MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
life sci 2ee3 and biochem 2ee3 jangh2 Academics 16 06-25-2009 12:19 PM
Orgo 20B3 and 2OA3, and biochem 2EE3, and bio 2EE3 rits Academics 1 08-24-2008 03:44 PM
Bio 2EE3 ... help pls! Eaman Academics 2 09-04-2007 12:15 AM

Bio 2EE3

Old 06-30-2009 at 09:23 PM   #31
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Bio 2EE3
This course wasn't as bad as some make it out to be. There were two lectures every week and a lab every other week so course work was minimal. Lectures were generally okay, the prof would just talk and show slide pictures and as long as you took down stuff that seemed important you'd be fine. The...

all say thanks to Fight0 for this post.

like this.
Old 07-15-2013 at 04:19 PM   #30
derp

Liked: 0 Times
Is this course offered in the summer by any chance? I know it's not offered this summer (2013) but perhaps it's run every other year in the summer?
Old 07-20-2013 at 03:38 PM   #31
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derp View Post
Is this course offered in the summer by any chance? I know it's not offered this summer (2013) but perhaps it's run every other year in the summer?
Hasn't run since in any of 2010-2011-2012, so I doubt it to be honest. Usually it's just 2b03 and 2c03 and sometimes 2F03 offered during the summer, never 2a03, 2EE3 or 2D03 (for the last few years anyway)
Old 08-31-2013 at 12:16 PM   #32
mcmastergcdb
Elite Member

Liked: 89 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoose View Post
Has anyone ever had Finan as a prof for this course (or any other courses)? I thought Xu was the only one who taught microbio, but the master timetable says otherwise :O.
Yea this year it is being taught by Finan. I also want to know how he is as a prof and if his testing method is good?
Old 09-11-2013 at 09:33 PM   #33
lcent

A helpful hand is needed...
Hello,

Would anyone be willing to email me or print me the lecture slides for this class. I am unable to and I would be willing to pay the individual that helps me with this barrier I face. Thank you in advance to the kind individual that responds to my call.

Laura Centurami
Old 11-30-2013 at 11:47 PM   #34
sara.e

Notes
Does anyone have textbook notes (from this year) for this course that they are willing to sell? looking to buy!
Old 01-01-2015 at 02:02 PM   #35
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times
Having this course with orgo = death. The midterms were one day apart.

This course is basically about microbes and all their applications. Their is A LOT of content in this course (but not as much as there used to be). The final exam consisted of 15 chapters. The first midterm consisted of 8 chapters and was worth 30% (60 MC and 30 SA).

The midterm was 2 hours and very similar to practice quiz questions and many people did well, the average was about 76%. In the first month of the course, you learn about what microbiology is, what microbes are, and each chapter focuses on a different class of microbes such as bacteria, archaea, eukarya, and viruses. You learn the itty bitty details of each such as what their cell walls are made of, cell shapes, cell membrane composition, flagella composition, and a variety of different microbes. After this general introduction, you learn about factors that affect microbe growth and DNA replication in eukaryotes and prokaryotes, and transcriptional regulation such as the lac operon. The first part of the course was not too difficult, just a lot of content. Textbook readings were helpful for this section of the course in my opinion, but if you are pressed for time, your lecture notes are sufficient. I recommend trying to keep up with the textbook readings (for at least the midterm) because it will help you do really well on the midterm.

The second part of the course got more difficult because there is so many details you need to know. The major topics in the second part of the course are metabolism (cellular respiration, photosynthesis, Kreb's, anaerobic respiration, etc) , nutrient cycling (sulfur, oxygen, phosphorus), and microbial diseases and pathogenesis (where you learn about cytotoxins, endotoxins, exotoxins, and a variety of microbial diseases and how they are caused). This part of the course was very interesting. There are also smaller chapters focusing on food & water, how microbes are used in producing a variety of food products such as cheese, bread, alcohol, and water treatment. There is also chapters focusing on biotechnology, and symbiotic relationships between microorganisms. For the second part of the course, I read the textbook chapters but only made notes for chapters that I felt were important (biotechnology, microbial diseases, metabolism, and nutrient cycling). Doing quiz questions for the course is very helpful because similar questions show up on the midterm and exam.

The exam was 3 hours and 70 MC and 25 SA. A lot of people finished the exam early, but the exam was very random. A lot of his MC questions had options like more than one of the above, which made the exam more difficult than the midterm. The MC was kind of random and difficult, but the SA was more fair and a lot of it was just labeling diagrams (there was not a lot of writing in SA as opposed to the midterm). But the exam was fair, if you go over your lecture notes, you should be able to get at least 70% on the final exam.

I would say the course is interesting, but the exam was overwhelming because there is a lot of content. It was also the first exam in the exam period. Dr. Finan is a very fair professor and he seems to know his stuff very well and he's a very nice guy as well. He goes at a regular pace so that you can keep up with the material. Going to class does help if you really listen to what he is saying, he does give random tips for the midterm and final exam - sometimes he will tell you to know something for the midterm and exam, so know it.
Old 01-04-2015 at 03:05 PM   #36
Ramona

Don't take this course if you want to enjoy yourself. Or at least that's my opinion. Finan's a nice guy, but the lectures!!! You can tell Finan wants the class to be interesting, and he tries to improve his teaching style by asking for feedback etc.
This course is extremely dry. The exam does not test you on just concepts but also specific facts. Do the practice quizzes!!!!!! They helped bunches during the test/exam.
The labs were all good fun. Nothing too difficult or stressful. We had a beer making lab,which was my favourite. We also had one formal lab which although took a lot of time, is not worth worrying about if you are thinking about entering this course. This is a course I will look back on and be glad I am never going back. If you are interested in the content however, I'm sure you can do very well. The previous review is very accurate.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search