Bio 3SS3 skk1 Academics 0 11-08-2015 04:10 PM
Bio 3SS3 SciGuy Academics 0 01-25-2015 02:01 PM
Bio 3SS3 Format melchizedek Academics 0 01-11-2010 03:37 PM

Bio 3SS3

Old 01-08-2016 at 08:06 AM   #1
skk1

Liked: 3 Times

Bio 3SS3
Anyone who has taken the course last year, can u please comment on how hard it is? I have been to a few classes but I feel kind of lost? I have read the course review but I just want a recent update.
Also, how hard are the assignments? And I also I am not very good at math.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-08-2016 at 07:07 PM   #2
Pegasus

Liked: 5 Times

Hey, I took the course last year. Don't worry too much about feeling lost during the first couple weeks of classes - I remember feeling the same way at the beginning and even throughout the term sometimes. I would recommend reviewing the lecture notes on a consistent basis and asking questions if you find that you do not understand any of the material, either by going to the prof or the TAs. Attending the tutorials and asking the TAs questions really helped. Prior to each midterm, the TAs held review sessions to clarify lecture material and to direct you to what you need to focus on for the tests, which was also extremely helpful. Moreover, the prof posts practice tests before each test so even if you have a hard time understanding the notes/lectures, as you can see, there is more than enough help and practice available to you to do well in the course (and not feel quite as lost).

I found the course to be very fair and not hard at all to do well in, especially if you are willing to put in the time and effort required to understand the material and to do the assignments/practice tests. The math concepts were relatively simple (you don't have to be strong at math - just be familiar with things like ln, log, graphs, rearranging equations etc.) and the course didn't require very much memorization which I really liked. Personally, I found the first test to be really easy, second test slightly harder (esp. the MC section) but still very fair and the exam also very fair. The assignments aren't hard, they are actually very straightforward and before each assignment is due, the TAs will go over similar if not nearly identical questions to the ones on the actual assignment - so it's not difficult to do well on them. Overall, although the material was not the most interesting to me, I really enjoyed the course mostly because the notes were well organized, the evaluations were fair and there were TAs/tutorials to help you out.

Sorry for the long post, I hope some of it was helpful. Let me know if you have any other/more specific questions

skk1 says thanks to Pegasus for this post.
Old 01-09-2016 at 11:10 AM   #3
skk1

Liked: 3 Times

Thank you. This was really helpful. I'm not good at math so will that be a disadvantage? Also, I think to do the assignments we have to use the R program and excel correct? I have never used the R program before and not good at excel. Also, I have a busy semester.....do u think this course will be manageable because there are assignments to do and I'm assuming there will be one due every week or so?
Also, if you don't mind me asking, who was your prof?
Old 01-09-2016 at 05:59 PM   #4
Pegasus

Liked: 5 Times

No, you won't be at a disadvantage if you're not the best at math - in tutorial, the TAs will go most of the math concepts you need to know and its pretty simple stuff, nothing overly complicated so I personally wouldn't worry too much. From what I remember, there are only a few equations you need to know for each unit and the equations are given to you on the tests so there's also really no need to memorize. You just need to know how and when to use each equation and how to rearrange/manipulate the equation to solve for the desired variable - just be sure to practice and be familiar with each equation and I'm sure you will be fine. Remember, there will be plenty of resources (assignments, practice tests etc.) and help (TAs) provided to you - make good use of them, especially if you are not the strongest in math.

As for the assignments, I wouldn't worry if you haven't used R before or are not good at excel. I have never used R before this course either and did fine on the assignments (90%+). You are given instructions and the code required for R, all you just need to do is change around the numbers and plug it into R - it's really straightforward and as I said, the TAs will go over each assignment before they're due so you always have an opportunity to ask questions and get help (and to do well). There were only 3 assignments (iirc only the last two used R and excel i think) plus 1 bonus makeup assignment, so no there wasn't one assignment due every week, it's more like one due every 2 to 3 weeks or so. I had a pretty busy semester too (a few times were I had many midterms all clustered in the same week) but still found the course to be very manageable. Also, I had Dr. Dushoff.