MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any tips on memorizing? NahLeoNah Academics 16 02-12-2012 09:54 PM
paper tips ymich Academics 1 10-06-2011 09:10 PM
Solar Tips ? -Ish- First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 08-10-2011 05:09 PM
Holiday Schedule and Exam schedule Reno V First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 10-16-2008 01:56 PM

Any tips on what a good schedule should be?

Old 08-20-2012 at 06:27 PM   #1
maay29

Liked: 3 Times

Hi guys !

Like job wise, etc? Anything at all.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2012 at 11:07 PM   #2
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Its all personal, I like to avoid early morning classes, and I try to minimize gaps especially those hour gaps between classes as they are too short to get anything done.

maay29 says thanks to Philipp31 for this post.

maay29 likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 12:10 PM   #3
bsarah

Liked: 2 Times

I agree with Philipp. One hour breaks are a pain, and they're extremely inefficient because there's not much you can do in that time-frame. Try to have as little gaps as possible so you can have the rest of the day to just study, work or do your own thing. They're especially annoying during midterm week(s). Also, try balancing each day out so one day isn't significantly more hectic than another.

maay29 says thanks to bsarah for this post.

maay29 likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 01:20 PM   #4
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

try not to stretch it out for long-eg, don't have early morning classes and night classes on the same day, you'll just lose interest in one of them and start skipping them (14 hour days are exhausting). Also, don't have night class one day and early class the next morning, you'll feel tired in the morning and start skipping

maay29 says thanks to drpatel for this post.
Old 08-21-2012 at 01:28 PM   #5
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

The best question is to ASK YOURSELF.

You're the one who has to put up with it for four months.

maay29 says thanks to britb for this post.

Rayine likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 01:31 PM   #6
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

A good schedule is one that has all the classes you selected in it without any conflicts.
Everything else is icing on the cake.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-21-2012 at 02:25 PM   #7
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

No lonnnngg breakkkkk
Old 08-21-2012 at 02:43 PM   #8
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Shouldnt all the first years asking this exact same question be able to answer it for themselves. They have the oppurtunity to make any schedule they want (within the restrictions of availability). so how the hell are any of us supposed to be able to tell you what kind of timetable YOU would like? ffs
Old 08-21-2012 at 02:47 PM   #9
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
so how the hell are any of us supposed to be able to tell you what kind of timetable YOU would like? ffs
There is no need for that... discussion is what this forum is all about, if you are annoyed by repetitive threads then just don't post in them... simple.

Lilly_Allen, maay29 all say thanks to Philipp31 for this post.

Marooner, usedbooks like this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 02:53 PM   #10
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp31 View Post
There is no need for that... discussion is what this forum is all about, if you are annoyed by repetitive threads then just don't post in them... simple.
It is true though, how should anyone know what a particular person's ideal schedule is, aside from that person. Its a valid point, regardless if you like it or not
Old 08-21-2012 at 06:04 PM   #11
Mac-10

Liked: 17 Times

A good schedule is one that fits your preference. Early or late starts? Can you utilize break times effectively? If you finish all your classes early, what will you do for the rest of the day? Some people like to have balanced days, some like to get class over with, some like to sleep till 12. Na mean

maay29 says thanks to Mac-10 for this post.

maay29 likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 07:28 PM   #12
_Mike

Liked: 8 Times

- Avoid 1-hr. breaks
- Try to make it compact -- don't start at 8:30 and have night classes (though this often can't be avoided)
- If you have classes where the tests are during class time, try to avoid having all those classes in the same day
- Try to start earlier so that you are more efficient. If you start at 11:30 or 12:30 every day, you may end up going to bed the same time you would as if you started at 8:30, and thus have less hours of the day to do work
- Try to avoid 8:30 starts every day of the week. You'll want a day that you start later so that you don't burn out

maay29 says thanks to _Mike for this post.

maay29 likes this.
Old 08-21-2012 at 07:40 PM   #13
ParrotKeep11

Liked: 2 Times

I actually enjoy 1 hour gaps and hate any longer. Its difficult to sit in 5 classes straight but 1 hour inbetween to walk around, relax and get some food makes it bearable. Anything longer just gets boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
- Avoid 1-hr. breaks
- Try to make it compact -- don't start at 8:30 and have night classes (though this often can't be avoided)
- If you have classes where the tests are during class time, try to avoid having all those classes in the same day
- Try to start earlier so that you are more efficient. If you start at 11:30 or 12:30 every day, you may end up going to bed the same time you would as if you started at 8:30, and thus have less hours of the day to do work
- Try to avoid 8:30 starts every day of the week. You'll want a day that you start later so that you don't burn out
I study the best in the morning and hate early classes. No one distracts you in the morning. I wake up and study before class, go to class from 11-5 and then relax or cram depending on what type of week I have afterwards.

This is just evidence that you need to find what works for you. Some people take all early classes, some all night classes.

maay29 says thanks to ParrotKeep11 for this post.
Old 08-23-2012 at 04:26 PM   #14
maay29

Liked: 3 Times

There are general ideas about how a timetable should be. Obviously I'm not asking about specifics!
Old 08-23-2012 at 04:41 PM   #15
randhirmiz

Liked: 12 Times

I managed to get Wednesdays off in my first term, and in my second term, my earliest class is at 11:30, and I'm pretty happy with my schedule.
The only problem I have is that my first term, on Tuesdays I start at 9:30am and one of my classes is an evening class, so I don't finish till about 10pm - and I'm commuting, so I probably won't get home till about 11:30.. I wish I could fix this, but there's only one class of that course being offered.

But honestly, there's only so much you can do now..
pretty much all the good courses are full, and the ones that still have seats available tend to have the work times for labs/tutorials.
But good luck.

Last edited by randhirmiz : 08-23-2012 at 08:30 PM.

maay29 likes this.