MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Construction in front of hospital Kevin_92 Automotive & Transportation 0 07-03-2013 08:00 AM
Is it possible to find a 4 month lease? aani Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 6 07-02-2011 10:34 AM
Course Listings?! zeChinaman Academics 21 06-13-2008 11:48 AM
marketplace listings choprn5 General Discussion 4 09-01-2007 04:41 PM

Where can i find listings of places that will charge by month rather than up front?

Old 07-28-2013 at 01:51 PM   #1
Psyclone

Liked: 0 Times

Where can i find listings of places that will charge by month rather than up front?
Ok, basically, im on the residence waiting list (at #75 right now). Since it looks like I won't be living on campus (at least for the first while, hopefully enough people drop out etc. so some spots open up). I live fairly far away (60-65 km drive), so commuting every single day is not ideal for me.

My options right now are:

1. Commute via bus or carpool for the first while and hope a spot opens up on campus res.
2. Find off campus residence and stay there, and then move into on campus res if i can get in eventually.

The problem with #2 is, most places charge rent for the entire year up front, and if i end up making it into on campus res, ill end up having paid for the rest of the year even though ive moved out. i can't afford this.

Are there any places that won't do this? Like they will actually charge me while im there, but if i decide to move out, they just stop charging? Like a room in someone's house or an apartment or anything? I've posted ads requesting to room at someone's house but have gotten no responses yet.
Old 07-28-2013 at 02:26 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyclone View Post
Ok, basically, im on the residence waiting list (at #75 right now). Since it looks like I won't be living on campus (at least for the first while, hopefully enough people drop out etc. so some spots open up). I live fairly far away (60-65 km drive), so commuting every single day is not ideal for me.

My options right now are:

1. Commute via bus or carpool for the first while and hope a spot opens up on campus res.
2. Find off campus residence and stay there, and then move into on campus res if i can get in eventually.

The problem with #2 is, most places charge rent for the entire year up front, and if i end up making it into on campus res, ill end up having paid for the rest of the year even though ive moved out. i can't afford this.

Are there any places that won't do this? Like they will actually charge me while im there, but if i decide to move out, they just stop charging? Like a room in someone's house or an apartment or anything? I've posted ads requesting to room at someone's house but have gotten no responses yet.
If you're renting you're never asked to pay up front for the entire year; it's just that you have a fixed term lease so even if you move out, you still have to pay your rent each month until the term is up. You could sublet your place to someone else though if you do end up getting into res.
It sounds like you're looking for a month-to-month lease which is really rare. As far as I know, there's no specific place that lists month-to-month leases - I'd be really surprised if you manage to find one at all, unless you're subletting from someone else.
Old 07-28-2013 at 02:51 PM   #3
AndrewS

Liked: 29 Times

https://macoffcampus.mcmaster .ca/classifieds/

co-op/short term rentals is where I'd check first. You can find places that are month to month or a short term lease (a few months). These places are also the most reasonable. You may have deduced that they won't be 24 Sussex Drive, but it doesn't matter. You can make the places your own. If you're looking at basement rooms, and you feel like you're going to hate it or feel kind of claustrophobic, don't get a basement room. As with anything, go with logic and your gut. Good luck with everything, and I hope your first at Mac is transformative in a good way.
Old 07-28-2013 at 06:01 PM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Check the Macinsiders marketplace as well. Sometimes people post short-term rentals as well for co-op/visiting students and such: http://www.macinsiders.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19 6