MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timetable & Course Advice Needed Sonnet Academics 2 08-22-2010 11:29 PM
Accounting Tutor Needed - 2ab3 azima Academics 3 07-18-2010 09:42 AM
ADVICE NEEDED ..help neen23 Academics 7 11-25-2009 12:18 AM
Advice Needed: Switching faculties J-Met Academics 13 11-24-2009 03:32 PM
A piece of advice needed!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-07-2008 10:44 PM

Accounting Serious Advice Needed!!!

Old 08-28-2012 at 09:42 PM   #1
DakuMaster

Liked: 0 Times

Accounting Serious Advice Needed!!!
Hi, I am faced with a serious dilemma right now. I am currently in Honours Econ at Mcmaster Uni, and after looking at career options, I have settled at becoming a CA. Now, I already applied for a commerce internal transfer and unfortunately got rejected. From what I understand, you cannot apply to an internal transfer a second time. I don't know what to do now? I tried taking commerce accounting courses and all of them are full!! What are my options? I seriously want to somehow become a CA! I am currently looking to transfer to a business program at UofT and York! But what else can I do? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank You
Old 08-28-2012 at 10:24 PM   #2
BigDaku

Liked: 0 Times

Hey man! Nice name btw hahaa. btw you're screwed! Goodluck man haha
Old 08-28-2012 at 10:29 PM   #3
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

stay at mac and get your Econ BA degree, and then do a MBA degree and get your CA designation through it. it's a longer process but it'll be worth it. also, a MBA trumps a BComm. good luck!
Old 08-28-2012 at 10:58 PM   #4
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

the reason why you can't take as many accounting courses (besides 2aa3 and 2ab3) is they are designed only for commerce (especially honours students), and eng mgmt students. YOU MIGHT WANNA TAKE A MINOR IN ACCOUNTING http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...13/pg1194.html. In that case, you drop by the DSB student services office, talk about the options you are pursuing and get a waiver for this minor. In that way, you are still in track to become future accountant. Good luck!!
Old 08-28-2012 at 11:43 PM   #5
apples12

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiser=) View Post
the reason why you can't take as many accounting courses (besides 2aa3 and 2ab3) is they are designed only for commerce (especially honours students), and eng mgmt students. YOU MIGHT WANNA TAKE A MINOR IN ACCOUNTING http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...13/pg1194.html. In that case, you drop by the DSB student services office, talk about the options you are pursuing and get a waiver for this minor. In that way, you are still in track to become future accountant. Good luck!!
Keep in mind that applications for a minor are due sometime in April... so it's too late for the upcoming year.
Old 08-29-2012 at 04:04 AM   #6
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Here is the thing, if you didn't make it through an internal transfer, you probably won't get into U of T's program either, unless you apply to first year.

Check this out though: http://www.cica.ca/becoming-a-ca/how...-ca/index.aspx

Obtain a university degree - while most candidates pursue business studies, your university degree can be in any area or discipline. Many highly successful CAs have Bachelor degrees in arts, science, engineering and other disciplines. In addition, some jurisdictions allow degree exemption for mature students.

So it's not the end of the world dude. Just keep working hard. Do a lot of studying on your own if you can.

Marooner likes this.
Old 09-01-2012 at 11:24 PM   #7
melodicdream

Liked: 10 Times

I agree with what icecubz said. Just finish your undergraduate degree and then apply for a masters elsewhere.

If you are looking to work in a Big 4 accounting firm, I suggest applying for UTM's MMPA program (its a masters accounting program). I know for a fact that some if not all the Big 4 accounting firms hold networking/recruiting sessions for this Masters program. A recruiter also recently told me that the program is great but lacks students who are able to clearly communicate in English. This would mean less competition for you during recruiting events. (Assuming that your level of English is fairly high).

Good luck!!