MacInsiders Logo

Can anyone here ice skate?

Old 10-13-2010 at 04:39 PM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Canadian (as in 1/2 my family is from out East, for like a hundred years back) ..
Hockey-crazy dad...
Rep hockey playing sister...

Yeah, I skated when I was really young, I don't even remember a lot of the pictures. But I haven't skated since I was a little kid. But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fall on my face.

I can't believe most of your friends don't skate (unless they're recent immigrants?). We had skating trips in elementary school.
I can't skate.
Well, I can stand and go forward for about 2 minutes. Then I get tired.
And I can't stop or go backwards either.
And I also don't like going right. (clockwise)

Just because there's a stereotype that all Canadians love hockey doesn't mean it's true...

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:42 PM   #17
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
I can't believe most of your friends don't skate (unless they're recent immigrants?). We had skating trips in elementary school.
1) not all schools did skating trips
2) how long ago was elementary school, honestly?
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:48 PM   #18
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

Has anyone tried skating at Princess Point during winter? I've seen few people going there to skate (even played hockey!) before but not sure if it's safe
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:49 PM   #19
doug

Liked: 82 Times

I didn't bring my skates from Ottawa cause there's not really a good place to skate around here... (or at least that's what I was told)
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:53 PM   #20
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammyt View Post
Has anyone tried skating at Princess Point during winter? I've seen few people going there to skate (even played hockey!) before but not sure if it's safe
It's perfectly safe as the water is fairly shallow and isn't moving. i would not suggest princess point however as it'll be way busier since you can drive to it. Sassafras Point was recently Reopened this year, and a local Bio major I ran into tells me it freezes over perfectly smooth every year and was popular for skating before it was closed off a few years back. it's like a 15-20 minute walk from campus along the trail that leaves from the gravel parking lot beside Les Prince. The Pond/lake is shallower there so it'll be safer and freeze quicker. However, he also mentioned that there have been a few years that the water level had been low during winter and there were just patches of ice and the lake bottom. Also don't get skating at either around dusk because the coyotes like to make use of the ice bridges during the winter months.

mohammyt says thanks to REPLEKIA/. for this post.
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:55 PM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
It's perfectly safe as the water is fairly shallow and isn't moving. i would not suggest princess point however as it'll be way busier since you can drive to it. Sassafras Point was recently Reopened this year, and a local Bio major I ran into tells me it freezes over perfectly smooth every year and was popular for skating before it was closed off a few years back. it's like a 15-20 minute walk from campus along the trail that leaves from the gravel parking lot beside Les Prince. The Pond/lake is shallower there so it'll be safer and freeze quicker. However, he also mentioned that there have been a few years that the water level had been low during winter and there were just patches of ice and the lake bottom. Also don't get skating at either around dusk because the coyotes like to make use of the ice bridges during the winter months.
omfg coyotes. I'll be there. ;D

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-13-2010 at 04:57 PM   #22
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

OMG coyotes reminds me of shooting'em in RDR haha btw thanks for the info Replekia!
Old 10-13-2010 at 04:59 PM   #23
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
omfg coyotes. I'll be there. ;D
The coyotes around here are pretty awesome. I saw one on the far bank of cootes when I went on a hike Sept. 10th.

edit: this is Sassafras Point

Last edited by Replekia : 10-13-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2010 at 05:05 PM   #24
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

Desda, accompany me hand in hand to skating.

pl0x
Old 10-13-2010 at 05:14 PM   #25
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Budden View Post
Desda, accompany me hand in hand to skating.

pl0x
Aww~ This is so cute and/or creepy.
Old 10-13-2010 at 05:49 PM   #26
JBeans

Liked: 14 Times

I don't skate, not at all. I could just skate circles around most people. I'm now in my 9th season of speed skating and have coached it for almost 8 years.
Old 10-13-2010 at 05:58 PM   #27
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I haven't skated for sooo long, maybe 5 or 6 years.. But then again I don't exactly know how to skate, I'm halfway there, kind of . But I'd LOVE to actually learn. Are there any skating rinks closeby? I'd love to actually take lessons and/or learn from someone!
Old 10-14-2010 at 07:29 PM   #28
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I haven't skated for sooo long, maybe 5 or 6 years.. But then again I don't exactly know how to skate, I'm halfway there, kind of . But I'd LOVE to actually learn. Are there any skating rinks closeby? I'd love to actually take lessons and/or learn from someone!
The nearest rinks are either at Macklin Rd or Wilson St. There not far about a 5-10min bus ride.
Old 10-14-2010 at 11:32 PM   #29
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Man, I used to skate and play shinny sooo much when I was in elementary school and the start of high school. But then I just sorta stopped. I went back on the ice 2 years ago and it was so much fun. Took me about an hour to get into it, but it came back naturally. Skating in Cootes/Princess Point would be sweet though!
Old 10-14-2010 at 11:42 PM   #30
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
Man, I used to skate and play shinny sooo much when I was in elementary school and the start of high school. But then I just sorta stopped. I went back on the ice 2 years ago and it was so much fun. Took me about an hour to get into it, but it came back naturally. Skating in Cootes/Princess Point would be sweet though!
Yea, last year when it froze over I went there.