MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Anthro 1AA3 RachelG 1st Year Course Reviews 2 12-04-2012 09:21 PM
anthro 1a03 or women st 1aa3 unspoken General Discussion 0 08-11-2012 10:23 PM
Anthro 1AA3/1AB3 MichaelScarn Academics 2 06-05-2012 05:40 PM
anthro 1aa3, labour studies 1a03 or health and age 1aa3 jcbr100 Academics 10 12-26-2010 08:57 PM

Anthro 1AA3

Anthro 1AA3
Sex, Food, and Death
Published by Frankenseuss
12-11-2012
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 95%
Talking Anthro 1AA3

ANTHROPOLOGY 1AA3: SEX, FOOD, AND DEATH

Course Outline

More Course Outlines for Anthro Classes

This was a fantastic class, and not just because we learned about two of my favourite things in the world (sex and food). This was the first year it was offered (essentially we were the "guinea pig" class,) but you wouldn't know it; I found this course well organized and everything went pretty smoothly.

There were three 50-minute lectures a week, and no tutorials.

ASSIGNMENTS

Critical Thinking Assignment 1 (15%)

On PeerScholar, you are assigned one of five possible essay topics based on your last name. You then write a "first" (not a rough- a lot of people made this mistake) draft in a week, submit it, and then three of your peers give you feedback on it. Then you submit a second draft (which you have another week to do), a short reflection (less than 100 words,) and the assignment is over. You are marked on each stage of the process.

The essay is only 500 words, so it isn't very long. You also had to use two articles in your paper: one from your textbook, and one peer-reviewed that you found on your own.

TIP: E-mail (or go see) your TA if you are having trouble. I did, and it really helped me!

Midterm Exam (25%)

The midterm was very fair. It consisted of 50 multiple choice questions. There wasn't anything too hard on it, though; just make sure you pay attention in class (which isn't hard, because Prowse is awesome). The only questions which threw me for a loop were some on case studies which I couldn't remember. Really though, this was a very fair midterm. Absolutely no complaints.

TIP: Make sure you stay for the films, and actually watch them. Question(s) about them show up on the midterm and also the final exam.

Critical Thinking Assignment 2 (25%)

This was much the same as the first critical thinking assignment, except it was 1,000 words long instead of 500, and is worth 10% more of your mark! This time around we wrote about diseases (again, the disease you got was based on your last name). I actually found this a very interesting and (dare I say) kind of fun assignment. You have to find more than just one peer-reviewed article this time around though, (three I believe) as well as a reading from your textbook.

TIP: Remember to interact with the articles- don't use the "helicopter method" (randomly dropping in a reference to it and then never mentioning it again). The articles should be the basis for your paper.

Final Exam (35%)

Much like the midterm, I found the final exam very fair and not too difficult. Just review all the course content and you should be fine. Remember though, the exam is cumulative, so you are tested on everything- not just stuff after the midterm. As usual there were a few questions I couldn't remember/didn't know, but on the whole it was reasonable.

TIP: Take a holistic approach to studying (much like all anthropologists should!) Go over the entire course, and focus on concepts rather than facts (though knowing both doesn't hurt).

PROFESSOR

Dr. Prowse was an absolutely fantastic professor. Funny, engaging, interested in the material, and always willing to answer students' questions in class, she was definitely one of (if not my) favourite from first term. I would take another class with her in a heartbeat.

I didn't interact too much with my TA in this course, Myriam Nafte, (as there aren't any tutorials) but when I did e-mail her she was extremely helpful. She also gave a great lecture on death for Hallowe'en!

OVERALL

I thought this was an excellent class, and highly recommend to it anyone and everyone. AWESOME!

Brendan, smarties13 all say thanks to Frankenseuss for this post.

laura1265 likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Anthro 1AA3!

Old 12-16-2012 at 05:01 PM   #2
Clappic
Faculty: Social Science
Year: First
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 0 Times
I also took this class, was by far my favourite, but the second assignment was really difficult to find articles for :C
Overall I would totally recommend this class though (:
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-21-2012 at 09:26 PM   #3
smarties13
Year: Fourth

Liked: 16 Times
Do you need the textbook?
Old 12-22-2012 at 03:13 PM   #4
Frankenseuss
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: Masters

Liked: 23 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarties13 View Post
Do you need the textbook?
It's necessary for the assignments, though I suppose you could borrow a friend's for that.

Old 01-04-2013 at 07:53 AM   #5
michelleka
Year: First

Liked: 1 Time
The textbook is needed for the midterms and exams, a lot of questions are based on the facts that you can find in the textbook. I would recommend to buy it with a friend and share it. THe course was really easy, just make sure you read the recommended reading each week, its a pain to cram all those facts in at the last minute.
Old 01-15-2013 at 12:20 AM   #6
Senchu
Program: Nursing
Year: Second

I am taking this course right now with Dr. Prowse...
Can anyone tell me if her lectures are absolutely important to attend when it comes to the midterm and exam?
Old 08-28-2013 at 10:20 AM   #7
Philipp31
Elite Member
Program: Health Sciences

Liked: 192 Times
Would you say this class is difficult - or if you put the work in, it should go quite well?
Is the textbook necessary?
Old 08-30-2013 at 05:42 AM   #8
EmilD
Program: Sociology

Liked: 8 Times
I did not have this course with Dr. Prowse, however I can say that the textbook is significant if you want to do well in the course. This course, (from when I took it) is not a course you can just wing. It requires you to do the readings considering a lot of material covered in the exam and midterm are right from it. It's not a difficult course, but if you do your work, everything will go fine.
Old 08-30-2013 at 10:21 PM   #9
Frankenseuss
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: Masters

Liked: 23 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
Would you say this class is difficult - or if you put the work in, it should go quite well?
Is the textbook necessary?
This was not a difficult class for me, really, but I'd say that you do have to put the work in to do well (as with any other class).

The textbook is necessary for some assignments, and comes in handy for the final exam.
Old 07-19-2014 at 02:39 PM   #10
MuFasaChua
Program: Political Science
Year: Third

I'm takin the course this coming fall and according to the timetable, the prof who is goin to teach this course is Prof K. McGarry. Has anyone taken any courses w this prof before? and how was it?
Old 08-30-2014 at 03:44 PM   #11
OskarB

Ive taken the course with McGarry, and overall I did not like her. She does put all her notes on PowerPoint so you have the basic information on Avenue when you need it for the exams/assignments. She adds on to the basic info from the PowerPoint, but as I stated before, it is very mundane. Also, the research we needed for the essays was supposedly in the textbook, yet the classmates I talked to and I could not find any relevant information, or any at that. Lastly, one of the perks of having McGarry is that she cancels regularly, I remember having four or five days off because of her.
Old 06-18-2015 at 06:56 PM   #12
Soccergirl96
Faculty: Social Science

I took this course with McGarry during the Fall 2014 term. I loved this course and enjoyed McGarry. She's clear and good at explaining the course content, and is clearly passionate about what she teaches. I received a 10 in this course and probably could've gotten a higher mark had I put more effort in. This is no bird course (there's a midterm, 2 essays, and exam) but if you're interested in the content (which I found most people were), you'll likely do well in her class. Overall, I'd highly recommend this course.
Old 12-05-2017 at 12:29 AM   #13
crose12
Program: Communication Studies

HARD AF.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search