MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different between Eng and Management VS Eng and Minor in Business? Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 11-11-2012 06:37 PM
Minor in Business rpg51 Academics 9 06-03-2012 10:37 PM
Business or Econ Minor? chi0 Academics 6 02-23-2012 12:54 PM
Minor in business mfattal General Discussion 8 01-18-2012 12:27 AM
Engineering + Business Minor ritsma First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2010 01:45 PM

Business Minor

Old 12-15-2012 at 08:31 AM   #1
Frankenseuss

Liked: 23 Times

Business Minor
I'm interested in doing a business minor, however what exactly does it mean by only forty people can claim it?

Can someone explain to me the process for declaring a minor/how doing so with a business minor works?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2012 at 10:44 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
I'm interested in doing a business minor, however what exactly does it mean by only forty people can claim it?

Can someone explain to me the process for declaring a minor/how doing so with a business minor works?

Thanks!
You declare it when you fill out your graduation information. So basically the first 40 people to fill out their forms online and claim the minor will get it.
Old 12-15-2012 at 12:30 PM   #3
Frankenseuss

Oh, okay. So actual course capacity for non-commerce kids isn't limited to 40 then?
Old 12-15-2012 at 12:34 PM   #4
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
Oh, okay. So actual course capacity for non-commerce kids isn't limited to 40 then?
Of course not. It's just that only 40/year can declare a Business minor..
Old 12-15-2012 at 03:15 PM   #5
Frankenseuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
Well I didn't know that. Thanks for the help, though.
Old 12-15-2012 at 03:26 PM   #6
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by herBs View Post
I'm not actually sure that's true... I think space is capped for non-commerce/eng management students and that's what's meant by limited space, anybody who's ever tried to fight the rest of the world for these courses on SOLAR knows it can be tough getting in. I don't think Mac is in the practice of denying minors to people who've earned them.
Old 12-15-2012 at 03:31 PM   #7
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
I'm not actually sure that's true... I think space is capped for non-commerce/eng management students and that's what's meant by limited space, anybody who's ever tried to fight the rest of the world for these courses on SOLAR knows it can be tough getting in. I don't think Mac is in the practice of denying minors to people who've earned them.
There's only one way to find out really, which would be by e-mailing the appropriate person(s). I'm not going to do that to find out what exactly is the truth or not. Feel free though, and let everyone know if you want to.
Old 12-15-2012 at 08:39 PM   #8
kschwab

Liked: 7 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1192.html

It is difficult to get into some of the classes, just a heads up. They fill up fast
Old 12-15-2012 at 08:48 PM   #9
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschwab View Post
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1192.html

It is difficult to get into some of the classes, just a heads up. They fill up fast
Jeez. It is limited to 40 people planning to pursue a Minor in Business. Damn, that must be at least semi-difficult to get all the courses you want on time then.
Old 12-15-2012 at 11:13 PM   #10
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

why 40? what is the point of this limit? Its REALLY unfair.

So basically, you spend all that effort getting all the required courses, and it all comes down to your luck at the last minute. If you dont get it, come back next year and click again.
Old 12-15-2012 at 11:19 PM   #11
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post

So basically, you spend all that effort getting all the required courses, and it all comes down to your luck at the last minute. If you dont get it, come back next year and click again.
Except you can't come back next year and click again.
If you have all of the requirements to graduate, you have to graduate, you can't just stick around for extra credits. Some people will delay taking a required course so that they can stay an extra year, but that won't really help you in this case.
Old 12-15-2012 at 11:30 PM   #12
biglandfarm

Liked: 66 Times

^ thats really BS...whats the point of trying to get a minor if all of it comes down to a gamble?!
Old 12-16-2012 at 12:07 PM   #13
keiser=)

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglandfarm View Post

Before you think its not fair you need to research on the options they are offering by visiting to commerce website and/or undergraduate calendar. I think its NOT REALLY UNFAIR that they will limit minor in business to 40 people because there are also 3 minor options: minor in accounting and financial services, finance or information systems which totalled 160 people. To answer your question, most of the courses listed on the electives for minor in business are REQUIRED CORE courses for commerce students so they likely give first priority and later to anybody else. That's why they recommend you take it during your senior years at mac. Hope this helps