MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Python Challenge drhorrible Computers & Tech 5 09-29-2010 09:49 PM
AGFA Healthcare Innovation Challenge Fredder Financial Aid 0 09-04-2010 09:38 PM
Participate In The 2010 Agfa Healthcare Innovation Challenge! dd1991 Financial Aid 0 08-30-2010 08:47 PM
Silhouette Stock Challenge! $500 in Prizes!! jeffgreen MacInsiders Announcements 0 01-26-2010 04:47 PM

Commuter Challenge

McMaster Commuter Challenge

By DANIELLE LORENZ, COMPASS INTERNAL COORDINATOR

From June 1-7th, the ACT Office (All-modes Commuting and Transport) on Campus is issuing a challenge to all students and staff at McMaster. Commute using ride-share, cycling, walking or public transit and your department can win prizes. Participate and you can win stuff too!

Some reasons to participate include cleaner air, helping to reduce climate change, increasing physical fitness, friendly competition, great prizes, and free food.

All you need to do is fill out a pledge form at Compass or the ACT Office (located in 1117 of Michael Degroote Centre for Learning [MDCL]). After handing in the form, you will receive an orange bracelet, Hamilton Commuter Challenge bracelet which is your opportunity to access activities put on by the City of Hamilton and the ACT Office.

So what can this bracelet do for you?

The first event is a free pancake breakfast from 7:30AM until 10AM on Friday May 30th in MUSC (McMaster University Student Centre). Dr. Peter Peter George, McMaster President and Azim Kasmani MSU President will be there, and so will some other McMaster celebrities. In order to get the pancakes you must have an orange bracelet. If you haven't signed up for the challenge yet you can do so here. On Wednesday June 4th you can take the HSR for free all day provided you wear your Hamilton Commuter Challenge bracelet. If you ride a bike, it is entitled to free repairs courtesy of MACycle CO-OP, June 2-6 from 11AM-3PM.

Even if you do not have a bracelet, you can come and check out some of the events. As part of the kickoff to the Commuter Challenge next week, there is an Active Transportation Fair in MUSC with information booths and vendors from 10AM-2PM on Friday May 30th. The HSR will also have a bus with a bike rack, so you can try loading you bike on to it, without being gawked at by a busload of people. Wednesday May 4th is Clean Air Day Celebration at the Commuter Challenge tent outside of MUSC, where free newspapers and refreshments will be given away. And lastly is the Tally Finale at the Commuter Challenge tent outside of MUSC, which lasts from 11AM-3PM, and will name the winner of the grand prize, as well as some secondary prizes.

The grand prize is a two-way business class roundtrip for two from VIA Rail anywhere in the Windsor-Quebec City corridor. Additional prizes from Marriot, Staybridge Suites, Sheridan Hamilton, Pieriks Cycle, HSR and Runner’s Den will be given away as well.

For more information, please go to http://ACT.mcmaster.ca, or go visit one of the lovely ladies from Compass. The Daily News also posted an article about it, which you can read here.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-28-2008 at 08:12 AM   #2
Adam O
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Fourth

Liked: 0 Times
So how do you win prizes? Does it have anything to do with the distance you travel every day to campus? Is there some sort of point system? Or do I just ride my bike to work as usual. Eat some free pancakes. And maybe win some prizes?
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-28-2008 at 08:36 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
I think if you participate in the challenge you are elligible to win prizes (ie your name goes into the draw).

And if your whole department participates the department will go into a draw against other departments and win a free lunch.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-28-2008 at 01:21 PM   #4
ferreinm
Elite Member
Program: Philosophy
Residence: WHIDDEN HALL

Liked: 120 Times
And you get to ride the bus for free on June 4th!!! =)

Old 05-28-2008 at 04:57 PM   #5
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
Pancakes with Petey!?! This will be the greatest morning of my LIFE!
Old 05-28-2008 at 06:04 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies

With Santa, you mean.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-29-2008 at 08:05 AM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

I love Santa!

But I'm so down for breakfast with Peter George, Peter George
Old 05-29-2008 at 03:01 PM   #8
Adam O

Pancakes tomorrow!! I wonder if they will have blue berries in them?
Old 05-29-2008 at 03:02 PM   #9
ferreinm
Elite Member

Ohhh!! I wonder if they'll have a variety of kinds like chocolate chip!
Old 05-29-2008 at 03:26 PM   #10
Adam O

we pride ourselves in being an inclusive university right?? I think it would be unacceptable if we didn't!
Old 05-29-2008 at 04:05 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Remember fruit and chocolate cost money. And this is free to everyone.

So...I don't think so! Maybe as a topping? Like the Commons waffles...mmm...expen sive waffles.

Old 05-29-2008 at 04:22 PM   #12
ferreinm
Elite Member

We all know Peter George is rich though so he should be able to afford fruits and chocolate chips for my free pancakes
Old 05-29-2008 at 04:39 PM   #13
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Origins Research Specialization
Year: Other

Liked: 352 Times
I'm bringing bananas for mine.. no jokes.
Old 05-29-2008 at 06:18 PM   #14
ferreinm
Elite Member

I'm gonna be there at 8:45 I'm going with co-workers so Temara/Danielle/anyone else be there
Old 05-30-2008 at 08:03 AM   #15
ferreinm
Elite Member

MMM good pancakees and orange juice!

Yay to free mugs!

Article Tools