MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Coop Imtiaz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-04-2010 10:47 PM
Biopharm 2010-2011 rakhrans Academics 62 06-17-2010 11:58 PM
coop interviews precious Academics 19 04-09-2010 01:27 AM
Coop Job? ahmed.work Volunteering Opportunities 1 01-04-2010 11:10 PM
biopharm admission cut-off? shreya s. Academics 4 10-07-2009 07:04 PM

BioPharm coop

Old 05-26-2008 at 03:51 PM   #1
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

BioPharm coop
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has been in the biopharm program or have heard anything about it? Its all problem based learning, case studies, presentations, etc. But i was wanted to see if anyone has any opinions on what the classes really are like and if they are alot of hard work and hard to get good grades. I am trying to decide if i should stay in biochem or go in to biopharm. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 05-26-2008 at 06:22 PM   #2
Sarah13

Liked: 11 Times

From what I've heard, BioPharm students are some of the hardest workers out there. This might be because since your classes are so small, everyone will know if you're not pulling your weight (the incentive is positive peer pressure). Because of this, I've heard that regardless of your marks going in, everyone comes out with a pretty high CA, cause you work so hard.
Old 05-28-2008 at 06:27 PM   #3
joset2

Liked: 0 Times

Yesssss I am a biopharamer.....hardw ork is my last name....passion is my middle name.....I never sleep....I never eat.......just kidding....

We are a small group of students who are really interested in self learning cutting edge science and commited for an extra year of co op as a part of our program...group work is a big aspect of our life....the prof teach us in a small group...the faculty knows us....We are not selected on base of our GPA....its all about what we did with our first 2 years in univeristy......I think education is not just about marks....it can be work....volunteering. ...group projects.....freinds. ...trips....everythin g......WE get a double honors in biology and pharmacology and if u tailor ur courses well u can even minor in a subject.....there is intense lab works..... a mandatory senior thesis.....an almost perfect lab notebook...........ov erall...this was what i wanted all my life.......

Last edited by joset2 : 05-28-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-28-2008 at 07:16 PM   #4
Eva C
Elite Member

haha joset2. you are so passionate about it. makes me wanta write my acceptance email now. haha. i was wondering if you've ever talked to upper years, etc. about the pbl and the style of it... its so different from our usual class work of tests, exams, etc. that i'm worried i might not be able to adapt to it as quickly, cause i'd like the experience but still want to get good grades.. the marking schemes.. are so... different .. :S any insights?
Old 05-28-2008 at 07:25 PM   #5
joset2

To be honest....My GPA reflect how I like to study...I do exceptionally well in courses where there is self learning and team work and small class size...I have few upper year buddies and they kind of metored me throughout first 2 years...for me this is not just a bachelor program. I am really sure that I will continue this for my grad school and take it as my career. If medschool is an option for you then a year of co op does play a role in life....Its all about teamwork, mediation and self motivation!~!!!I felt like I was in a beehive in huge second year classes in MDCL 1107~~~~~

On the other note...our final day of replying to the offer was last week...so were u on wait list like my other buddies????? just curious....nyways if u join then ill be here...waiting to be ur freind
Old 05-28-2008 at 07:59 PM   #6
Eva C
Elite Member

yeah. i'm trying to access in what situations i do better in. i enjoy group projects get to meet new people and work closely together. just thought what your input is. since you love it so much. its good to be so motivated. great attitude.

our final day of reply is may 30th... at least it says so in my email. don't scare me. lol
Old 05-28-2008 at 08:04 PM   #7
joset2

ohh lol...i replied it right away ...... and yeh..maybe its cause i was soo damn excited!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2008 at 08:11 PM   #8
Eva C
Elite Member

i'm sure you are gonna do really well. since you are so motivited. cause its so much self-directed learning.
do you know alot of people that are in it?
Old 05-28-2008 at 08:14 PM   #9
joset2

I know 5 ...ths all....and those 5 taught me well!!!!!