MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Musical Theater, Photography, and The Silhouette BeckieB Clubs & Groups 2 09-08-2010 11:13 PM
Silhouette Stock Challenge! $500 in Prizes!! jeffgreen MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 04:47 PM
The Silhouette is Hiring Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 08-10-2009 01:30 PM
The Silhouette launches new website Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 09-20-2008 08:31 AM

Cartoonist Wanted! Editorial Cartoonist needed at the Silhouette

Cartoonist Wanted! Editorial Cartoonist needed at the Silhouette

JEFF GREEN, 2009-2010 EXECUTIVE EDITOR, THE SILHOUETTE

Hi everyone,

The Silhouette is looking to find an editorial cartoonist for the 2009/10 year. The cartoons would be mostly focused on news at Mac and accompany the Editorial that week. Anyone interested should send an email to: [email protected]

Position Length: September 2009 - April 2010
Perks: The Editorial Cartoonist would be a full Silhouette Staff member - including an editorial vote on all editorial content in the Silhouette.
A weekly portfolio in 10,000 copies and online @ thesil.ca.

It's been a few years since the Sil has had a cartoonist for their editorial, and it would be great if anyone would volenteer, or if you could pass this on to someone who you think would fit the job, Thanks!

Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-23-2009 at 07:01 PM   #2
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
How about a weekly column for me?

Old 06-23-2009 at 11:20 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Bahaha.

I might as well get one to comment on how stupidly most girls dress.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-24-2009 at 09:59 AM   #4
jeffgreen

Liked: 8 Times
Why not write an opinion article for the July 9 issue? 400-600 words on whatever you want... submissions due by July 7
Danielle -- you can write on how well rohan dreses... we'll put them side by side

Old 06-24-2009 at 10:55 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

But Rohan doesn't dress like a slutty girl.

Yet?

C'mon....

Please?

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-25-2009 at 09:40 PM   #6
Omega_X13

Liked: 9 Times
Actually, I was wondering how one gets involved with writing articles or anything for that matter for The Sil? Someone once told me there were regular meetings and they would assign people stories? Or maybe I imagined this explanation...lol

Old 06-25-2009 at 09:48 PM   #7
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_X13 View Post
Actually, I was wondering how one gets involved with writing articles or anything for that matter for The Sil? Someone once told me there were regular meetings and they would assign people stories? Or maybe I imagined this explanation...lol
Email Jeff Green your contact information. His email is [email protected]

Getting involved is as simple as showing an interest and telling the paper what you want to do. From there, the paper tries to fit a good place to fit you in and train you in that area.

- Joey

Omega_X13 says thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.

Old 06-25-2009 at 09:52 PM   #8
Omega_X13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post
Email Jeff Green your contact information. His email is [email protected]

Getting involved is as simple as showing an interest and telling the paper what you want to do. From there, the paper tries to fit a good place to fit you in and train you in that area.

- Joey
Ohhh, here I thought there was some sort of intense competitive application/interview process...lol. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-25-2009 at 10:02 PM   #9
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Ohhh, here I thought there was some sort of intense competitive application/interview process...lol. Thanks for the info!
There is a process to get published and to eventually become Silhouette staff. Getting involved is easy enough and the editors will work with you to get you to the level of being published.

It sometimes takes a couple of edits and rewrites to get there. As long as you are willing to work and be patient, you will be able to make a great writer/journalist.

The people who complain about their involvement are generally people who do not have the patience and maturity to undertake the writing process.

Even now, when I write, I have pieces that are returned for major revisions.

- Joey

Old 06-26-2009 at 10:30 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I have my stuff revised when I write for the other publications I work for too. Sometimes it's a simple word order change, and in others my stuff gets completely gutted. Regardless I appreciate what the editor is doing for me.

You have to liken it to essay-writing: let's say you write an essay and you ask a friend to edit it. They read it over and think yes, there are lots of errors here but if I correct them my friend will be mad. So they leave the essay without corrections. You submit it, and receive a really crappy mark in the end. I'm pretty sure you'd be frustrated with your editor for not catching those errors.

Editing (for publications and school) is really a means of constructive criticism, and if you are a writer you are happy to get comment, even if in the end it makes for a little bit more work for you.

I'd also like to share the following:

A writing proverb: "In order to be a storyteller, you must first listen. In order to be a writer, you must first read".

"In order to be a snarky writer who thinks he's funny, watch the world like you're invisible" -- Drew Hayden Taylor.

Snarky writing is the best kind.

Oh, and MACINSIDERS NEEDS WRITERS TOO!!!

Old 06-26-2009 at 12:23 PM   #11
jeffgreen

Liked: 8 Times
Quote:

Yes, there are regular meetings durring the school year where story ideas are discussed and assigned. We posted for a cartoonist so that we can have a member on staff for a weekly editorial cartoon.
As for the other sections, the summer issues don't have regular meetings, but they'll start up again in September. Anyone interested in writing or taking photos for the sil should send a quick email to: [email protected]

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2009 at 09:45 PM   #12
Omega_X13

Ah, thanks. I'm definitely interested, so I'll send an email as it gets closer to September.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search