MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netflix now in Canada. Cliu91 Movies & Television 12 09-27-2010 05:40 PM
Hello Canada! Icethunder Introduce Yourself 17 06-21-2010 02:40 PM
Help Haiti Campaign: McMaster temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 1 01-14-2010 12:24 AM
It's Canada Day Up Canada Way!! temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 2 07-01-2008 07:24 AM

Canada For Haiti

Old 01-22-2010 at 07:00 PM   #1
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Canada For Haiti
To Donate:

Call

1-877-51 Haiti (42484) OR VISIT

CANADAFORHAITI.COM

Help this country out. The damage is unbelievable.

I've donated. Have You?

florencem., Jake, Kevin S, ~*Sara*~ all say thanks to Infinity for this post.
Old 01-22-2010 at 07:14 PM   #2
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

/facepalm

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-22-2010 at 08:33 PM   #3
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

My parents have donated quite a bit of money, and I'm planning on doing so as well.

It's a very unfortunate situation in Haiti. However, it's great to see that the international community is getting behind relief for Haiti, especially Canada. Canada has taken a leadership role in its rebuilding, which is perfectly reasonable since Canada has strong ties with Haiti. Hopefully we can help Haiti not only get back on its feet, but help solve some of the crushing social problems that have plagued the country for generations.

Old 01-22-2010 at 08:40 PM   #4
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

It's pretty pathetic that the world starts making a huge deal about the poorest country in the Americas, only because there was a natural disaster.

Yeah, really shows your intent. If you cared why didn't you give a crap before hand?

Old 01-22-2010 at 09:07 PM   #5
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

exactly, i didnt care then and i dont care now-thats the right attitude!
Old 01-22-2010 at 09:07 PM   #6
Ocho Cincho

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmzz View Post
It's pretty pathetic that the world starts making a huge deal about the poorest country in the Americas, only because there was a natural disaster.

Yeah, really shows your intent. If you cared why didn't you give a crap before hand?
Exactly, people are living in the same condition as Haiti all over Africa and Barrio's of South America!

I laugh at how people suddenly think they should do something for these poor people then go back to their lives in a few weeks.
Old 01-22-2010
Infinity
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-22-2010 at 09:39 PM   #7
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

Quote:

you need to climb out of little box and see what they lost.
Old 01-22-2010 at 10:38 PM   #8
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

I...love...you.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 01-22-2010 at 11:03 PM   #9
Proxy

Liked: 7 Times

Negative remarks aside from others, yeah I'll donate soon.

Quote:

There's a lot of countries in need. Pick one. Chances are you wouldn't pick Haiti, eh?

I've always believed and lived out in helping your own community "firstly" since 1) it's more readily accessible to help and 2) you see first hand what change you could/would do. There's the issue of apathy towards other countries in need (hell there's a ton which just blows your mind), but if the knowledge and resources are being made readily available for you to act on such as the case with Haiti's coverage then just do it. People complain too much.

Last edited by Proxy : 01-22-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Mowicz says thanks to Proxy for this post.

Old 01-23-2010 at 08:17 AM   #10
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Just to add to the notion of local charity...remember, the probability of international charity going to downtown Hamilton Ontario (or whatever city is your hometown) is almost zero.

The probability of it going to other 'obvious' places in need, like Haiti, is quite a bit larger than that...so it really does fall on the local community to help.

After donating to your local charities, take the 'left overs' pool them up and send it over to international charities...that way everyone gets a piece, and even though you donate 'less' internationally, it will add up nonetheless...and this way you help more people.

Here's an ideal scenario:

$10 a week to local charities times 10,000 people (depending on the area) = $100,000 a week to local charities.
$2 a week to international charities times 40,000,000 people (from all over the world) = $80,000,000 a week to international charities.

Of course people don't truly donate this much, but it's just some made up numbers to demonstrate what I mean.

As an aside, it's a pet peeve of mine when people think they have everything figured out about say, the homeless...assuming they're just lazy, or drug addicts, going to take your money and buy alcohol, etc. If you don't think it's productive to donate your money (for any of these reasons, or others), then donate your time, make a difference. In particular, the food bank is a great place to donate...because you know it's going toward food (and not something counterproductive), and you could really make a person or family's life easier!

Last edited by Mowicz : 01-23-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Jake, lorend all say thanks to Mowicz for this post.

Old 01-23-2010 at 10:47 AM   #11
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
See thats where your wrong. Just becuase your fortunate don't go hating on others. There was a lot progress in Haiti.... its been reduced to rubble. Everything those people worked for is gone.

Fine Africa and South America are in bad shape, but they really haven't lost anything... these people lost everything.
Oh you're a really dumb ****.

My father came from South Africa. He watched dead bodies being pushed off the streets with what we would call snow plows in the early 90s.

Who came to their aid? The place is still an f*ing disaster. Yet, this is not uncommon, there are handfuls of countries like this; some much much worse. Nothing to this extent is done for them. The media doesn't cover it.

Don't pretend you're special because you notice one big disaster and continue to ignore all the other countries who have gone through the same shit.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a completely terrible person. I am very compassionate for what has happened in Haiti. I have donated towards their aid. I just hate how all these blind people make such a huge deal out of it like its never happened before. It's also this subtle ignorance of gov't to make huge deals out of things for one country, but nothing for others.

This kind of shit goes on every day in the world. Our media just doesn't cover it. Donate, try to help, get on with it. It's the same old story.

Last edited by dmzz : 01-23-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2010 at 10:57 AM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Oh you're a really dumb ****.

My father came from South Africa. He watched dead bodies being pushed off the streets with what we would call snow plows in the early 90s.

Who came to their aid?

Don't pretend you're special because you notice one big disaster and continue to ignore all the other countries who have gone through the same shit.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a completely terrible person. I am very compassionate for what has happened in Haiti. I have donated towards their aid. I just hate how all these blind people make such a huge deal out of it like its never happened before. It's also this subtle ignorance of gov't to make huge deals out of things for one country, but nothing for others.

This kind of shit goes on every day in the world. Our media just doesn't cover it. Donate, try to help, get on with it. It's the same old story.
I totally agree with you dmzz.

Haiti has had issues since the 1490's when Columbus started destroying the Arawaks. It got worse when it was used as a sort of drop off point during the slave trade. If you look at the ethnic differences between the two sides of the island you will see what I mean.

And what you said about your father being South African brings up an interesting tidbit: how many of you knew that the South African apartheid system was based on the Canadian Indian Act?

I have donated money and help gain more to the cause for Haiti, but I think that people shouldn't a) only care about other nations when there is a disaster and b) should consider all of the issues in Canada as well.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

aya017, dmzz, lawleypop, Proxy like this.
Old 01-23-2010 at 11:02 AM   #13
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I have donated money and help gain more to the cause for Haiti, but I think that people shouldn't a) only care about other nations when there is a disaster and b) should consider all of the issues in Canada as well.
Very well said, Danielle. This basically sums the whole issue up pretty well.

Old 01-23-2010
dmzz
This message has been removed by a moderator. .