MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice?!~ xo.monica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 12-24-2009 11:56 AM
I need some advice. jordko General Discussion 12 10-29-2009 08:05 PM
Go Bus advice Kareko General Discussion 13 09-19-2009 05:56 PM
Any Advice? pink_cupcake Academics 8 06-28-2009 10:41 PM
some advice please... EngLufLuf General Discussion 16 06-22-2009 10:29 PM

Advice

Old 05-21-2010 at 10:23 PM   #1
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Advice
Never overload during the summer.

Seriously. I'm doing it. It sucks beyond belief. You're at school practically 24/7, you barely have time to do assignments/homework let alone study, and you'll get bad grades. Just FYI don't get cocky like I did and go "Oh I had an 11+ average during the year, and plenty of free time. I'll be fine". It will NOT go well.

macsci likes this.
Old 05-21-2010 at 11:09 PM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Hmm? All depends on the person tbh
Old 05-22-2010 at 12:18 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I agree, but if someone is thinking about overloading in summer they should make sure that they are not slackers/procrastinators and that they will work hard. It's really fast paced compared to fall/winter.
Old 05-22-2010 at 07:38 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post

Agreed. I took two courses on term and it was really difficult. My classes were really reading-intensive, so for one we were reading one mythology book a week (i.e. the Reg Veda) as well as the 200+ pages for my English class.

I would not have been able to take more than that, and even there I felt my grades suffered; especially since I wasn't given adequate time to prepare for my exams.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-22-2010 at 10:44 AM   #5
arathbon
Elite Member

By overloading, I mean 3 courses a term. Right now I have Chem 1A03, Stats 2B03 and Humanities 2C03. The workload is brutal.

I'm at school pretty much all day Monday-Thursday. Tuesday and Thursday because of class most of the day, and Monday and Wednesday coming in earlier than I need to, to use the library to work.

My weekends are spent doing homework/trying to keep the houseclean.

My honest to god advice to those considering overloading in the summer is DON'T. Even if you don't procrastinate much, you'll be stressed beyond belief and your grades will probably suffer.
Old 05-22-2010 at 10:47 AM   #6
X!Bilet

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
By overloading, I mean 3 courses a term. Right now I have Chem 1A03, Stats 2B03 and Humanities 2C03. The workload is brutal.

I'm at school pretty much all day Monday-Thursday. Tuesday and Thursday because of class most of the day, and Monday and Wednesday coming in earlier than I need to, to use the library to work.

My weekends are spent doing homework/trying to keep the houseclean.

My honest to god advice to those considering overloading in the summer is DON'T. Even if you don't procrastinate much, you'll be stressed beyond belief and your grades will probably suffer.
Ill second that.. I have Criminal Law & Justice 3Z03, Math 1A03, and Organic Chemistry 2OA3. Trust.. no time to sleep let alone enjoy my summer.

FA
Old 05-22-2010 at 11:09 AM   #7
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its settled then. I will never take summer school courses.

goodnews.inc likes this.
Old 05-22-2010 at 12:36 PM   #8
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Didn't you check out the assignments and text before enrolling? Overloading is do-able, you just need to pick wisely.
Old 05-22-2010 at 12:40 PM   #9
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Didn't you check out the assignments and text before enrolling? Overloading is do-able, you just need to pick wisely.
Well Humanities 2C03 is far different than the last outline. And Stats 2B03 is a lot more work than anticipated, given that we pretty much have to teach ourselves this semester.
Old 05-22-2010 at 01:24 PM   #10
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Its settled then. I will never take summer school courses.
I don't know if you are joking or not but never base truth on someone else' subjective opinions. Try it out for yourself and then you are fit to make opinion of the situation.
Old 05-22-2010 at 02:10 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Well Humanities 2C03 is far different than the last outline. And Stats 2B03 is a lot more work than anticipated, given that we pretty much have to teach ourselves this semester.
I have done almost no work for Stats 2B03 so far. I attend class and follow along in the book while in class. This means I barely have to read the book on my own time. I probably spend 1 hour a week reading the book not including class time.

As for the assignments, they can be done in 1-2 hours easily and you only have 1 per week. So overall time per week for this course is 3 hours (plus 6 hours of class time).
Old 05-22-2010 at 02:44 PM   #12
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I thought Phys 1B03 would be absolutely brutal (and it still may) but I'm finding that I'm walking to the bus stop, feeling tired with that God awful brick of a text in my backpack and I actually analysed why I was so tired by thinking about the normal force and the force of friction.

I've also begun to think about people as boxes and then particles.
So...I'm definitely getting my money's worth.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

camais likes this.
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:03 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I thought Phys 1B03 would be absolutely brutal (and it still may) but I'm finding that I'm walking to the bus stop, feeling tired with that God awful brick of a text in my backpack and I actually analysed why I was so tired by thinking about the normal force and the force of friction.

I've also begun to think about people as boxes and then particles.
So...I'm definitely getting my money's worth.
Yeah, I heard it was really difficult this year.
Old 05-22-2010 at 03:30 PM   #14
arathbon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I have done almost no work for Stats 2B03 so far. I attend class and follow along in the book while in class. This means I barely have to read the book on my own time. I probably spend 1 hour a week reading the book not including class time.

As for the assignments, they can be done in 1-2 hours easily and you only have 1 per week. So overall time per week for this course is 3 hours (plus 6 hours of class time).
I don't know how you do it. I'm usually trying to pay attention to him in class, understand all the stuff he throws at us that's not in the textbook. The assignments have been taking me quite a bit of time but maybe that's because my computer just doesn't like minitab. I can't seem to get it to work properly especially with my printer.
Old 05-22-2010 at 04:15 PM   #15
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I don't know how you do it. I'm usually trying to pay attention to him in class, understand all the stuff he throws at us that's not in the textbook. The assignments have been taking me quite a bit of time but maybe that's because my computer just doesn't like minitab. I can't seem to get it to work properly especially with my printer.
Have you ever learnt how to speed read? The trick is to get rid of the voice inside your head that is reading along with you. When I'm reading the book, I can also hear what he is saying at the same time. Kind of like multi tasking. Once I'm done reading the parts he's explaining, I look up to see what's on the board and most of the time what he wrote down makes sense or is in the book.

Also I should probably add that now that there is a midterm coming up, I'm doing problems/practice tests so that's more time towards the course.