How good is MOSAIC going to be? lightsms Academics 6 08-13-2013 09:06 PM

MOSAIC Help & Discussion Official Thread

Old 03-25-2015 at 09:42 AM   #31
chrisA

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Transcripts temporarily unavailable

03/23/2015 9:17AM

The team is completing the final testing and validation of this functionality.

Students who have an urgent transcript request should visit the Registrar’s Office in Gilmour Hall 108 for assistance.

The project team looks forward to adding transcripts to the many other functions it has delivered in the Mosaic Student Centre and apologizes for any inconvenience this delay may cause.
So we wait.
Old 03-26-2015 at 04:05 PM   #32
escape

Liked: 38 Times

hey guys,

Where can i apply for McWork for summer on mosaic? Can't seem to find it anywhere
Old 03-26-2015 at 04:43 PM   #33
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

I'm actually amazed at how fucked up this piece of software is. The interface is pure autism and they totally fucked up the migration. A ton of data appears to be lost and they "compressed" a lot of figures; all my payment records have been simply added together with a single payment generated on 3/15/2015 (probably the date of when mosaic launched). Historical scholarship data is corrupted too.

I actually need this data accurate for filing Canadian taxes.

Whoever commissioned building this garbage for 40 million dollars needs to be fired immediately.

Jesus Christ is our administration ever a bunch of incompetent fucks.

... on a positive node, looks like http://www.timetablegenerato r.com won't be obsolete any time soon.
Old 03-27-2015 at 06:04 PM   #34
SciGuy

Liked: 1 Time

Is anyone still unable to register for summer classes? It says I don't have the higschool pre requisites even though I do...
Old 03-27-2015 at 10:16 PM   #35
kaoruyumi

Liked: 0 Times

^that happened to me when mosiac first launched. have you tried recently?

i was just able to enroll when before, it was telling me i didn't have the high school and/or first year prereqs (which i do).
Old 03-28-2015 at 01:34 AM   #36
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I wanted to register for 2 courses. The second course is in second semester and will require the one I'm doing in first semester as a prereq and it's not letting me register for the second course because I technically haven't finished the first one. Any help? Is there someone i can contact about this? Or is there gonna be something like a second registration session between the two terms where Ill be able to add it?
Old 03-28-2015 at 09:55 AM   #37
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperious View Post
I wanted to register for 2 courses. The second course is in second semester and will require the one I'm doing in first semester as a prereq and it's not letting me register for the second course because I technically haven't finished the first one. Any help? Is there someone i can contact about this? Or is there gonna be something like a second registration session between the two terms where Ill be able to add it?
Contact your academic advisor or something. It should be letting you add the courses. The AA might not be the person who can fix it but they can hopefully direct you to someone who can.
Old 03-28-2015 at 12:54 PM   #38
SciGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoruyumi View Post
^that happened to me when mosiac first launched. have you tried recently?

i was just able to enroll when before, it was telling me i didn't have the high school and/or first year prereqs (which i do).
I've been trying since Wednesday and I tried again today, and it still doesn't work :S
Old 03-30-2015 at 09:47 AM   #39
goatandsheep

Security flaws in Mosaic
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars View Post
who the fuck invented this piece of shit
Oracle, the maker of Java. However, McMaster isn't even using the most recent version of the software and thus it is ugly and there are a lot of problems.

After doing a bit of snooping, I noticed that there are also a ton of security flaws with the system:

These are such major issues. I say they start over, but in the meantime, anyone know where I can report these? I know these are some of the bug reports, but still...
Old 03-30-2015 at 10:20 AM   #40
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatandsheep View Post
Oracle, the maker of Java.
I think it's more fair to say the owners of Java. As far as I know, Java is developed pretty independently under Oracle. Funding that is pretty much the only good thing about Oracle.

Those security flaws are typical of Oracle's garbage. Oracle is famous for putting junior devs as team leads. They also make "support" contracts rather than fixed price contracts, meaning the longer they take, the more they get paid. Hence why it took nearly 5 years for this piece of crap to get built for a ridiculous price.

Funny enough, the state of Oregon sued them after they spent 23 million dollars delivering an incredibly underwhelming health care website. Not sure how that turned out... I think they countersued.

I wouldn't be surprised if McMaster is stuck with them for the next decade because of this.

I would say it's a good opportunity for students to innovate and come up with something on their own, such as Waterloo students did with UWflow... but McMaster's administration has zero interest in collaborative student projects of any kind.

goatandsheep likes this.