MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Communication Studies Advice?! AZTF First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-06-2010 11:33 AM
LABOUR STUDIES 1A03 or COMMUNICATION STUDIES? lizziemcg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 08-28-2009 05:43 PM
Grad Program for Communication Studies/Multimedia AdamF Academics 2 08-07-2007 11:56 PM

Communication Studies & Multimedia

Old 01-05-2009 at 09:50 PM   #1
NRoshanth

Liked: 0 Times

Communication Studies & Multimedia
Hey,

I'm First year and I'm going into Communication Studies and Multimedia. I was just wondering if u have to have the 30 units from first year to go to second year program. Because I'm thinking of dropping One class where i will loose 3 Units. What will happen. Please let me Know. Thx u
Old 01-05-2009 at 09:57 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

As far as I know you do need to have 30 Units to get into a Level II Humanities program, which is what Communication Studies and Multimedia would be. Plus the pre-requisites for those 2 majors.

From the Communication Studies & Multimedia Website:

Program Options

Though Communication Studies & Multimedia are joined as a Department in the Faculty of Humanities, students do not have to study both fields. While it is a popular option to combine the two programs to complete an Honours Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies & Multimedia, many student choose to focus on Communication Studies or combine it with another program in the Faculty of Humanities.

Students entering the Faculty of Humanities take a general Level I program. They apply for entrance to a specific B.A. or Honours program at the end of their first year and must meet the requirements for that program. Eligibility for degree programs is governed by the student's choice of courses and academic performance in Level I. The general requirements for Humanities programs are:
  • Completion of any Level I program with the necessary Cumulative Average (at least 6.0 for Honours programs, 3.5 for a B.A.).
  • Completion of at least 6 units of Level I courses in the program subject (or 6 units in each of the two subjects for Combined Honours) with the necessary minimum grades (7.0 for Honours programs, 4.0 for a B.A.). Some programs (such as Art) may have additional course requirements.
Note that Multimedia is a limited enrolment program. Entrance is competitive and is based on academic achievement, so the stated minimum requirements may not be sufficient to guarantee admission to the program.

Last edited by sew12 : 01-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.

NRoshanth says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-06-2009 at 06:16 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I would contact someone from the program offices, as they can give you a better idea. Since MM is a limited enrollment program, dropping a course could hinder your being accepted.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

NRoshanth says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 01-06-2009 at 08:43 PM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

You need to follow the requirements outlined in the Undergraduate Calendar. It states that you'll need the full 30 units from first year.
Old 01-07-2009 at 09:07 PM   #5
jac_909

admission question
ok, i'm in the midst of applying for university using OUAC.com, i'm considering both the communications program and the theatre and film studies program here at mac...but ouac won't let me apply for more than one humanities program, does this make sense?

in the first year is it more just general arts courses and then you pick your major in second year? SHould i just apply for one of the two programs (ie. communication) and then switch it to theatre if i want ,once i get in... hmm haha so many questions..i would appreciate some answers

thanks so much!
Old 01-08-2009 at 12:40 AM   #6
TTHX

Liked: 62 Times

What do you do if you're lacking 3 credits? Is it possible to just overload for 2nd year and still be accepted? Or do you have to take a course in summer?
Old 01-08-2009 at 01:35 PM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_909 View Post
ok, i'm in the midst of applying for university using OUAC.com, i'm considering both the communications program and the theatre and film studies program here at mac...but ouac won't let me apply for more than one humanities program, does this make sense?

in the first year is it more just general arts courses and then you pick your major in second year? SHould i just apply for one of the two programs (ie. communication) and then switch it to theatre if i want ,once i get in... hmm haha so many questions..i would appreciate some answers

thanks so much!
You are correct, in Humanities first year is lots of general courses you can choose from and you take the required pre-requisites for what you may want to major in. Then for second year you choose a couple of different majors, get accepted into the ones you've met the requirements for and choose from there. So if you're deciding between Comm and Theatre and Film when you select your courses you'd take the first year Communications course CMST 1A03 as well as the require Theatre and Film courses for first year 1A03 and AB03. Then you'd take other level 1 Humanities courses and maybe if you like some of them you might change your mind and decide to major in something else.

I applied here for History but when I got here I changed my mind about majoring in it and decided I wanted to get into the Multimedia program.

You could also consider doing a double major in both Communication Studies and Theatre and Film if that is one of the offerred double majors and you'd really like to do both.

Chad, jac_909 all say thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-11-2009 at 03:26 AM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_909 View Post

thanks so much!
Yup, you just apply to general Humanities at Mac. You take a variety of courses in your first year (you'd take CMST 1A03, Thtr&Flm 1A and 1B, and then a whole bunch of other courses in Humanities). Then second year you can decide to major just in CMST, or double major in both CMST and THTR&FLM.

jac_909 says thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 01-11-2009 at 10:15 AM   #9
jac_909

ah i see, thnx a bunch!
Old 01-12-2009 at 02:59 AM   #10
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

No problem!