MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arts and Science vs. Health Science? ktc11 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-18-2010 08:40 AM
Minor in Earth Science Tanya_33 Academics 2 01-02-2010 11:17 AM
Psych minor in Life Science? barbosa3315 Academics 5 12-30-2009 09:28 AM
Major Computer Science, Minor ??? Marty42 Academics 2 03-17-2009 02:17 PM
Computer Science Minor Abyss Academics 4 11-06-2008 11:09 PM

can you minor in health science?

Old 01-01-2010 at 01:54 AM   #1
ladyh

Liked: 25 Times

can you minor in health science?
I want to get into Ontario Veterinary College, and I am currently in Biology .. third year. It seems like the best path to take to get all the prerequisites I need for OVC.

Now that I have almost all my biology requirements finished, I've found that the majority of my classes are actually health science classes. (Around half of the courses I'm taking this year are health sci classes, and many of the classes I'm interested in next year are also health sci classes). I took virology and immunology like other 3rd year bio students, but for example I also took pathology, and I'm taking medical genetics, after getting permission.

Since I am getting so many credits from these kinds of courses .. is it possible to get a minor?

Whether I do or I don't, I don't particularly care, since OVC just cares about students that have a strong bio background, a good average, a good MCAT score, and lots of vet experience .. to have a minor in health science isn't going to benefit me. The courses are very interesting and relatively easy so I'd take them anyway. I'm just curious to know if it's even possible to get a minor in this subject.
Old 01-01-2010 at 02:08 AM   #2
emtee10
Mac Lifer

Liked: 49 Times

I think you can minor in Health Sci... the course calendar seems to suggest as much:

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1270.html

I'll see if I can follow up with the BHSc Office once classes begin next week.

ladyh says thanks to emtee10 for this post.
Old 01-01-2010 at 03:03 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I also made sure that there are enough courses to take by non-health science students and there is. There are also courses where you can get permission to take, either by the teacher of the assistant dean.
Old 01-01-2010 at 03:32 PM   #4
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

The only real issue might be scheduling. Otherwise, this seems like a sweet option.
Old 01-01-2010 at 03:39 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsci View Post
The only real issue might be scheduling. Otherwise, this seems like a sweet option.
Well, there is also the fact that A LOT of the courses have A LOT of antirequisites. So any student that wants to minor in health science should plan out his entire program, looking at all the required courses he/she has to take and if they would prevent him/her to take some of the health science courses. The student should make sure they can actually complete the minor before attempting it.

macsci says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 01-01-2010 at 03:50 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Forgot about the anti-reqs! Thanks
Old 01-01-2010 at 05:47 PM   #7
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

I don't think it's possible because under the Faculty of Health Sciences, "Minor in Health Science" does not appear to be an offered program. This section occurs in all departments that do allow you to complete a minor. You can't just randomly complete "enough" credits to fulfill a minor; you need to take certain pre-selected courses to get the designation.