MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Drop Commerce 2BA3?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ smshlyxlhl Academics 1 10-15-2010 01:50 AM
Drop Commerce 2BA3? smshlyxlhl General Discussion 3 10-13-2010 04:26 AM
Commerce 2BA3 Full...again. pogy Academics 5 06-10-2010 10:26 AM
Dropping Commerce 2BA3? biggzzz Academics 4 01-07-2009 06:58 PM

Com 2ba3

Com 2ba3
Organizational Behaviour
Published by Eva C
06-16-2008
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Overall Rating
80%80%80%
Professor Rating
90%90%90%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 83%
Com 2ba3

Organizational Behaviour. Have you ever wondered what its like to work in a big organization? Aside from what you learn at school, what theory and behavioural skills do you need to make you successful? I found that OB is able to answer sme of these questions. It helpped me understand not only how I interneat with people and the style i use, i also realize what others do as well and learn the theory and ways of how to work with those people.

The Course: First half of hte course looks at the micro part of the business, the people that make it up. It looked at topics such as personality, emotions, power, politics and decision-making. Then it went on to look at how people interact with other people in the organization: how do we negotiation, group dynamics, communication within the group, group decision making, teamwork.
Finally, it looks at macro, the big picture of how an organization ir orgainzed and hte external factors that can affect it: this includes technology, the environment, organizational structure, and different leadership styles. If you too OB in highschool, then it is very similar material. I enjoyed it in highschool so I took it again at mac

In class group assignemnts: Three in total, each worth 10%. This can go well if you have a good group, not well if you don't have a good group. So if you have friends that you know are smart, then good job. The first one is hard if you are working with people that you don't know. Each assignment consists of 5 questions and you have to answer it. They are quite a long answer to each, I usually write 2 pages work of stuff. So writing fast is key. You only get that one class period and have a group of 3-5 students. You wont' really strategize how to do it properly, and are at risk of getting a high mark. The second one will be easier cause you start learning from your mistake and know what works for your group. So it try and see what works for you. Some might just split each person one question, but that is at risk that one person doesn't know their stuff and pull down the group mark. Everyone gets the same mark. If you work together, it might get in to too much opinion, not rmbing all the details sometimes and hard to coordinate and finish all 5 questions in less than 50 minutes only. Rmb main key points, lists and examples for these assignment questions.

Tests: 100 MC questions for each test. That's alot, and tiring i know! By the time i was done doing 70 questions i was getting a bit tired and exhausted. So rmb to be awake, or else you will be very unmotivated to go and start double checking. You really need to know your stuff to do well. There isn't alot of time to go through the questoins and double check anyways, so you can't think alot during each question. Study the notes along with the textbooks. Some of the questions were details from the textbook, so rmb tho read read and read. Its also application questions as well , so its more than knowing the knowledge. Thank god its not cumulative on th chapters.

I had Dr. McAteer. she was a great lecturer, learned alot from her. She was helpful in the class, provided lots of information. She explains alot in class and gives alot of examples. Its important to rmb not to overlook the textbook material. She goes through the concepts quickly in class, so she just skims it. Read the textbook. she always gave hints on what was on the assignments and tests. so that was really nice!

COURSE BREAKDOWN
  • Group in class assignments (10% x 3) = 30%
  • Midterm Exam - 35%
  • Exam - 35%

dhillon11, McIntyre, tangs24 all say thanks to Eva C for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Com 2ba3!

Old 04-24-2011 at 08:50 PM   #2
tanweerrohil

Liked: 0 Times
Thanks, what textbook would we need
Old 01-02-2012 at 11:11 PM   #3
Doodly

Liked: 1 Time
Hey, is it important to go to the classes for this course? McAteer will be teaching it this semester. Obviously you need to go on days with assignments but otherwise is it necessary or are the online lecture notes and text book sufficient? Thx
Old 02-11-2012 at 03:54 PM   #4
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times
Feb 2012 - For what it's worth, I'm currently enrolled in this class with Dr. McAteer and the structure and content of this review are still relevant.
Personally, I think it is necessary to attend the lectures in this class as the professor sometimes says "the book says this, but I believe... " or "I totally agree with the text in this case." I discovered this in studying for the first in-class assignment, some of the titles of sections in the book are different than in the slides and despite attending class, it took me a little while to figure things out.

Old 01-04-2013 at 07:25 PM   #5
airmind1

Do we get to choose our groups?
Old 01-07-2013 at 09:56 PM   #6
jackiemac

Liked: 71 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmind1 View Post
Do we get to choose our groups?
Yes. /12char
Old 04-22-2013 at 02:28 AM   #7
KittyChan

Hello, I'm taking this course in summer school spring 2013 and was wondering what textbook will be used in the course? I can't seem to find the course outline online. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013 at 09:04 PM   #8
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times
How do you do assignments in class if they are all lectures and there are no tutorials?
Old 08-17-2014 at 08:40 PM   #9
areej23

hey i had a quick question. this course just became available for 1st year & i took this as an elective to see whether i might like this field of commerce or not. would i need any prior knowledge of commerce or anything else in order to be successful in this course?
Old 06-09-2015 at 09:32 AM   #10
bae_

Liked: 4 Times
Hi could i get an updated feedback on this course? its with teal mcateer
Old 06-09-2015 at 10:19 AM   #11
kobe_mamba

Liked: 1 Time
the course has not changed from this review. I took it two years ago and the course outline is exactly the same thing. As OP mentioned, it is important to find smart group members. there is not enough time to go through the assignment questions together. Each members of the group will do their own question and you have to count on them to know their stuff. Also, the Midterm and Final are not difficult, as long as you have read the materials and understand them well, you should be fine.

bae_ says thanks to kobe_mamba for this post.
Old 07-10-2015 at 09:36 PM   #12
bae_

Liked: 4 Times
Is this course a lot of work? And is it an easy 12?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search