MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
DREAMS @ MAC Call for Donations lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 11-30-2008 03:13 PM

10 Lies You'll Hear Before Pursuing Your Dreams

Read an article today on pursuing your dreams. As a student, you have dreams of what you will achieve career-wise and/or want to do. Along the way you may encounter some of the advice listed.

Excerpt: Unfortunately, just before you take your first step on the righteous journey to pursue your dreams, people around you, even the ones who deeply care for you, will give you awful advice. It’s not because they have evil intentions. It’s because they don’t understand the big picture—what your dreams, passions, and life goals mean to you. They don’t understand that, to you, the reward is worth the risk.

So they try to protect you by shielding you from the possibility of failure, which, in effect, also shields you from the possibility of making your dreams a reality.

As our friend Steve Jobs says:
“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice, heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

Here are ten ill-advised tips (lies) people will likely tell you when you decide to pursue your dreams and the reasons why they are dreadfully mistaken...

See all 10 listed here: http://www.mint.com/blog/trends/lies-10292010/

What are some things you've been told either by friends, family, professors, or mentors that that either helped guide you towards your dream, and/or been something you've ignored knowing it wasn't true?

jamescw1234, lorend, MacPack, SilentWalker, xo.monica, xxsumz, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 11-01-2010 at 11:07 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
It's amazing how these thoughts can actually be our own a lot of times, not necessarily hearing them from someone else. I love it! Very encouraging . Thanks for posting, Chad! I have officially bookmarked it for future reference =]
Old 11-01-2010 at 11:23 AM   #3
NowHere
Year: Third

Liked: 14 Times
Great stuff!

All action begins with a thought!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 11-01-2010 at 12:53 PM   #4
Afzal
Android Dev
Program: Computer Science
Year: Alumni
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 416 Times
Quote:
Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice, heart and intuition.
HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA

exactly. So don't believe iPad is some brilliant magical device. My inner voice says my Android phone is much Much MUCH better than an iPhone.

But yeah, this is quite true.

Old 11-01-2010 at 01:40 PM   #5
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness
Program: o.o;;
Year: Other

Liked: 333 Times
Hm...great article. After reading this I realize I should really try to make more time in my day to do stuff.
Old 11-03-2010 at 06:51 PM   #6
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory
Program: Biomedical
Year: Third
Residence: Bates '10-'11

Liked: 33 Times
I liked it, very motivating!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search