MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
employment opportunities Diversity Volunteering Opportunities 13 08-27-2007 09:34 PM

What You Should Be Doing Over the Holidays: Exploring Job Opportunities

BY DANIELLE LORENZ, MACINSIDERS

Exams are wrapping up for the term, and if you're done (or almost there) I'm sure you're thinking about the couple of weeks of freedom you will have and how awesome it will be to spend time with friends, family, and food.

This is all well and good, but many students do not realize that they should start looking for their summer job now too. A lot of companies do summer hiring in January, and as a result it seems a lot of students are scrambling to find somewhere to work come March. So my advice for you is to spend some of your time over the break looking for jobs and creating your job profile.

Have you set up an account on LinkedIn yet? If you haven't, do it. It is (yet another) social networking site, but relates specifically to your job and job experience. You fill out a profile (that reads similar to a CV or resume), and find contacts from school or work, which in turn can put you in contact with people in various industries. You can check out my profile to give you a better idea.

Also, remember that you do make a digital footprint, so if you have anything that could be the least bit incriminating on Facebook (pictures of drunken exploits), make sure your profile is set to private. A good way to check out your digital footprint is by Googling yourself. I've done it, and my name shows up a lot (3.8 million times), because there seem to be several people with my name or one similar.

There are tons of options for students, which I outlined this summer in this article. I've given a similar list below:

McMasterObviously, these are sites developed for Mac students, and some have jobs that will be on campus. Some of the OSCAR positions however are "open" so you will be in competition for these jobs with students from other schools too.

Job Search Sites (Specific)TalentEgg has the aim of finding meaningful positions for students and new grads; so you will not see generic positions here (CollegePro Painters, etc). Charity Village deals with the non-profit sector, so if you're looking at working an NGO or similar there are lots of options for you here too. Job Bank shows all of the jobs available within the Canadian government, and does have a specific search function for post-secondary students.

Job Search Sites (General)These are more "general" job boards...so often they don't have a lot of options available for students. But they are worth a shot.

Classified WebsitesThese sites function like classified ads in a newspaper...so there is no guarantee you will find a legitimate or good job here. But again, there is no harm in looking. Companies do use these sites because they are available for free, so you may find a diamond in the rough if you look hard enough!

If you haven't even started thinking about looking for a job for the summer, this can get those wheels turning. I do highly suggest however that you all start looking for a job sooner rather than later, otherwise you will end up looknig in March and get stuck with something you don't want!

Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 12-18-2009 at 02:06 PM   #2
manu
jack
Faculty: Science
Year: Masters

Liked: 75 Times
I wish this was posted last year...I did not even think about a job until my last exam was over in April and I ended up having a temp job at Manulife for only 2 weeks. It was the worst summer ever!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-18-2009 at 02:08 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
To be honest, I never thought about writing the article until this summer! But I'm a little bit more on-the-ball this year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-18-2009 at 02:17 PM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
I googled myself yesterday and I come up (literally me... not people with my name) on the first page in 9 out of the 11 hits. Fortunately, none of them are anything to worry about.

Just goes to show though how even someone like myself (a very private person when it comes to the internet) will show up online with relative ease. Be careful out there.

lorend, xo.monica, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Taunton for this post.

Old 12-18-2009 at 02:17 PM   #5
jo87
Elite Member
Program: Social Sciences
Year: Second

Liked: 152 Times
Career Services has Summer Job Search workshops in January and Feb, so make sure you register if you want some really good tips on finding work. You won't regret going!You can register on OSCAR.
Old 12-18-2009 at 08:38 PM   #6
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
localwork.ca is another good site!

xhorizon says thanks to temara.brown for this post.
Old 12-18-2009 at 09:06 PM   #7
salimak
Program: Biology
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 21 Times
I recommend going to your old highschool and posting a tutoring ad in the guidance office. Most high schools have exams after the break and its a pretty flexible schedual and well paying. Also it help to know teachers in the school to use as references.

temara.brown likes this.
Old 12-23-2009 at 11:56 AM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia

Liked: 1,731 Times
Great posting!
Old 12-23-2009 at 04:58 PM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
OMFG, LOL.
Google "Cheri Lawley" in images, NOW.
EPICCCC.
I'd rather lose a job opportunity than have that taken down.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 12-24-2009 at 01:14 AM   #10
Katia
Account Disabled by User
Program: Commerce

Liked: 36 Times
This is an awesome post. I had no clue where to start in terms of searching for employment, just because I never wanted to get a job after grad. now I think I'll try.

lorend says thanks to Katia for this post.
Old 12-24-2009 at 10:28 AM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
TalentEgg has some really cool ones with Mattel right now. If I had more training in those areas I'd sooooo apply.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-28-2009 at 04:28 PM   #12
manu
jack

So i am doing an application right now and it says copy and paste your resume here and the format comes out funny...Should i fix it or is it fixed automatically when the employer looks at it? lol
Old 12-28-2009 at 05:14 PM   #13
reeves
Jedi IRL
Program: Classics
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 557 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
So i am doing an application right now and it says copy and paste your resume here and the format comes out funny...Should i fix it or is it fixed automatically when the employer looks at it? lol
I fix mine for those, or manually type it in, just in case

manu says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 12-28-2009 at 05:23 PM   #14
Infinity
Elite Member
Program: Science

Liked: 93 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post

you should fix it.

it won't look right and the employer won't bother fixing it. btw where are you applying?

manu says thanks to Infinity for this post.
Old 12-28-2009 at 06:05 PM   #15
manu
jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
you should fix it.

it won't look right and the employer won't bother fixing it. btw where are you applying?
American Express

Article Tools