mech eng 4T03 zali1234 Academics 0 08-31-2011 10:43 AM
Mech Eng conflict - required courses. Kurt_ Academics 3 08-09-2010 08:08 PM
Comp Sci/Comp Eng/Soft Eng stevennevets Academics 9 10-19-2009 08:54 PM

comp enineering VS mech

Old 05-25-2012 at 12:51 AM   #1
Kevinabrahak

Liked: 8 Times

comp enineering VS mech
Hey, i am a second year student at MAC and currently registered for computer engineering. However, i was greatly looking forward to getting into Mechanical Engineering ( not so important !!)

I was just wondering, for all those computer engineers out there, is computer Eng all about programming or at least for the most part ?? the weird thing is that im not really good with programming but I do know quite a bit of it . Could someone help me out understand the real deal about computer engineering as opposed to software engineering.

I am having second thoughts about talking with the engineering staff about switching fields to Mechanical if I could. In terms of job prospects, what's recommended. Would really appreciate it.

thanks
Old 05-25-2012 at 08:01 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Not at all.

You can take a look at the undergraduate calender - it is basically like electrical engineering... meaning you will be taking majority of electrical courses and only a handful of pure programming courses (3 if i remember correctly.. 2sh4, 2si4, 3k04...)
Old 05-25-2012 at 11:40 AM   #3
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Software engineering is more about how to write good programs as opposed to just programming. There is a lot of focus on theory and mathematics behind writing precise programs, and not a lot of actual programming work to be honest, lol.

Computer engineering has more programming, since as you might imagine, their labs involve a lot of computers. As far as I know, there is a lot of work with programming hardware in that stream. Both programs at some point involve Verilog (a hardware description language... kind of like programming, but you also write the computer lol), but computer engineering uses it a lot more.

Honestly, if I were you I would just become better at programming than trying to avoid it. Pick up a book on algorithms and read it when you have time. Almost every stream requires programming to some degree, and knowing how to do it well will definitely make your life easier.

As for job prospects at the moment, I believe software engineering has the most positions available (since it can be applied to so many things), which is what a lot of engineering graduates regardless of their stream seem to end up doing.

I don't think mechanical is doing too badly either, but you might end up living in the middle of nowhere to get a job.

Oh, and PS - in electrical/computer engineering, your grades are likely to suffer more so than anyone else in any other stream, lol.
Old 05-25-2012 at 11:50 AM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Software engineering is more about how to write good programs as opposed to just programming. There is a lot of focus on theory and mathematics behind writing precise programs, and not a lot of actual programming work to be honest, lol.

Computer engineering has more programming, since as you might imagine, their labs involve a lot of computers. As far as I know, there is a lot of work with programming hardware in that stream. Both programs at some point involve Verilog (a hardware description language... kind of like programming, but you also write the computer lol), but computer engineering uses it a lot more.

Honestly, if I were you I would just become better at programming than trying to avoid it. Pick up a book on algorithms and read it when you have time. Almost every stream requires programming to some degree, and knowing how to do it well will definitely make your life easier.

As for job prospects at the moment, I believe software engineering has the most positions available (since it can be applied to so many things), which is what a lot of engineering graduates regardless of their stream seem to end up doing.

I don't think mechanical is doing too badly either, but you might end up living in the middle of nowhere to get a job.

Oh, and PS - in electrical/computer engineering, your grades are likely to suffer more so than anyone else in any other stream, lol.

I was in computer engineering for 1st, 2nd, and half of 3rd year - the reason I switched out was because I didnt like a mandatory verilog course for computer engineers.

Most people believe that comp engineers do alot of programming, but its actually not true, barely any courses require programming... however matlab (scripting) is used in alot of courses for both comp AND elec engineers

Kevinabrahak likes this.
Old 05-25-2012 at 11:58 AM   #5
Kevinabrahak

So am I to assume that computer engineering would involve a lot more programming than software engineering that merely is built on programming for the most part.

I did do a lot of research on the two mentioned engineering fields, however, there were a lot of opinions suggesting why and why not to take the following two. I'm truly confused. But I think , your right, I just have to improve on my programming skills. Cant really complain at this point of time. I am in the programm already. No turning back !!

And thanks blackdragon, to know that its only a handful of pure programming courses ( atleast for 2nd year).
Another concern of mine was if I happen to switch to Mechanical, that would have a lot of physics !!
Interms of job prospect, I truly do think that there are a lot of jobs be offered lately for Mechanical Eng as opposed to Computer Eng which I am a little disappointed of.
Old 05-25-2012 at 12:05 PM   #6
Kevinabrahak

so what exactly is the ' verilog course' ? Is it something that I would be looking into in the 2nd year for computer engineering.
Did you switch out because the course was annoying or just not worth it ?
Old 05-25-2012 at 12:19 PM   #7
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I was in computer engineering for 1st, 2nd, and half of 3rd year - the reason I switched out was because I didnt like a mandatory verilog course for computer engineers.
You didn't like writing an image decompressor? lol

Quote:
Most people believe that comp engineers do alot of programming, but its actually not true, barely any courses require programming... however matlab (scripting) is used in alot of courses for both comp AND elec engineers
Looks like the upper-year computer engineers I talked to in first year lied to me then, lol. I guess they were just using 'programming' as an umbrella term for all that. A lot of similar principles I suppose.
Old 05-25-2012 at 02:10 PM   #8
blackdragon
Elite Member

The course is 3DQ5...

After my work term this year, I *might* take it again now since I see the relevancy of it in the industry, but for the most part - it was a pretty dry course if you arnt into hardware programming (make LED lights blink, display characters on a LCD screen, etc.)
Old 05-25-2012 at 04:39 PM   #9
Kevinabrahak

As far as I know, Mechanical Engineering is all about physics, dynamics, thermo", kinematics.....etc. I think ive decided, im just gonna continue with computer engineering and not try to think too much about the programming aspect. Ill deal with it when it comes.

As far as jobs are concerned, im still not completely satisfied with computer Eng job opportunities. Mechanical definitely scores a point there.

However, i quickly took out some time to consult with my academic counsellor. going through the various 3rd and 4th year courses, computer engineering seems to excite me. Mechanical not soo much.
Any additional suggestions, opinions ????
Old 05-25-2012 at 06:04 PM   #10
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinabrahak View Post
Any additional suggestions, opinions ????
Go for what you like and not for the discipline that makes more money/has more jobs. If you study something you don't really like, you are not gonna be motivated to work hard in it. On the other hand, if you study something you enjoy, you will always be motivated to work hard because you really want to learn more about it. As a result, you will do good in that program and be very creative in it.
All I am trying to say is, if you study something you enjoy, you will always be motivated to work hard,get good grades, and hopefully find a job in the future.
Just go with what you like
Old 05-25-2012 at 06:32 PM   #11
blackdragon
Elite Member

Computer engineering has tons of jobs - not as many as electrical, but still tons. You shouldnt have any issues getting a internship after 3rd year at all
Old 05-25-2012 at 08:51 PM   #12
Kevinabrahak

thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Im definitely going to look over it more seriously not just from a job
perspective but what I really want to do.

The issue was that both the fields have things that i like and dislike.
Programming for the most part was my only major concern about computer
engineering which is now partly clarified,
however, success doesn't come easy !!!