MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guidance ShafaS General Discussion 1 10-26-2017 10:57 PM
Cancel Guidance appointment stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 05-28-2012 10:22 PM
Guidance Counselor Mac12 Academics 1 09-06-2011 08:26 PM
Guidance Counselor Cliu91 Academics 3 02-01-2011 03:29 PM
out of province: no guidance? audiosonic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 04-21-2009 07:37 PM

Looking for guidance regarding Policy

Old 03-15-2018 at 11:56 AM   #1
nursinggal

Liked: 1 Time

Looking for guidance regarding Policy
Im a first year RPN-BScN student. I previously went to mohawk and don't have much experience within a university setting.
Im having a lot of problems with one of our core nursing courses --> Nursing 2T0A.

This is the first year they have implemented this course to be graded. It previously has been on a pass/fail basis.

I cannot express to you the lack of organization around this. The learning manual/outline/sequence has been revised many times, without notification or outlining changes. It is still not reflective of what is to be done.
I have contacted the program lead to no avail. I need to know if there is any publicly expressed information that can help me to show them they are breaking rules. For example, can a tutor change the manual/schedule ECT, after a certain timeframe? if things are not outlined on learning sequences, are they still expected? I can understand this is obviously a huge battle to tackle, and probably won't end up well in my favour but I feel I should know my rights, and don't even know where to start.

Chad likes this.
Old 03-16-2018 at 09:29 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Hey Jos

Sorry to hear you're experiencing such trouble with the Nursing 2T0A class. It sounds like it wasn't well organized from the start, and so they are trying to make changes as you take the class - which is obviously frustrating since you expect consistency while taking a course so you know what is expected of you to get the highest mark possible.

It's disappointing to see that you reached out to the program lead but weren't acknowledged or helped. That's frustrating! You would expect that the lead would want to hear feedback, given it's a new format this year.

Have you tried to go above their head to whomever is higher up in charge? Faculty head?

example... I would reach out to the Executive Assistant to Associate Dean & Director of the Nursing Faculty, her name is Sue Giavedoni x22400 email: [email protected]

nursinggal says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 03-21-2018 at 09:46 AM   #3
nursinggal

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks for your reply, Chad!

I have since tried to contact the associate dean of the school of nursing through Mohawk, I successfully contacted her. I have tried to arrange a meeting with her, with no reply x2 to her associate assistant.

customarily, is there anyone else you would take this to? in your opinion, do you feel like this is an unworthy fight?
Old 04-02-2018 at 09:17 PM   #4
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times

Hey there,

Im not in nursing but in regards to policy you might want to reach out to OMBUDS on campus (located second floor MUSC), if you feel that your needs are not being addressed by administration and the faculty.

Good luck with everything!
Old 02-25-2019 at 09:21 AM   #5
Sue Giavedoni

Liked: 0 Times

Hi nursinggal,

I just saw this post now. Unfortunately, it is almost a year old now, but I wanted to let you know, that if you still are having issues, please contact me and I can put you through to someone who can help you. I am always happy to help our Nursing students, whenever I can.

My name is Sue Giavedoni, and my email is [email protected] and I work for the Vice-Dean & Executive Director of the School of Nursing at the McMaster site.