MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Massive 8.8-magnitude quake strikes Japan Rakim General Discussion 30 03-12-2011 06:43 AM
Largest 8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami hits Japan Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-12-2011 12:16 AM
Teaching ESL overseas (primarily china/korea/japan) killza Volunteering Opportunities 4 07-22-2010 02:08 PM

Chernobyl on Japan

Old 03-12-2011 at 04:57 AM   #1
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Chernobyl on Japan
Isnt this great? Nuclear reactors in Japan are having coolant issues, then complete failure, America volunteers to send some coolant to keep the situation contained...Japan denies it, now they have a full blown meltdown, with the fallout expecting to reach BC, and western coast of the states...
Old 03-12-2011 at 05:11 AM   #2
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

You should add a source.

Last I heard, it wasn't that bad. Not bad enough to be compared to Chernobyl.

Then Youtube got a video of a Nuclear Explosion.

Old 03-12-2011 at 05:17 AM   #3
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHQXW7VSMw

Last edited by Rubicon : 03-12-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 03-12-2011 at 05:38 AM   #4
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

Let me see if I can clear a few things up:

1) Seismic sensors get triggered, and the plants are forced into emergency shut down immediately.

2) In the shut down state, fission is effectively stopped, but there is a residual 'decay heat'. This heat still needs to be removed (on the order of 1% of the thermal power)

3a) If the plant is still connected to the grid, then the existing pumps are used to circulate the coolant removing the heat from the fuel.

3b) If the plant is no longer on the grid, then diesel generators are used to supply power for the pumps. My understanding is that the diesel generators kicked in (since all the nuclear plants in the region shutdown), however they failed shortly after when the tsunami hit.

3c) I'm not familiar with the exact nature of this plant, but I've heard that the pumps may also be powered using giant batteries for a very short period.

4) When you can't remove heat fast enough with the coolant, the inventory in the heat transport system begins to warm up and boil. When you start producing significant amounts of steam, the pressure in the reactor increases. Throughout yesterday, TEPCO was releasing some of the steam to the atmosphere in order to relieve the pressure in the building.

5) There are reports of Cesium being detected in the area around the plant. That's a good indicator that some of the fission products in the fuel have been released. In layman's terms, it's likely that part of one or several rods melted.

6) The video is of what looks to be a hydrogen explosion (non-nuclear). Hydrogen gas is sometimes used to cool the electrical generators. It also forms when superheated steam reacts with the fuel (worst case). It's not clear which it is at this point.

The short of it: This is scary, and some of us are following it VERY closely. Right now, it looks worse than Three-Mile Island, but is still a long way from Chernobyl.

frhnh, Geek, lakhim, Pay919, RyanC, tatski-p, _Luu_ all say thanks to kleung for this post.

Old 03-12-2011 at 05:53 AM   #5
kleung

Liked: 57 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Isnt this great? Nuclear reactors in Japan are having coolant issues, then complete failure, America volunteers to send some coolant to keep the situation contained...Japan denies it, now they have a full blown meltdown, with the fallout expecting to reach BC, and western coast of the states...
The "US sending coolant" thing was a mistake that Hilary Clinton made in her speech I believe. The reactors are cooled by water. The US shipping in more water doesn't make sense. I suspect it was supposed to have been 'electrical generators' and that got lost in the speech writing process.

Regarding the fallout - I haven't seen the numbers on the radiation released, but keep in mind that when something is being dispersed, it tends to follow a 1/r^2 relationship.

drhorrible, temptingf8 like this.
Old 03-12-2011 at 08:21 AM   #6
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

KABOOM

No really though it is a light water reactor. These don't typically explode during a meltdown.

Earthquake...radiatio n....GODZILLA!!!!!

ShouldBeStudying likes this.
Old 03-12-2011 at 09:21 AM   #7
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Can we please not make historical claims like that? Pet peeve. Crosby is not Gretzky.This is not Chernobyl. And Kate will never be Diana.

Last edited by britb : 03-12-2011 at 09:29 AM.

AelyaS, lakhim, noor91 like this.
Old 03-12-2011 at 12:25 PM   #8
nonikhanna

Liked: 3 Times

you know.... december 2012 is JUST next year.
Old 03-12-2011 at 12:31 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
And December 2013 is two years from now, whats your point?

Old 03-12-2011 at 01:00 PM   #10
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonikhanna View Post
Now the internet is being flooded with "ZOMG when you add 9/11/01 and 3/10/11 you get 12/21/12 D:!"

-_-

Man people are dense sometimes.

drhorrible, _Luu_ like this.
Old 03-12-2011 at 01:02 PM   #11
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Now the internet is being flooded with "ZOMG when you add 9/11/01 and 3/10/11 you get 12/21/12 D:!"
So the world's gonna end in 4012?

Old 03-12-2011 at 01:09 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:

-_-

Nah, its obvious that gawd/azteks hate japs and yanks. Or something. You're just believing what the government wants you to think. Expand your mind man!
Old 03-12-2011 at 01:14 PM   #13
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:

-_-

There will always be skeptics. Have fun regreting when it comes. Personally I'm dropping out of school as soon as my line of credit is approve. Gonna go travel and enjoy myself for the little amount of time I have. Would have done it soner had I heard about 2012 and saw these evidence earlier. Insert anxious face here
Old 03-12-2011 at 01:22 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLN View Post
There will always be skeptics. Have fun regreting when it comes. Personally I'm dropping out of school as soon as my line of credit is approve. Gonna go travel and enjoy myself for the little amount of time I have. Would have done it soner had I heard about 2012 and saw these evidence earlier. Insert anxious face here
Part of what makes you such a fantasic poster is that I can't work out if you're serious most of the time... where are you going to travel?
Old 03-12-2011 at 01:22 PM   #15
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

http://www.theglobeandmail.c om/new...rticle1939779/