MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How are you guys studying for Bio 1A03? omgwtfitsp General Discussion 1 01-15-2012 02:06 PM
studying for chem to the VERY last two days before aw07 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 10-12-2011 05:32 PM
studying tips for CHEM ENG 2D04 MIDTERM jon.john23 Academics 9 10-02-2011 02:47 PM
1M03, tips for Studying? cjwittmann Academics 4 08-17-2011 02:37 PM

Chem 1A03 - Studying Tips !

Old 10-10-2013 at 04:10 PM   #1
Jenna91-04-91

Liked: 0 Times

Chem 1A03 - Studying Tips !
So I haven't done chemistry since i was in grade.12 which is like 2-3 years ago. I forgot most of the concepts taught. Not only that I have been doing a poor job keeping up with my notes, tutorial question...I forget basic ideas like forming equations,empirical formula,etc . (pretty much the whole package).

We have our exam next week ... which includes going through (chpt. 8, 9 , 10, 15 plus all other fundamental review included in chpt 1-5)

I am kind of overwhelmed seeing as I don't even remember the basic concepts, let along having to remember a whole bunch of other stuff.

What are some general studying tips ... how should I approach this ?
(P.S. I did invest in a tutor ... however, I did not find it very useful)

-Sincerely: A VERY DESPERATE STUDENT WANTING TO DO WELL :(
Old 10-10-2013 at 05:07 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

trick with chem is to focus on the slides and tutorial questions the most. thats all you need to do well. and masteringchem
Old 10-10-2013 at 05:12 PM   #3
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!
Focus a lot on doing questions. Allocate more of your time to practicing than learning the concepts. Having said that know the concepts well and then practice practice practice!
Old 10-10-2013 at 05:49 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

find past papers, do past papers. if you have mastering chem do those too
Old 10-10-2013
BobSmith99
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-10-2013 at 06:05 PM   #5
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

^He's right..textbook is the way to go! They use questions from the textbook so please review all of them!! And past papers are posted by the profs..mastering chem is kinda useful not really though! Good luck!

KayS says thanks to bobsingh for this post.
Old 10-10-2013 at 07:39 PM   #6
naval23

Liked: 33 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna91-04-91 View Post
So I haven't done chemistry since i was in grade.12 which is like 2-3 years ago. I forgot most of the concepts taught. Not only that I have been doing a poor job keeping up with my notes, tutorial question...I forget basic ideas like forming equations,empirical formula,etc . (pretty much the whole package).

We have our exam next week ... which includes going through (chpt. 8, 9 , 10, 15 plus all other fundamental review included in chpt 1-5)

I am kind of overwhelmed seeing as I don't even remember the basic concepts, let along having to remember a whole bunch of other stuff.

What are some general studying tips ... how should I approach this ?
(P.S. I did invest in a tutor ... however, I did not find it very useful)

-Sincerely: A VERY DESPERATE STUDENT WANTING TO DO WELL :(
Read your notes chapter by chapter, and try to understand the problem-solving. When you can do the problem-solving questions in your notes without looking at your notes, you are ready for the tutorials.

Attempt the tutorials, and check your answers. If you're wrong, figure out where you went wrong. As long as you can do tutorials and understand them, you will be more than prepared for the tests - tutorials are sufficient preparation.

Anything you don't get, see a prof ASAP or visit the chem TAs in their office hours.

And past tests are a must! They have solutions posted too, so attempt the test without looking at the solutions, and see how you do. Whatever you get wrong, make note of, (example, if it was a VSEPR question and you got it wrong, go back to your VSEPR notes and try again!). I don't think textbook questions are necessary, if you're pressed for time, don't bother with them.

As long as you put the time into doing the tutorials and understanding the notes and doing & understanding the practice tests, you will be fine. Best of luck!
Old 10-10-2013 at 09:02 PM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you guys are kidding. unless the course changed since 2011, the textbook will stay useless outside of certain problems. slides is all that matter.
Old 10-10-2013
BobSmith99
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-11-2013 at 09:38 AM   #8
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

I took the course last year too...chem was so easy i didn't even go to class...the iclickers were transferred onto my exam and i ended up opting out of mastering chem since it wasn't useful. Just study the textbook and do all the questions not only the recommended problem..you'll be fine trust