MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mark As Sold - Changes Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-08-2010 12:12 PM
disputing(?) final marks teresa Academics 11 03-21-2010 12:33 AM
Need more information about a mark savannah123 Academics 9 01-21-2010 05:56 PM
What is a failing mark? Cassandraa87 Academics 4 01-10-2010 12:04 AM
Calculating Course Mark rossignol First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 12-12-2009 05:47 PM

Question about disputing a mark?

Old 12-22-2009 at 09:42 PM   #1
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Question about disputing a mark?
I have a question about how I would go about finding out more information on a mark or disputing it.

First I need to find out how I got that mark to see if it is indeed correct, but if my calculations are correct I feel I need to dispute the mark.

I just looked at my grade report and 4 of my grades have already been posted. One of these grades immediately stuck out to me like a sore thumb as being far too low based on how I was doing in the course. I went to check Moodle to double check my marks, and see what mark I received on my final paper and everything considered the low mark that is showing on my Grade Report marks no sense.

The only thing I never received a grade back for was a group presentation worth 20% of the mark so I couldn't include that in my calculations but based on how it went and the feedback received I have no reason to believe my group did poorly on it. Also even if we received only a 50% on the presentation (which I don't believe we did) my final mark should not mathematically be as low as the Grade Report is showing.

Is there a possibility that someone at the registrar messed up when entering the grade, or that the Professor messed up in relaying the grade to them?

Sorry if it seems like I'm freaking out but I am.

Anyway basically I would like the know the proper way of going about finding out why I have received this mark and how I would dispute it. I'm not sure who I would contact to let them know I feel this mark is incorrect and I would like it to be double checked? Should I contact the Professor directly, or what is the proper procedure for this kind of situation? I imagine there is a proper procedure, mistakes are made and I would imagine students go about trying to find out more information and correct them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2009 at 09:50 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I have the same problem right now. The most I think we can do for now, is contact the professor directly by e-mail. They might say to come in the new year to review your marks, and see how it all added up. I'm hoping that maybe someone just made a mistake somewhere, as marks weren't even supposed to be posted this early.
Old 12-22-2009 at 09:51 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Based on my calculations this I'm 99.9% positive this is a mistake on someone's part. There's not a chance I did as poorly as the Grade Report says so something, somewhere went wrong.

I'm going to e-mail my Professor. Even I don't get a response anytime soon I still want to make sure I get the e-mail out there and get the ball rolling.
Old 12-22-2009 at 09:53 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Now I'm 100% positive that its a mistake. I just spoke to someone who was in my group for the presentation and compared marks so its impossible that I would have gotten this mark based on what they got.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:08 PM   #5
saeeds5

Liked: 1 Time

How i delt with my mark dispute.
The same thing happened to me this year. I wrote my deferred exam for one of my Earth Science courses. The mark on my grade report didn't seem right. I went to the department and got it fixed. My prof was a grad student and she made a big mistake in calculating my final mark. I wasn't surprised when i found out that it was an error on her part because throughout the course she was so unorganized and unprofessional. I also found out that she had left Mac when i wrote the exam and the person who checked my exam wasn't even given the answers and marking scheme to check my exam.
During all this process i came across hard evidence (tons of folders containing exam papers which had errors regarding marking or calculation) of profs making errors in marking and calculation that i was surprised that a school which well known all across the world is filled with so much imperfections ( I am not asking for them to be perfect but this is one thing where errors can be avoided and they should be avoided because future of students is depended on it). I can bet that if all the students go and get their exam rechecked, half of them can get their mark adjusted and get what they deserve.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:12 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

I actually found all of my marks on Moodle and did the calculations and instead of having a 6 like the Grade Report is showing I should actually have a 10 in the course. This is a large discrepancy, so obviously somewhere along the line an error was made.

I sent an e-mail to my Prof so hopefully it will get sorted out eventually. With the holiday I imagine it will be later rather than sooner but as long as the error is corrected in the system.

Thanks for the info Saeeds but I think this was just simple human error and I actually don't believe it was an error in calculation on the Professor's part. He has all the correct grades listed on Moodle under assignments so unless he accidentally left one out I'm assuming this was a communication or input error on the part of whoever put the grade in.

Last edited by sew12 : 12-22-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-22-2009 at 10:15 PM   #7
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeeds5 View Post
The same thing happened to me this year. I wrote my deferred exam for one of my Earth Science courses. The mark on my grade report didn't seem right. I went to the department and got it fixed. My prof was a grad student and she made a big mistake in calculating my final mark. I wasn't surprised when i found out that it was an error on her part because throughout the course she was so unorganized and unprofessional. I also found out that she had left Mac when i wrote the exam and the person who checked my exam wasn't even given the answers and marking scheme to check my exam.
During all this process i came across hard evidence (tons of folders containing exam papers which had errors regarding marking or calculation) of profs making errors in marking and calculation that i was surprised that a school which well known all across the world is filled with so much imperfections ( I am not asking for them to be perfect but this is one thing where errors can be avoided and they should be avoided because future of students is depended on it). I can bet that if all the students go and get their exam rechecked, half of them can get their mark adjusted and get what they deserve.
Are you serious? Shit.

Well, I think everyone should take that knowledge and check all of their marks, even if they're adequate marks. No harm in doing so.
Old 12-23-2009 at 12:12 AM   #8
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeeds5 View Post
would this be common with multiple choice questions? I know short answers they can definitely makes mistakes and arguing is a hassle. How long do they keep your exam for anyway?
Old 12-23-2009 at 12:15 AM   #9
saeeds5

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
would this be common with multiple choice questions? I know short answers they can definitely makes mistakes and arguing is a hassle. How long do they keep your exam for anyway?
Well according to University rules you have exactly six months from the date you wrote your exam.
Old 12-23-2009 at 12:30 AM   #10
goldfish101

Liked: 19 Times

hey! what is moodle? where can I check my grades on mooodle? because i think I may have a great problem with my mark... thanks
Old 12-23-2009 at 12:33 AM   #11
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish101 View Post
hey! what is moodle? where can I check my grades on mooodle? because i think I may have a great problem with my mark... thanks
Moodle is a LMS (learning management system) just like ELM. It's an open-source one they use a lot in the Humanities faculty. All my Multimedia Professors use Moodle as opposed to ELM, I like it a lot better.

If your Professor wasn't using Moodle throughout the term your Grades won't be there.

If you have your syllabus and all the marks you got on course material you should be able to figure out approximately what your mark should be, or at least a range. You may not have your exam mark or final paper mark though so that might be more difficult.

With my course there was no exam to factor in so I could calculate my exam mark based on all the assignment marks and weightings from the syllabus. Its not as easy for all courses.

goldfish101 says thanks to sew12 for this post.