MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Third Year Molecular Biology and Genetics KMMF Introduce Yourself 1 06-08-2011 11:24 AM
Molecular Biology and Genetics neeti10 Academics 5 05-29-2011 01:43 PM
Honours Biology vs. Molecular Biology and Genetics Nikki03 Academics 3 06-27-2010 10:31 PM
Honours Molecular Biology and Genetics The MACster First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 03-01-2010 07:45 PM
program size of honors molecular biology and genetics? shreya s. General Discussion 2 07-21-2009 01:24 PM

co-op positions in Molecular Biology and Genetics?

Old 07-16-2012 at 05:43 PM   #1
smallthings

Liked: 1 Time

co-op positions in Molecular Biology and Genetics?
i was wondering what some specific co-op positions that people in the Molecular Biology and Genetics program have done. what were the tasks that you did? because i've seen some position titles on the mac website but i'm just wondering what the work will actually consist of. also do you always get paid or not?
Old 07-16-2012 at 06:22 PM   #2
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallthings View Post
i was wondering what some specific co-op positions that people in the Molecular Biology and Genetics program have done. what were the tasks that you did? because i've seen some position titles on the mac website but i'm just wondering what the work will actually consist of. also do you always get paid or not?
For co-op, you always get paid--it's a non-negotiable requirement.

Tasks depend on the position. I know someone in mol bio & genetics is doing his placement/thesis in my lab, and so the tasks he's doing are specific to the research our lab does and the project he's working on. Some people work in government, and it's kind of the same thing there...the tasks depend on exactly what lab or division you're in.
There are also some jobs that don't involve lab work.
Old 07-16-2012 at 06:40 PM   #3
dhyong

Liked: 19 Times

You pretty much have to find your own job and you get paid 10.25 an hour for most of them. And you get to pay $650/semester to the co-op office

Old 07-18-2012 at 07:54 AM   #4
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

About 1.5 weeks of salary ,but it is like a job finding agency, you do have to pay those guys. At least you are getting experience related to your degree. How many Ontario univeristies have co-op for science?
Old 07-18-2012 at 08:00 AM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
About 1.5 weeks of salary ,but it is like a job finding agency, you do have to pay those guys. At least you are getting experience related to your degree. How many Ontario univeristies have co-op for science?
Most do.
Waterloo
UOIT
Western
Lakehead
Windsor
Queens

That was just based on a quick search, I'm sure there are others as well, especially if smaller ones like UOIT, Windsor and Lakehead have science co-op programs.
Old 07-19-2012 at 11:28 PM   #6
mayyonnaise

Liked: 0 Times

I recently graduated from the Mol Bio & Genetics Co-op program and I did two placements at the Research Institute at the Hospital for Sick Children. It was in a basic science lab researching a type of brain malformation. My last one was in the biology department at McMaster which led to my fourth year thesis course. Most placements you get will be in a laboratory setting either in academia, the private sector or with the government.

If you are considering joining the program, do take into consideration the ridiculous co-op fee mentioned before. Personally, I found the co-op office to be more of a burden than helpful in the job search. I ended up performing my own personalized job searches to get my positions. Hopefully the co-op office is now in better shape to actually help students and the fee can be justified.

Overall, the co-op experience was a great one as it gave me the opportunity to gain great (longer term) lab experience that I may not have gotten if I had only worked in a lab during the summers.

smallthings says thanks to mayyonnaise for this post.