MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year choices, good idea to change considering time desimac First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-05-2010 01:07 PM
Taking second year courses in third/fourth year b.m. Academics 1 07-27-2010 10:37 PM
Can I take 1st year courses during my 2nd year? Mepper Academics 5 06-29-2010 09:29 PM
How many first-year courses after first year do you take? ShouldBeStudying Academics 10 06-15-2010 09:24 PM
First year taking 2nd year courses Z3phyr First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 01-05-2010 12:51 PM

2nd Year in 3rd Year Courses. Bad idea?

Old 07-03-2010 at 04:26 PM   #1
abbyabs

Liked: 0 Times

2nd Year in 3rd Year Courses. Bad idea?
Bad idea? Good idea? Your thoughts.

I know that the marks are more important in third and fourth years, especially when you're going for your Masters (as my mom tells me).

The funny thing is, the pre-requisite for the 3rd year courses I'm taking is a fourth year course. Why, oh why would the course skip a whole year level? Confusing.

By the way, they are 3rd yr linguistics courses (if anyone has taken any).

Will these courses be too difficult for a mere second year?

If anybody has an insight, it would be excellent.

thanks y'all
Old 07-03-2010 at 04:29 PM   #2
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

3rd and 4th year courses are considered equivalent for graduate school.

There's a bit of a difference between the expectations in a second year course and a 3rd year course as well.

Imo, unless it's incredibly important to take the 3rd year course, I would hold off until 3rd/4th year.

Grad schools won't hold it against you unless you do horribly in that course. But keep in mind that some schools take into consideration your last 2 years completed.
Old 07-03-2010 at 04:31 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

It depends on the course you're taking, and you as a person. I know someone who took 3rd yr english (as her elective) in 2nd year, along with a full science courseload (that was her only non-science course) and she still got a 10 in it (along with getting 10+ in almost all of her other courses...)

If you're good at the subject, and have an interest in it, it should be fine! Don't be scared of doing badly in it--either way, you'll learn something.
Old 07-03-2010 at 05:54 PM   #4
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Im technically still first year, and I'm taking Ling 3M03 and 3B03, and plan on doing 3I03 if/when a space opens up. I don't see why there's any reason to worry about it.
Old 07-03-2010 at 06:08 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

There's a difference between being 'technically still in first year' and actually just starting your first ever year of university. It's an adjustment dealing with first-year courses, and will be even harder to deal with upper level courses where they assume you're used to university already. It's by no means impossible, but it is harder.
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:25 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I took Linguistics 3C03 and 3A03 in second year and it was fine. I'm taking a 4th year linguistics course in third year.
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:37 PM   #7
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyabs View Post
By the way, they are 3rd yr linguistics courses (if anyone has taken any).

Will these courses be too difficult for a mere second year?

If anybody has an insight, it would be excellent.

thanks y'all
Are you taking third-year syntax, semantics, or psycholinguistics? I'm in second year, but I'm taking all three -- however, I'm hoping to drop psycholinguistics and take moral issues.

I would've just taken phonetics and phonology, but phonology conflicts with a mandatory course of mine. So does a biochem course I wanted. Thanks, Mac.
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:39 PM   #8
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
Are you taking third-year syntax, semantics, or psycholinguistics? I'm in second year, but I'm taking all three -- however, I'm hoping to drop psycholinguistics and take moral issues.

I would've just taken phonetics and phonology, but phonology conflicts with a mandatory course of mine. So does a biochem course I wanted. Thanks, Mac.
I know, so frustrating right? I'm trying to drop psycholinguistics too haha, and take an anthro course instead. (I'll see you in syntax & semantics )
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:44 PM   #9
_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
I know, so frustrating right? I'm trying to drop psycholinguistics too haha, and take an anthro course instead. (I'll see you in syntax & semantics )
Sweet! It's not so much that I would dislike taking psycholinguistics, but I'd rather just do that next year. The only plus is that it counts as one of my mandatory credits for psych, haha!
Old 07-03-2010 at 07:56 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Sweet! It's not so much that I would dislike taking psycholinguistics, but I'd rather just do that next year. The only plus is that it counts as one of my mandatory credits for psych, haha!
Awesome! Yeah, I'll probably take it next year too. Are you going to take phonetics and phonology eventually? You're doing a minor right? I have to take all these psych courses for my program too. :]
Old 07-03-2010 at 08:46 PM   #11
Gasbomb13

Duplicate Course
Is it possible to take the same course over again in the next year, what I mean by the is it possbile for example, to take a chem course already taken first year in 2nd year? I was hoping that I could get a second crack at increasing my grade in a particular course.

thanks for the help.
Old 07-03-2010 at 08:48 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

yes, it's possible i have a friend that did that. if you have above a certain grade in the lab component, then you can get exempt from the labs, too!
Old 07-04-2010 at 10:17 PM   #13
_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Awesome! Yeah, I'll probably take it next year too. Are you going to take phonetics and phonology eventually? You're doing a minor right? I have to take all these psych courses for my program too. :]
Yup, I definitely plan on taking them both in third-year, provided that I don't have conflicts again, haha. The only thing I'm worried about is that while I really like syntax, I found the semantics unit in 1AA3 to be so boring, so I hope this course isn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
yes, it's possible i have a friend that did that. if you have above a certain grade in the lab component, then you can get exempt from the labs, too!
The downside of this is I'm pretty sure the weighting of your labs is put on your exam or midterms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I've heard this before.
Old 07-05-2010 at 09:08 AM   #14
abbyabs

Oh no! I enrolled in psycholinuistics, it seems really interesting. But we'll see, haha.

Thanks everybody for the feedback, I feel way better now
Old 07-05-2010 at 09:38 AM   #15
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
The downside of this is I'm pretty sure the weighting of your labs is put on your exam or midterms. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I've heard this before.
I thought that they just took your lab mark from whenever you took the course previously...I could be wrong, though.