MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Do I Get My Mac Email? Desda First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-07-2010 12:24 PM
MAC Email and Outlook resh.jyoti Computers & Tech 1 06-01-2010 05:12 AM
Mac places sixth in university rankings Email Story Email story PrintPrint Text Size Iamanonymous General Discussion 1 11-06-2009 09:42 AM
Email twitterbird First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 20 06-30-2009 09:55 AM
Setting up McMaster e-mail with entourage/outlook MightyMan General Discussion 2 09-05-2008 07:34 AM

Can you set up your Mac email on Outlook/ Thunderbird?

Old 11-24-2009 at 06:39 PM   #1
scott000

Liked: 8 Times

Can you set up your Mac email on Outlook/ Thunderbird?
Hey guys,

Just wondering if its possible to set up your Mac Email in Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, or any similar program?

Like most people, I have my Mac email set up to forward emails to my primary email account (ie. hotmail), however, for some things it is necessary to send emails from your Mac Account, so I'm wondering if its possible to do this through Outlook?

Has anyone done this?
Old 11-24-2009 at 07:00 PM   #2
mdd1
McMaster Employee

Liked: 7 Times

http://www.mcmaster.ca/uts/support/e...fig/index.html

-Mike

scott000 says thanks to mdd1 for this post.
Old 11-24-2009 at 07:26 PM   #3
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

This would probably be a bit more useful for you:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=2404 4

Right now you have your mcmaster E-mail set to forward email to your Hotmail account (not what you want to do). What you need to do is set up you hotmail to retraive those emails itself (which also comes with the ability to send mails under your MUSS account inside Hotmail.)

Hope that helps.

scott000 says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 11-24-2009 at 09:10 PM   #4
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

It's crazy easy to set up in Outlook!

I have outlook 2003, so it might be different if you're using 2007. I've used the beta for 2010, and it's similar too.

Tools > Email Accounts > add new email > select POP3 > fill out your user info. for incoming server it's muss.cis.mcmaster.ca the outgoing server can also be muss.cis.mcmaster.ca or it can be your home internet provider (i.e. smtp.cogeco.ca)

your logon info is the same as your muss acct (i.e. baumanj)

just send a test email - everything should work out fine!

scott000 says thanks to jmbauman for this post.
Old 11-24-2009 at 11:18 PM   #5
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Using Outlook (or Thunderbird/some other email software) is definitely the best and most efficient way to access email on a computer. The only more convenient way is with a BlackBerry
Old 11-25-2009 at 11:47 AM   #6
scott000

Liked: 8 Times

I decided to follow the instructions that Tailsnake linked to, however, when I send an email in Hotmail from my Mac Email, the email gets sent as from [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] Is it possible to change this so that it appears as though the message was sent diretly from my mac account?

If not, I'll switch to using Outlook.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 11-25-2009 at 12:09 PM   #7
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott000 View Post
I decided to follow the instructions that Tailsnake linked to, however, when I send an email in Hotmail from my Mac Email, the email gets sent as from [email protected] on behalf of [email protected]. Is it possible to change this so that it appears as though the message was sent diretly from my mac account?

If not, I'll switch to using Outlook.

Thanks for the help everyone.
In that case you'll likely have to use outlook, I use Gmail and it's perfectly capable of sending e-mails as my McMaster account, I assumed Hotmail would be able to as well. On the brightside setting up Outlook is quite easy.
Old 11-25-2009 at 01:12 PM   #8
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

I use OSX's Mail program with my MUSS and it works just fine. I can't remember where I found the instructions though. I think it's pretty much the same as for Outlook.
Old 11-26-2009 at 01:01 AM   #9
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
It's crazy easy to set up in Outlook!

I have outlook 2003, so it might be different if you're using 2007. I've used the beta for 2010, and it's similar too.

Tools > Email Accounts > add new email > select POP3 > fill out your user info. for incoming server it's muss.cis.mcmaster.ca the outgoing server can also be muss.cis.mcmaster.ca or it can be your home internet provider (i.e. smtp.cogeco.ca)

your logon info is the same as your muss acct (i.e. baumanj)

just send a test email - everything should work out fine!
What do you do if you don't have an internet provider and want to include a hotmail account?
Old 11-26-2009 at 07:49 AM   #10
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

you want to import your hotmail acct into outlook?

the outgoing server is just for whoever you want to connect to in order to send your emails. I'm sure that could be hotmail, I'm just not sure of what it would be because I don't use hotmail.

if you're just adding another email, follow the same steps.

I get my McMaster email and my personal email (which is a primus.ca account) into the same outlook window.

I hope that answers your question!

Goce says thanks to jmbauman for this post.
Old 11-26-2009 at 08:43 AM   #11
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbauman View Post
you want to import your hotmail acct into outlook?

the outgoing server is just for whoever you want to connect to in order to send your emails. I'm sure that could be hotmail, I'm just not sure of what it would be because I don't use hotmail.

if you're just adding another email, follow the same steps.

I get my McMaster email and my personal email (which is a primus.ca account) into the same outlook window.

I hope that answers your question!

Yeah, I would like to import my hotmail but it requires incoming and outgoing servers. Unlike with the McMaster account I don't know what to put in for that. I don't have an internet service provides, I just use City WiFi.
Old 11-26-2009 at 08:47 AM   #12
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

First Link in Google:
http://www.mydigitallife.inf o/2007...-outlook-2007/

Goce says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.
Old 11-26-2009 at 01:55 PM   #13
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Yeah, I would like to import my hotmail but it requires incoming and outgoing servers. Unlike with the McMaster account I don't know what to put in for that. I don't have an internet service provides, I just use City WiFi.
To access Hotmail in Outlook now you need Microsoft Office Outlook Connector, which can be downloaded here:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/ou...225181033.aspx

I've been using it for years. Unless things have changed without my noticing, trying to connect to Hotmail the conventional way will appear to work, but then it won't actually send/recieve your Hotmail email properly.