MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best undergrad degrees by pay lorend Academics 40 09-10-2009 06:36 PM
Becoming a TA (as an undergrad) pk00 General Discussion 3 05-17-2009 01:05 AM
mcmaster undergrad email mcmaster12 General Discussion 1 05-15-2009 08:46 PM
Summer Undergrad Research MrFryingFish Academics 4 04-24-2009 08:33 AM
finding someone through undergrad email sarahsc General Discussion 8 08-23-2008 03:50 PM

Completing Undergrad early

Old 07-01-2010 at 04:41 PM   #1
oli13

Liked: 2 Times

Completing Undergrad early
I was wondering if it is possible to complete one's undergraduate studies an year early. So, three years instead of four. How would that work? Thanks!
Old 07-01-2010 at 04:51 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Headstart and summer school, as well as no co-op. I suppose it could be done, but why would you?
Old 07-01-2010 at 05:12 PM   #3
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli13 View Post
I was wondering if it is possible to complete one's undergraduate studies an year early. So, three years instead of four. How would that work? Thanks!
Actually it is possible, even via a "normal" route. For sure I know that Humanities, Social Sciences, and Science allows you to graduate within three years; I'm not sure about other faculties...probably can't with Engineering, and you could with Health Science if you get into med school after third year. The tradeoff, at least with Humanities/SocSci/Science, is that you would get a plain B.A. or B.Sc. without an honours attached to it.

I'm uncertain about whether you can do an honours degree in three years, but I'm guessing it's not possible, not necessarily because you can't complete that many requirements in three years but maybe because of university regulations. You could ask your faculty to be sure though.

I also agree with rcrw88 though; it's not really worth crunching in four years worth into three years, but to each his/her own I guess.
Old 07-01-2010 at 06:46 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Logically you'd have to take a full summer school load every summer and overload at least 2 semesters during the normal school year. You'd also need to be going for a rather flexible degree to make sure you always have something to take during the summer and to make sure you can do the pre-reqs for your 3rd and 4th year courses.
Old 07-01-2010 at 07:51 PM   #5
oli13

Liked: 2 Times

So it would be a complete overload judging from the opinions presented. Thanks Though!