MacInsiders Logo

Chemistry 1A03

Old 07-01-2008 at 04:22 PM   #16
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Chemistry 1A03
Overview
Chemistry 1A03 covers basic assumed knowledge from highschool (bonding, gases, atomic theory, etc), electrons in atoms, periodic table trends, acids & bases, equilibrium, aqueous solutions and thermochemistry. This is a rather large first year class, so it's taught by 3 or...

all say thanks to kenneth526 for this post.

like this.
Old 04-11-2009 at 08:26 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I remember that second midterm. Looked around the room and 90% of people looked like they wanted to cry.
Yeah the 2nd mitterm was pretty hard.

I know this thread is from last year but in case anyone is going to be taking this course:

The chapters mentioned ("1-4 +6") but not covered is assumed knowledge, meaning you must know this stuff in order to use it to build upon with the lectures. Unless you had Grade 12 Chem the previous year and reviewed chemistry over the summer you should go through these chapters thoroughly.. being intimately familiar with rudimentary concepts like gas laws, chemical composition, balancing, etc will give you a significant edge to proceeding chapters, and test will be a lot easier.

You don't have to be able to do the examples 100% but you shouldn't be too terrible at them either...
(this is advice i wished somebody had given me)
Old 05-24-2009 at 01:35 AM   #16
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
hello, i am going to attend mcmaster university for 1st yr life science in september 2009
i was just wondering what the most difficult courses are for 1st yr life science at mac?
i know it depends on ur strengths/weaknesses, how hard ur school was and the concepts you covered
i just wanted to hear overall which courses students had the most difficulty in 1st yr

thanks a lot for your time
Old 05-25-2009 at 08:34 PM   #17
sycoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
hello, i am going to attend mcmaster university for 1st yr life science in september 2009
i was just wondering what the most difficult courses are for 1st yr life science at mac?
i know it depends on ur strengths/weaknesses, how hard ur school was and the concepts you covered
i just wanted to hear overall which courses students had the most difficulty in 1st yr

Chemistry, Chem1A03 specifically
Old 05-31-2009 at 05:12 PM   #18
mumbojumbo

Liked: 10 Times
I had an 89 percent on the first Chemistry midterm. I thought I was gonna ace the course until I wrote the second midterm. Then, the exam, for me was the killer since I had to cram Biology and Chem together in one week! So, in conclusion, cumulative tests suck and there's too much assumed knowledge in this course!
Old 06-10-2009 at 12:44 PM   #19
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo View Post
I had an 89 percent on the first Chemistry midterm. I thought I was gonna ace the course until I wrote the second midterm. Then, the exam, for me was the killer since I had to cram Biology and Chem together in one week! So, in conclusion, cumulative tests suck and there's too much assumed knowledge in this course!
Omg I remember that.. Bio was the next day after Chem that was horrible.
I did really well on the exam though.. probably because i focused on chem more than biology.
For me, I found the more practice questions I did the better.. so all the previous tests, some of the textbook questions, the tutorial questions.. even redoing some of the quiz questions.
What I liked about the quizzes was that there wasn't a time limit (unlike bio....) n u could collaborate with ur friends to finish it.
I liked the course overall though... but that's just cuz I like chem
Old 06-11-2009 at 01:46 PM   #20
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post

I really hate chemistry but I personally did not find Chem 1A03 to be that hard. However, you do have to work in order to get a good grade in this course. If you keep up with the material, it should not be too bad.

For me, physics was definitely the hardest course. I suppose it all depends on your background (ex. how the courses were taught in your highschool and how much knowledge you have retained).

Hope that helps.

EDIT: im not sure where my member review came from. I would NOT give this course a 10 in easiness or a overall rating of 4. i would probably give the course a 6 in easiness and an overall rating of 6. i had Dr. Pippa Lock and she was amazing! I would give her a 10/10!

Last edited by rrtt : 06-11-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2009 at 01:56 PM   #21
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
You can change your review on the first page, just click on "Rate Now"
Old 06-11-2009 at 02:02 PM   #22
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You can change your review on the first page, just click on "Rate Now"
thats much better! thanks
Old 06-28-2009
pat2010
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-28-2009 at 04:22 PM   #23
pat2010

Liked: 0 Times
Hey I'm selecting courses for my timetable, and it says that there's four professors who teach Chemistry 1A03: Lock P, Britz McKibbin P, Goward GR and Emslie DJ. WWhich professor would people recommend going with?
Old 06-28-2009 at 04:26 PM   #24
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
I would recommend Lock. Avoid Mckibbin, I didn't like him.

pat2010 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 06-28-2009
pat2010
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-28-2009 at 06:12 PM   #25
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times
I had Dr. McKibbin and I loved him. Also had Lock. She is also very good..probably better at explaining concepts than Britz but he is still a good prof (in my opinion anyway).

pat2010 says thanks to Harlequin for this post.
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:59 AM   #26
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times
I had Goward and Lock, and I found them both effective.
I'd say goward is especially good for the first few units of the course,
and Lock is REALLY good with acid base i swear her reviews saved me.
Old 06-29-2009 at 07:48 PM   #27
lankan_4lif

Do the CHEM 1A03 and CHEM 1AA3 textbooks come with solution manuals that you can purchase along with the main textbooks?
Are there solution manuals as well for the PHYSICS 1B03 and MATH 1LS3 textbooks too?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search