MacInsiders Logo

chem 1aa3 lab manual

Old 07-28-2010 at 05:53 PM   #1
cellphone

Liked: 5 Times

chem 1aa3 lab manual
Does anyone have the online lab manual for this course? I am exempt from the labs so I don't need it but I'm assuming we need it to study for the exams...anyone? much appreciated.
Old 07-28-2010 at 06:32 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

They no longer have online lab manuals; you have to purchase a $5 copy from the Chem department

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-28-2010 at 07:01 PM   #3
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

. . . how did you get exempt from labs?
and theres only ever 1 question on the exam/midterms that deals with the lab
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-28-2010 at 07:14 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

You're generally only exempt from labs if you've taken the course at Mac and gotten above a certain grade in the labs. If this is the case, then you should theoretically be okay for the one question on each midterm that directly relates to lab material not covered in lectures. The only question like that that I recall was one about the silver test for aldehydes, and it was only a small part of one of the labs. If you'd to review it though, you can buy the lab manual or borrow it from someone, I guess. Sucks that they no longer put it online, though!!!!

Also, it can vary from year to year--they take out some parts of labs or add others in, modify the procedure, etc etc. Occasionally, whole labs can change completely. If you find an old version, be careful--you might end up studying something the rest of the class never did, or miss out on something that was added to the lab.
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:25 PM   #5
cellphone

that sucks, i am repeating the course and don't want to fail this question, but i have no idea what labs i did :|
can anyone post the names of the labs on here please? im guessing the exam will only be testing the last couple? or all of em?
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:30 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellphone View Post
that sucks, i am repeating the course and don't want to fail this question, but i have no idea what labs i did :|
can anyone post the names of the labs on here please? im guessing the exam will only be testing the last couple? or all of em?
When was the last time you took this course? You should be able to access your lab manual if you took it last year.
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:38 PM   #7
cellphone

took it 3 years ago :( everythings changed since then too
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:43 PM   #8
nerual
Account Disabled by User

You should double-check as to whether you are actually exempt from labs, then. If the content of labs has changed, enough since then, they might not allow it. They usually specify a time period in which you had to have taken the course to be exempt. I took it two years ago though, and I don't think it's changed THAT much, but it can't hurt to double-check. Also, you need a minimum mark in the labs (I think it's 80%, but I could be wrong...) to be exempt.

If you're really worried about the 3-4 questions on the labs, then spend the $5 on the lab manual As far as course materials go, that's pretty cheap!

I remember our first two labs involved synthesizing, recrystallizing, and then breaking apart aspirin. The other three, I don't remember.
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:47 PM   #9
cellphone

Yes, of course I'm sure I'm exempt! ( it would be pretty sad at this point, considering like 20% of my grade would be gone) The deadline for exemptions was like in the first week of class.
Old 07-30-2010 at 09:49 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Oh, are you taking it in the summer? I assumed you were talking about the upcoming school year.

Is it too late to buy a manual? If so, then you should probably borrow someones.