MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Commerce Level 3 Courses commie6666 Academics 2 09-20-2011 11:04 PM
Can business level 1 student take commerce 2XX3 courses? littlewood Academics 3 07-09-2011 10:28 AM
Limit to Lower Level Courses in Upper Years MichaelScarn Academics 11 06-13-2011 11:37 PM
can i take upper level courses? coco Academics 5 11-12-2008 04:02 PM

Can I take upper level calculus courses as a Commerce student?

Old 11-08-2015 at 11:40 AM   #1
Pattern

Liked: 0 Times

Can I take upper level calculus courses as a Commerce student?
I'm in my third year for Commerce and was curious as to how I would go about taking advanced calculus courses. The only prerequisites I have are Math 1M03 and Stats 1L03. With these courses it seems I can only take Science Calc (I & II) or Life Science Calc (I & II), which I'm not sure as a business student would help me very much. What is the best route for someone in my position wanting to learn multivariable calculus applicable to business/economics?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2015 at 06:29 PM   #2
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

1M03 is just a watered down version 1A03. If you want to take upper year math courses, you'll need 1A/1AA or 1X/1XX.

Pattern says thanks to topkek for this post.
Old 11-08-2015 at 07:23 PM   #3
Pattern

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for the information! I looked into it further and it says 1M03 can actually be used as a prerequisite for Math 1AA3. However, 1X/1XX is restricted to students registered in math and statistics. Not sure if you took 1A/1AA, but do you know how relevant the courses would be to a business student?
Old 11-08-2015 at 08:49 PM   #4
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

They won't be relevant.

Pattern says thanks to Moghue for this post.
Old 11-08-2015 at 09:34 PM   #5
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

A good grasp of mathematics is always good for a business student.
Old 11-09-2015 at 01:59 AM   #6
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

I don't think that 1A03 and 1AA3 actually had that many science/engineering applications. For the most part it was just pure math. There are application problems in the textbook that relate to biology, chemistry, physics and business but since it's a science math, instructors never cover the business application problems. The applications you'll cover include volume of revolution, surface area of revolution, hydrostatic force, modelling with DEs (biology and physics), level curves and other stuff.

Pattern says thanks to Imperious for this post.