MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
History 1AA3 kokosas 1st Year Course Reviews 13 04-10-2013 03:44 PM
Dropping Classics, History 1A03, History 1AA3 or Poli Sci 1G06? Tallee Academics 2 08-21-2010 12:17 AM
Art History 1AA3 blog savannah123 Academics 4 02-04-2010 12:26 PM
Art History 1AA3 MKelly Academics 0 06-22-2009 02:57 PM
art history 1aa3 shleyaa Academics 3 12-22-2008 01:14 PM

Art History 1AA3

Art History 1AA3
Published by kunaltandan
06-12-2010
Published by
Account Disabled by User

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 90%
Art History 1AA3

If you love learning about art, artists, the culture during that time, and the influence of people on art, then this course is for you. It's pretty straightforward, such that, it follows a literal timeline, starting from Archaic and ending on whatever you're on, in the last few classes.

This class is pure memorization, with the test being mostly about art, artists and key events. If you're into memorization, you're bound to get a double-digit mark.

The prof. I had was Greg Davies. He wasn't the most enthusiastic prof., but he was very enlightening (or I think he was), perceptive and intellectual. His sarcasm is EXTREMELY dry and half the time you're wondering if he's actually joking and whether or not it's appropriate to laugh or not.

To really do well in this class, you HAVE to show up to class and tutorials. The book is helpful, such that, you have a reference with the times and the eras that an art piece belongs to, 'cause half of the time, he doesn't tell you the date or even the title of the piece. Also, most of his testable material comes from his lectures. The tutorials are pretty nice 'cause you can engage with your TA (make friends, which hopefully produces a better essay-mark) by asking questions and having pretty great conversations about art, the meaning behind it, and so on and so forth.

Breakdown:
Midterm: 25%
"Take-home test" (Essay- very easy): 35%
Exam (VERY EASY. Dates, artists, title, etc.): 40%
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Art History 1AA3!

Old 06-27-2010 at 09:15 PM   #2
sayok8737
Program: Commerce
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 7 Times
I have a question! What if i have ZERO prior knowledge in art history, do you think this course will be tooooooooo hard?? :O
  Reply With Quote Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 06-27-2010 at 10:48 PM   #3
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour

Liked: 4 Times
Nope! What you learn is what you're going to be tested on. It's supposed to be a beginner-level course, anyway. For people that don't have prior knowledge of Art History, whatsoever.
Old 06-27-2010 at 11:22 PM   #4
sayok8737

Liked: 7 Times
Thank You

Old 08-12-2010 at 05:55 PM   #5
sinsintome
Program: Biology
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 15 Times
Quick question: are the tutorials mandatory?
Old 08-12-2010 at 06:06 PM   #6
kunaltandan
Account Disabled by User
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour

Liked: 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsintome View Post
Quick question: are the tutorials mandatory?
Not mandatory, but really fun; at least they were to me. You get to debate,
talk about what's coming up on the tests/quizzes. I loved 'em, but it depends on who your TA is.

sayok8737 says thanks to kunaltandan for this post.
Old 08-21-2010 at 02:34 AM   #7
p.lau
Year: Third

Liked: Liked 8 Times
I absolutely loved this class!! It was so interesting and an excellent elective (esp for an easy 10+), but I don't remember there being a take home test when I took it 2 years ago...

sayok8737 says thanks to p.lau for this post.
Old 06-21-2011 at 10:40 PM   #8
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Geography & Earth Sciences
Year: Alumni

Liked: 101 Times
This class was quite awesome, although I didn't do so well in this class...
Old 07-18-2011 at 03:15 PM   #9
PhysicalSci1
Year: First

Liked: 0 Times
what about art history 1A03? what is the difference
Old 07-18-2011 at 04:42 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Biology and Pharmacology
Year: Fifth
Residence: Keyes

Liked: 624 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalSci1 View Post
what about art history 1A03? what is the difference
They cover different topics:
ART HIST 1A03
INTRODUCTION TO THE STUDY OF ART
In this course, you will be introduced to the principles, elements and issues engaging art work globally and in all media. Students consider the principles and elements of sculpture, drawing, painting, book arts, printmaking, photography and architecture. Broad questions are addressed, such as: why does art exist?; why do people make art; and what is the purpose of art in different cultural contexts? You'll also examine the methods and materials of artists both historically and today, and become familiar with key art terms such as perspective, chiaroscuro and iconography. Themes and topics considered in this course include: fakes and forgeries, censorship, the conservation and restoration of art, attitudes towards copies, authenticity and ownership of art objects, and representations of gender, race and religion in the history of art and architecture. Small tutorials include special exhibitions at the McMaster Museum of Art and the Rare Books Department at Mills Library.

ART HIST 1AA3
INTRODUCTION TO THE HISTORY OF ART
This course introduces the history of art in the Western tradition and offers a chronological introduction to a range of international works from Prehistory to Contemporary times. Students examine art and architecture as significant aesthetic and cultural documents. Different periods will be covered such as the Medieval, Romanesque, Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo and Neoclassicism, Romanticism and Realism, Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, and 20th century art. You will learn about historical and critical ideas relating to painting, sculpture and architecture, and master a body of specific factual information concerning artists and works of art.
Old 09-10-2011 at 08:02 PM   #11
simhy

what do you mean that essays are very easy? is it becaue you are a good writer? or essay itself is easy? if essay itself is easy, then what makes it easy? i suck at essays, so im afraid that it will lower my gpa. does it also have lots of memorization? sounds like lots of reading involved..
Old 09-13-2011 at 08:07 PM   #12
croleycm
Year: Second

Loved this course, chose art history as my major after it!
Old 09-13-2011 at 08:13 PM   #13
croleycm

Amazing course! Cant go wrong with art history
Old 09-13-2011 at 08:24 PM   #14
croleycm

Also, its not hard to get a good mark, make sure you go to tutorials and take adequate notes!!
Old 09-14-2011 at 05:08 PM   #15
simhy

but isnt it 35% essay? i suck at writing it... and apprently, final exam is an essay too.... what do you mean that essay is easy? is it strictly marking like socio essay? or just they just give you mark as long as u write it kinda thing?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search