here to speak french, hmmm je ne sais pas. Once again it depends on the people you have in your year but for this one I rarely hear french being spoken.
So saying its a good place to live and I've heard we know more people in our res than in other, bigger rez's. I have a couple friends in Hedden and its a good res too but if I were to choose I'd stick with eddy.
Most rooms are a fair size. Bigger than most anything else I've seen but only a few people scored really big rooms.
Old 02-23-2010 at 12:07 PM   #12
alessandro91

Liked: 3 Times

Hello Olivia,

I currently live in Edwards as well. I live on the first floor, which is part of the International theme. I picked La Maison Francaise as my third/fourth of five options (I ordered them as follows, Int. House dbl. w/ wshrm., Int. House dbl., La Maison Francaise w/ wshrm., La Maison Francaise and, finally, traditional dbl). I didn't pick Maison Francaise first, because I figured that I wouldn't be using much French; however, it's rather ironic, since I did ultimately take French 1A06 this year (I initially wasn't able to because of my program requirements, but it all worked out). Anyhow, the preferred language is definitely English - we do have a few odd conversations in French every once in a while. However, I'd imagine it all depends on your year - it's possible that more people would be interested in speaking French next year.

However, I would strongly suggest (based on my experience) for you to pick Edwards as your first choice. I will admit, however, that I am quite bias. As Matt mentioned, the rooms are above average size (quite a bit bigger than all of my friends' rooms in other residences) and it's really amazing that you will get to literally know everyone in your building. Edwards has a very warm feel, and we're all very close. We also have a lot of really interesting events throughout the year.

As others have mentioned, Edwards is in the centre of campus. If I have a class in the Arts quad, I can leave my room at 10:28 and be there at 10:30 with time to spare.

In addition, if you would like to continue your French, perhaps you could consider taking French 1A06 if you have the elective space. It's a fantastic course, and it's one of my favourites (I'm in Science). I took core French throughout high school. My class only has about 30 people, and the prof is amazing! I found that it has really helped with my conversational skills and has improved my French - I also plan to minor in French.

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message!

Take care, and congratulations on your acceptance!

Olivia. says thanks to alessandro91 for this post.
Old 02-23-2010 at 05:31 PM   #13
Olivia.

Well, all three of you have most definitely been a big help for the decision! Thanks guys!
Maybe I'll put maison francaise as my first choice and hope for the best. But it's no big, I have untill, what, July ? haha

And alessandro91, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to be in med rad sci next year. I will have 2 electives and I was most definitely planning on taking some sort of french (preferrably the easiest one) as a..I don't know..bird class ? :p
My brother went to Laurentian and took french hoping for the same thing, but after the entry test they placed him in 2nd year! ack! When he asked if he could just be in the advanced french istead of hard, they refused because "it would be unfair" even though they would bump UP if he wanted..sooo, my lesson in all of this...purposefully fail the entry test. haha
Old 02-23-2010 at 06:16 PM   #14
alessandro91

Liked: 3 Times

My pleasure! McMaster has three streams of first year courses (1Z06 - "Beginner's Intensive I", 1K06 - "Intensive Review of French" and 1A06 - "Introduction to French Studies: Advanced Level"). Immersion/Francophone students may only register in 1A06. However, I took core French, and I'm extremely happy I took 1A06 - amazing class, in my opinion. If you do decide to take 1K06, for example, and you wish to continue your studies in French in Upper years, you would need to take French 2M06, which is the equivalent of 1A06 - so that would also be something to consider. But, there's plenty of time to think about that later.

Again, I am bias toward Edwards, and it all depends on your year - I have had such a fantastic experience here. The International house is awesome as well. Congrats on getting into Med Rad! Everyone I know in the program really enjoys it.
Old 02-23-2010 at 07:43 PM   #15
Olivia.

whoa wait..there are OTHER courses offered in french ? if so, this is great news to me!!
and thanks again that's all I hear about the program. I'm terribly excited!