MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Easy First Year Electives Curly-2 Academics 557 09-21-2013 05:34 PM
Easy third year electives? tylerearl General Discussion 0 08-14-2011 05:08 PM
Easy Second Year Electives TLulu Academics 1 06-30-2010 12:50 PM
Easy First Year Electives? Sweetie321 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2009 06:35 PM
easy 2nd year electives megzx89 Academics 1 12-29-2008 11:02 PM

Any nice & easy 3rd/4th year electives?

Old 05-17-2012 at 11:02 AM   #1
jjae0958

Liked: 1 Time

Any nice & easy 3rd/4th year electives?
A friend of mine in biochem is going to be taking a lot of hard core biochem courses. She's looking for about 2 courses that are relatively light on workload to alleviate the courseload.

appreciate your suggestions!
Old 05-17-2012 at 11:58 AM   #2
Goran

Liked: 43 Times

Try Political Science 3NN6.
Old 05-17-2012 at 03:45 PM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjae0958 View Post
A friend of mine in biochem is going to be taking a lot of hard core biochem courses. She's looking for about 2 courses that are relatively light on workload to alleviate the courseload.

appreciate your suggestions!
Biochem 3D03. Not an elective if your friend is in biochem, but it's the easiest 11-12 ever. It easily counts as a course that is "relatively light on workload".
Old 05-17-2012 at 03:52 PM   #4
Angoose
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Biochem 3D03. Not an elective if your friend is in biochem, but it's the easiest 11-12 ever. It easily counts as a course that is "relatively light on workload".
Hm, would you mind giving a breakdown of the course for me if you don't mind? I don't see a review for it and I'm still looking for some courses to take next year :(. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-17-2012 at 03:59 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Hm, would you mind giving a breakdown of the course for me if you don't mind? I don't see a review for it and I'm still looking for some courses to take next year :(. Thanks a lot!
She changes it up a bit every year...this past year, there was an enzyme presentation worth 10%, where you pick/get assigned an enzyme and do a 5min presentation on it in groups of 4-5 (you can pick your group), and it was marked realllllly easily. You mention all of the required points and you'll get 8/10 at bare minimum. There was a midterm, that wasn't too difficult and you could get mid 80's without studying, just by going to class. There was a critical analysis of a research paper, that most people got above 90% on, a term project that you can do on your own or in groups on whatever you want relating to metabolism, in whatever format you want (she calls it the "your way" project). These were also marked pretty leniently. Anyways, going into the exam I had 96% or something like that, and I didn't really put in THAT much effort. And the exam wasn't too bad either, pretty much on the same level as the midterm. Overall, it sounds like there's a lot to do, but it's marked pretty easily, and the material is kind of interesting too (some parts, anyways). It's a nice change from many of my other courses...in this one, as long as you do the work and put in some amount of effort you'll get a really good mark.

Last edited by nerual : 05-17-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2012 at 04:14 PM   #6
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

i don't know if your friend is interested in geography but Geo 2RC3 and 2RU3 are light in workload but they are content heavy...
Old 05-17-2012 at 04:33 PM   #7
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
She changes it up a bit every year...this past year, there was an enzyme presentation worth 10%, where you pick/get assigned an enzyme and do a 5min presentation on it in groups of 4-5 (you can pick your group), and it was marked realllllly easily. You mention all of the required points and you'll get 8/10 at bare minimum. There was a midterm, that wasn't too difficult and you could get mid 80's without studying, just by going to class. There was a critical analysis of a research paper, that most people got above 90% on, a term project that you can do on your own or in groups on whatever you want relating to metabolism, in whatever format you want (she calls it the "your way" project). These were also marked pretty leniently. Anyways, going into the exam I had 96% or something like that, and I didn't really put in THAT much effort. And the exam wasn't too bad either, pretty much on the same level as the midterm. Overall, it sounds like there's a lot to do, but it's marked pretty easily, and the material is kind of interesting too (some parts, anyways). It's a nice change from many of my other courses...in this one, as long as you do the work and put in some amount of effort you'll get a really good mark.
Oh wow, that sounds like a pretty good elective. Have you taken Clinical Biochem by any chance? It's ....biochem 3h03. I'm debating between that or the course you suggested. Are the midterms for biochem 3d03 all multiple choice? I'm not really looking for a minor in biochemistry or anything, but I just wanted some electives for my course list that weren't too overbearing .
Old 05-17-2012 at 08:50 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Oh wow, that sounds like a pretty good elective. Have you taken Clinical Biochem by any chance? It's ....biochem 3h03. I'm debating between that or the course you suggested. Are the midterms for biochem 3d03 all multiple choice? I'm not really looking for a minor in biochemistry or anything, but I just wanted some electives for my course list that weren't too overbearing .
I haven't taken 3H03 but I would like to. And no, the midterm and exam aren't all MC, although there is a MC portion.
Old 05-17-2012 at 10:01 PM   #9
Angoose
Elite Member

Thanks for the info again . I need to start finding some bio/biochem third/fourth year courses. I was thinking of taking Nucleus/Cytoplasm, but I guess it isn't being offered this year. I saw a similar course called Advanced Cell Biology, though. I'm wondering if those two courses got merged :(.
Old 05-17-2012 at 10:03 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Thanks for the info again . I need to start finding some bio/biochem third/fourth year courses. I was thinking of taking Nucleus/Cytoplasm, but I guess it isn't being offered this year. I saw a similar course called Advanced Cell Biology, though. I'm wondering if those two courses got merged :(.
They did get merged. I don't know what the new course is called, though.
Old 05-17-2012 at 10:20 PM   #11
Angoose
Elite Member

Quote:
They did get merged. I don't know what the new course is called, though.
The one that I saw was MolBio3B03. My friend had cytoplasm at the same time last year, but it might just be a coincidence :(. It's a Thursday night class.
Old 05-17-2012
ZSimon
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-18-2012 at 03:43 AM   #12
mike4

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
The one that I saw was MolBio3B03. My friend had cytoplasm at the same time last year, but it might just be a coincidence :(. It's a Thursday night class.
The two courses merged into Mol Bio 3B03, hence why its a night class like the others. There are a few profs listed to teach (Daniel & Gupta) so I'm assuming the profs of both previous courses just split the material.