MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Philosophy 1B03 AND Philosophy 1D03 Annieloveedw Academics 5 01-10-2012 04:20 PM

Cmst/Philosophy/PS 2TT3

Cmst/Philosophy/PS 2TT3
Published by chryslad
12-21-2012
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
70%70%70%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
70%70%70%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 75%
Cmst/Philosophy/PS 2TT3

I just took this course in the Fall (2012), and the breakdown was:

Midterm: 25% - Short answer about different theories. Fairly straightfoward questions, not too much application. Pretty easy if you study and understand the theories.

Essay: 30% - 2000-2500 words. You have 2 options with two different due dates: 1) find a lie that a political figure said and use a theory to explain whether it was justified or not. 2) find a media case study that raised ethical issues and explain how it could have been handled better using the theories from class. Dr. Igneski allowed the opportunity to stray from these topics (i.e. not necessarily using a political figure in the first option).

Tutorial participation/attendance: 10%

Final exam: 35% - Long answer questions. They essentially expected us to write 5 essays (intro, body paragraphs and conclusion) in 2 hours. The exam tested on material from the latter half of the course (on lying and media ethics), but required the application of theories to certain questions. We had a choice as to which theories we applied. I remember there being a question on Bok's public test of justification, a media case and its micro/midrange/macro issues, excuses people give for lying and reasons why the messages are more persuasive, the advantages/disadvantages to citizen journalism, behavioural targeting (why it is happening more, what it is, some concerns with it and whether/what should be implemented to improve the ethics behind it), and applying the Potter Box to the Pimp, the Prostitute and the Preacher media case. Apparently this is the same exam that my friend had the year prior too, so I don't see it changing much.

The second half of the class was fairly boring and unstructured/unorganized. It was difficult to study for because there was not much connection between concepts.

The notes that my friend had taken from the year prior were exactly the same this year.

I didn't buy any of the textbooks (there were many, and they were expensive), and did really good in the class. She covered all of the tested material in class, so I'm glad I didn't buy them.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Cmst/Philosophy/PS 2TT3!

Old 01-07-2013 at 01:14 PM   #2
emmacorlesf

Liked: 0 Times
really good class/interesting and not a lot of work
Old 12-18-2013 at 02:03 AM   #3
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times
Same questions for this year's exam, too, thanks!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search