MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Classics 2MT3- Ancient Roots of Medical Terminology Jovana.m Academics 2 09-11-2013 07:22 PM
Classic 2e03-the Ancient World In Film Ever Academics 4 08-18-2013 12:05 PM
Classics 2E03/Theatr and Film 2G03 DonJuan Academics 0 10-26-2009 10:32 PM
Classics 2E03/THTR&FLM 2G03 jachill Academics 5 06-11-2009 02:01 PM
Difference between classics 1A03 and classics 1M03?? Guest253 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-04-2008 07:53 AM

Classics 2E03 - The Ancient Wold in Film

Published by luna
08-23-2013
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
100%100%100%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
100%100%100%
Average 98%

I think this is a new course starting this fall term. A friend of mine took it this summer so hopefully I can help. Basically here's what you need to know:

In this course, you learn about greek myths from their greek translations. You do the readings of the myths in the course pack and then the prof explains the myth to you in class. Most importantly each class you watch a film relating to the myth you are covering that week. For example, my friend watched the film gladiator when they were talking about greek heroes and such. Then the prof discusses the relationship of the film with the readings. You look at the ancient world in old films and how it is portrayed in them. It seems like a very interesting class except for the fact that you mostly watch old films (1960s etc) which I do not particularly find that interesting. Overall, its looking at different versions of well-known greek myths and their portrayal in the media.

There are weekly quizzes based on the readings and films but they seem very easy (my friend got around 80 or above on all of them) but the prof sometimes adds in a couple of trick questions to make the quizzes hard if they seem too easy but they're still doable. There were no tests. The final had various options: take-home exam (4/10 questions to do, 1pg), essay (2000-3000 words), or a project (screenplay, graphic novel, comic strip, etc.). You got marks for attendance and participation in class and on avenue too. So, it's definitely possible to get a grade 12 easily in the course!!! but keep in mind this was in the summer term so some little things might change now.

extra info - the greek myths covered are well known stories like cyclops, electra, medea, etc. You look at the english translations of the myth from different historical greek writers (sophcles, homer, etc.). The readings are really long with a couple really short ones near the end of the term. The prof also explains greek and roman history too and talks about the politics that were happening the time the story was written so you will have to remember some important dates, wars/events, and political figures too. However, still the course is very easy and the prof is very nice and fair in comparison to most other profs you would in upper years.

The prof is Dr. Russell - great prof, interested in his work, willing to clarify things and answer questions, nice, and fair in terms of work load and grading.

I know it's a lot of info but hopefully it helps!!

Nirmani likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Classics 2E03 - The Ancient Wold in Film!

Old 09-22-2013 at 09:46 AM   #2
Nirmani

Liked: 0 Times
Hi, are these quizzes online or during class time?
Old 08-10-2014 at 01:41 AM   #3
MacJk

Liked: 7 Times
Thanks so much for your detailed review!
What was the format of the quizzes? M/C, short answers, essay etc
Old 12-29-2014 at 09:39 PM   #4
Tavia12

Highly recommend this course! Aside from the super interesting material, prof Russell was phenomenal. He truly cared about the students, and was so helpful during office hours. His assignments were fairly marked as well. As long as you keep up with the readings and follow his guidelines, it's really easy to do well (10+) in this course.

Old 07-20-2015 at 08:43 PM   #5
simsandmax

Has anyone had this course with Dr. Murgatroyd?
Old 05-27-2017 at 12:08 AM   #6
TheHound

Updated review?
Has anyone taken this course recently and have an up-to-date review?
Old 06-29-2017 at 12:47 PM   #7
stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHound View Post
Has anyone taken this course recently and have an up-to-date review?
Yes also looking for a a newer review. mosaic says 'staff' and no particular instructor is listed.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search