MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
life sci 2ee3 and biochem 2ee3 jangh2 Academics 16 06-25-2009 12:19 PM
Orgo 20B3 and 2OA3, and biochem 2EE3, and bio 2EE3 rits Academics 1 08-24-2008 03:44 PM

Biochem 2EE3

Old 06-30-2009 at 10:14 AM   #31
Sohail

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Biochem 2EE3
This course was taught by Dr. Boris Zhorov this past year. I think he's been teaching it for years now. This means that a lot of his test questions are actually recycled from previous years. So, if you can get your hands on previous years' tests, you should be in good shape.

In terms...

Last edited by Sohail : 06-30-2009 at 10:16 AM.

all say thanks to Sohail for this post.

like this.
Old 02-02-2010 at 11:32 PM   #30
sambhuvan

Liked: 0 Times
does anyone have copies of the old biochem 2ee3 tests?
Old 02-13-2010 at 12:41 AM   #31
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times
The tiger has made its appearance :p
Old 04-14-2010 at 08:03 PM   #32
salimak

Liked: 21 Times
Worst class I have ever taken at McMaster. If you love the details of the glycolysis, krebs, lipid metabolism, etc and memorizing a whole tone of useless random facts then this is the class for you!

Not a bird course unless you have alot of time and photographic memory for tiny details
Old 04-15-2010 at 08:36 AM   #33
sambhuvan

The material in the class is interesting; however, the way this prof (Zhorov) tests us I find is sort of stupid. He would ask detailed questions like for example on our exam he asked us about the length of the strongest noncovalent bond or number of bases in the genome on our tests. I felt that he should have tested us on questions more related to main concepts. If you want to do good in this class, you have to memorize all his slides and that takes alot of time. From saying that, I believe biochem 2ee3 is not a bird course unless you're a good memorizer or take the time to do that then you'll succeed in this course.
Old 04-15-2010 at 10:05 AM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
If you could get your hands on previous exams/tests, a lot of questions repeat or the wording/choice of answers are slightly changed.

Also, human genome, 3billion bp... I think that if you are in science you would already have that drilled into your head... it comes up in like every course.
Old 04-25-2010 at 01:26 AM   #35
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Biochemistry 2EE3, Fall/Winter 2010 with Dr. Zhorov

Course Outline Attached.

Lectures:
Dr. Zhorov has pretty good analogies to remember some information however he is pretty monotone and causes me to fall asleep. The lectures weren't very interesting and there is a lot of random and specific information. The lectures also have figures posted instead of pictures which is really annoying. However health science students get pictures in their lectures.

Tests/Exam
If you are able to get your hands on past tests, a lot of questions repeat. The questions are pretty specific so without past tests you would have to really memorize EVERYTHING.

Book:
Completely useless if you know a health science student, otherwise you may want one to look at figures but you can probably find a copy in the library.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Course Outline.doc (56.5 KB, 137 views)

0t10, jc24 all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 07-25-2010 at 01:08 AM   #36
milkproject

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Biochemistry 2EE3, Fall/Winter 2010 with Dr. Zhorov

Course Outline Attached.

Lectures:
Dr. Zhorov has pretty good analogies to remember some information however he is pretty monotone and causes me to fall asleep. The lectures weren't very interesting and there is a lot of random and specific information. The lectures also have figures posted instead of pictures which is really annoying. However health science students get pictures in their lectures.

Tests/Exam
If you are able to get your hands on past tests, a lot of questions repeat. The questions are pretty specific so without past tests you would have to really memorize EVERYTHING.

Book:
Completely useless if you know a health science student, otherwise you may want one to look at figures but you can probably find a copy in the library.

What do you mean by you get figures and not pictures?
like reference to text figures?

I have health sci friends and how will that help me in the course? are their books better for this course?
Old 07-25-2010 at 03:00 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkproject View Post
What do you mean by you get figures and not pictures?
like reference to text figures?

I have health sci friends and how will that help me in the course? are their books better for this course?
Yes, just references to figures in the text. Some pictures aren't found in the text but are still copyrighted so you won't ever be able to find them.

Everyone uses the same book. The pictures don't really help at all. It's more of just memorizing the text.
Old 08-11-2010 at 09:53 PM   #38
bhairats

Is anyone willing to give/sell old tests?
Old 08-22-2010 at 04:52 PM   #39
rupal1

do I have to go to biochem 2EE3 class as it is conflicting with one of my required psychology class? I heard it is lots of memorization. Do I need to read text for this course or just lecture notes will be fine? Dr.Horov is teaching it. how are the tests and exam like?
Old 08-22-2010 at 09:57 PM   #40
qwerty!

Liked: 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupal1 View Post
do I have to go to biochem 2EE3 class as it is conflicting with one of my required psychology class? I heard it is lots of memorization. Do I need to read text for this course or just lecture notes will be fine? Dr.Horov is teaching it. how are the tests and exam like?
You don't HAVE to go to this class but it's nice if you do because the prof tends to tell you what you need to know and what you don't. The text isn't really necessary but if you don't understand something I suggest you refer to the figure in the textbook. Tests and exams are pure memorization. If you can do that for even the slightest detail, you are guaranteed a 12 - except sometimes his tests are awkwardly worded to confuse you, that's when you go 'WHAAAA?'
Old 08-22-2010 at 10:48 PM   #41
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupal1 View Post
Midterms take place during class time so you can't skip those classes.
Old 08-23-2010 at 10:29 AM   #42
gOOCHTOPHER

Liked: 11 Times
protips
dont buy the textbook, he gives notes without pictures, but you can get notes with pictures if u ask around
on each mid term he made 1 question from the text and not from notes, so he made some incentive to buy and and read it, the exam had probably a couple questions of textbook questions
this is one of those classes where you dont need to go to class cause everything is in his notes, but he will emphasize the things he tests making it worthwhile to go imo and less time consuming
Old 08-23-2010 at 05:08 PM   #43
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gOOCHTOPHER View Post
protips
dont buy the textbook, he gives notes without pictures, but you can get notes with pictures if u ask around
on each mid term he made 1 question from the text and not from notes, so he made some incentive to buy and and read it, the exam had probably a couple questions of textbook questions
this is one of those classes where you dont need to go to class cause everything is in his notes, but he will emphasize the things he tests making it worthwhile to go imo and less time consuming
Ask someone in Health Sci. The notes with pictures are in the hth sci-only section of Learnlink. Any hth sci can access them, even if they're not registered in biochem 2EE3.
Old 08-24-2010 at 11:40 AM   #44
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times
another protip

don't try to pass collection tins or envelopes around in his lecture
he'll send the tiger after you

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search