MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Log into Avenue inside one tab/window Afzal Computers & Tech 42 09-08-2012 11:59 PM
avenue on android liuxw Computers & Tech 7 01-16-2012 12:06 AM
Avenue to Learn down? richardysm Academics 27 09-16-2011 12:53 AM
Avenue to Learn Matt Wright MacInsiders Announcements 24 06-04-2010 01:47 PM
Learn Link syaseen General Discussion 3 07-26-2009 10:03 PM

Android App for Avenue to Learn (LINK INSIDE)

Old 10-11-2012 at 10:54 PM   #1
SC54

Liked: 0 Times

Android App for Avenue to Learn (LINK INSIDE)
Hey everyone, I made an application for Avenue to Learn for Android. Its free and its seriously nothing special, just a link to the web-page rolled up into a little application. Please feel free to improve on it!

To view course content click the screwdriver and hammer beside the name of your course. To select a course pull the drop down box beside the screwdriver and hammer once you have logged into Avenue.

http://www.4shared.com/android/hN9xf...OMPLETE .html

To install it remember you have to change your settings on your phone to allow outside sources to be installed! Then just download this file from your phone and run the .apk file to install!

Give it a try! And remember, its seriously nothing special!
Old 10-12-2012 at 12:05 AM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

With the avenue hackings, and the fact that your app is on 4shared instead of the market place makes me not want to trust this.

Good work though, if you actually made an app
Old 10-12-2012 at 12:07 AM   #3
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

...I don't even know how to open it..
I tried searching for it at the app store, but couldn't find anything...
Old 10-12-2012 at 12:15 AM   #4
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-6Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by RyanC.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 10-12-2012 at 12:18 AM   #5
SC54

Liked: 0 Times

It's literally the link to avenue wrapped in a little application. Its essentially a browser with avenue inside of it. I was going to post it to the Play store but its such a poor excuse for an app I didn't feel it was worth it.

To use the app you have to download the apk file from that 4shared and run it on your android to install the application.

I was hoping this would spark some more technically inclined forum members to make a real avenue application! It will be awhile before I have the technical knowledge to create a full fledged application.
Old 10-12-2012 at 11:38 AM   #6
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

screen shots?
Old 10-12-2012 at 03:56 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

@OP,

I know you are trying to help people out and whatnot which is very good, but for the people who are concerned and know how to create .apk files themselves, would you mind uploading the source code on pastebin as a private paste or something? I personally don't install non-market apps usually, and I view all of the permissions required by any app I am interested in installing.

Thanks,

Humza
Old 10-12-2012 at 04:11 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC54 View Post
I was hoping this would spark some more technically inclined forum members to make a real avenue application! It will be awhile before I have the technical knowledge to create a full fledged application.
I could probably do it (as well as a few others on the site), but it would be quite an undertaking. That and I'm not sure you'd be allowed to legally. Avenue 2 Learn (which is desire 2 learn underneath) is a commercial product and the owners may not take kindly to people messing around with the product's API.

ZSimon likes this.
Old 10-14-2012 at 04:45 PM   #9
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
@OP,

I know you are trying to help people out and whatnot which is very good, but for the people who are concerned and know how to create .apk files themselves, would you mind uploading the source code on pastebin as a private paste or something? I personally don't install non-market apps usually, and I view all of the permissions required by any app I am interested in installing.

Thanks,

Humza
Just google how to create a webview, of course, then you'll need to figure out how to make ssl work with webview. Still fairly easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I could probably do it (as well as a few others on the site), but it would be quite an undertaking. That and I'm not sure you'd be allowed to legally. Avenue 2 Learn (which is desire 2 learn underneath) is a commercial product and the owners may not take kindly to people messing around with the product's API.
Well since the API isn't public, it would be really hard to get all the calls needed.
If you load the page in the background and show a native UI with all the data, I think it would require extensive testing before it's reliable. Seems like a good learning project but not worth the time.

Now if you email D2L about it and they want to help, then it'll be fun.

ZSimon likes this.
Old 10-14-2012 at 04:53 PM   #10
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

honestly at this point most smartphones have the capability to load the full fledged sites at high resolutions with no lag.

now if you could use perl/python/FLEX to pull info off avenue and make a TRULY mobile version of A2L, that would be wicked..

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-14-2012 at 05:15 PM   #11
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Just google how to create a webview, of course, then you'll need to figure out how to make ssl work with webview. Still fairly easy.
I wasn't asking how they made it.

Afzal likes this.
Old 10-14-2012 at 06:30 PM   #12
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Well since the API isn't public, it would be really hard to get all the calls needed.
If you load the page in the background and show a native UI with all the data, I think it would require extensive testing before it's reliable. Seems like a good learning project but not worth the time.

Now if you email D2L about it and they want to help, then it'll be fun.
You could just use the Google Chrome network monitor/debugger thing to get the API calls. It wouldn't really be that difficult, but ya... reliability would be a pretty big issue.

On the other hand, I've noticed Avenue has RSS feeds for course updates. That might be usable for something :p.
Old 10-17-2012 at 09:31 AM   #13
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
You could just use the Google Chrome network monitor/debugger thing to get the API calls. It wouldn't really be that difficult, but ya... reliability would be a pretty big issue.

On the other hand, I've noticed Avenue has RSS feeds for course updates. That might be usable for something :p.
Hmm. might be irrelevant but what about aspx api calls?