MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indigenous Knowledge Lecture Series 2008 kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 2 11-11-2008 06:27 PM

Assumed Knowledge

Old 09-14-2008 at 11:36 AM   #1
sycoman

Liked: 9 Times

Assumed Knowledge
Hey guys, in chemistry 1AO3, chapters 1-4 + 6 are assumed knowlegde. Should i worry too much about the assumed knowledge material? I forgot most of the stuff from grade 12 chemistry, should i read chapters 1-4 +6 again and do those questions at the end of the chapter or will reading a quick summary do?

Im getting worried about this assumed knowlege stuff becuase i dont want to spend too much time reviewing it as it takes time away from doing home work from current chapters plus pre reading text before going to class.

Are there a good amount of questions on the test or exams relating to the assumed knowledge material?

any help would be greatly appreciated..

thanks

Old 09-14-2008 at 11:40 AM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Well if you've forgotten what was taught in grade 12 (which is assumed knowledge) there's your answer.

While they may not test you on 1-4& 6 you will be expected to apply what is covered in there to solve problems.

Give them a read or a quick scan just so you see what's covered.
Old 09-14-2008 at 01:16 PM   #3
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

chapter 1-4 +6 is actually mainly gr 11 review. Things such as gr 12 material ( equilbrium, organic chem etc...) is not in those chapters. though rather taking what I'm saying you should still read over the chapters, it only takes 30 minutes.

Some stuff in ch 1-4 +6:
-Stiochemtry
-Gases and the gas laws
-naming
-limitng regeant <- noticed a big focus on this on the tutorial and the practices quizes
-and a few other things
Old 09-16-2008 at 07:07 PM   #4
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

ya I've forgotten most of the stuff too...Chem is going to be a struggle this year lol. What I've done so far is read a chapter at a time and once I complete one chapter I do the practise quizzes on WebCT that pertain to the chapter I read. I havent done any problems in the text yet but I think I should...so much to do so little time.
Old 09-16-2008 at 07:14 PM   #5
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

hey everyone,

yes chem can be a little overwhelming. I definately suggest spending an hour just skimming through the assumed knowledge section. you don' thave to read every work in the chapter. Go through and look at the topics that you don't rmb. For the ones you know already, then skip it. This knowledge will come back here and there in little bits so it is best if you are familar and comfortable with it!

Aside from reading the textbook for chemistry, it is crutial to do the practice problems. Even if it is either tutorials, questions in the textbook or practice test. Reading it constantly won't help you in the long run. all about practice practice!! Definately if you have questions, ask your TA or go see the Prof, they are all really nice (that's why they teach 1st year!). Hope that helped!

kenvin100 says thanks to Eva C for this post.