MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does mastering chem for chem 1A03 have a time limit on assignments? Thanks lalalola2011 Academics 4 09-23-2012 12:08 AM
Have: Bio1A03 L22// Want:Bio 1A03 L17, 19, 21, or 23. Have: Chem 1A03 L26// Want: L25 HanPark9205 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-14-2011 07:59 PM
anyone take chem 1a03 and chem 1aa3 during the summer? macbaby07 Academics 0 05-03-2010 05:47 PM

Could I overload with Chem 1A03?

Old 06-18-2013 at 07:11 PM   #1
mirandab17

Liked: 0 Times

Could I overload with Chem 1A03?
Hey guys!
So I was virtually unaware of the requirement of Chem 1A03 until now lol. SO this leaves me in the position where I am really considering overloading in first semester by adding Chem 1A03 to my schedule. FIRST, has anyone been able to bypass this and just take 1AA3? Secondly, if I just have Chem 12 background, how much work on average did people have to put into this course?
I'm enrolled in Arts Sci, so my schedule looks like:

FIRST SEMESTER
Modern West Thought - philosophy/history course (usually minimal work until papers come around)
Physics - I hear it to be pretty rigorous
Economics - not sure, probably some intense readings and essays
Animal Behavior and Evolution - read it has a great prof, but time consuming
Neuroanatomy and Physiology - obviously difficult
Chem 1A03

Thoughts? I'm also an editor for the Mac newspaper, so it may be difficult... I wish I could just bypass Chem 1A03.
Old 06-18-2013 at 07:53 PM   #2
jshen

I found CHEM 1A03 to be mostly a review of high school chemistry so it shouldn't be too bad!
Old 06-18-2013 at 09:23 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

you can overload but if you dont need to then dont do it. why do you need the econ course? are you minoring or something. i would drop econ and just take chem if chem is something you need.
Old 06-18-2013 at 10:37 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Lol you're not going to be able to bypass 1A03 and just take 1AA3 if your only background is in grade 12 chemistry, and it really wouldn't be smart to try and do so.
I'd also recommend against overloading in your first term of university, and I'm not even sure it's allowed since permission to overload is based on your CA...I think you should drop econ; you can always take it at a later date.
Old 06-19-2013 at 08:23 AM   #5
Xenos

Liked: 3 Times

Is this for a combined honours?

If not, you don't need Chem 1A03 for regular Artsci, but you do need 6 units of any of the following: Bio 1A03/1M03, Chem 1A03/1AA3, Envirosci 1A03/1B03/1G03, Psych 1XX3.

If you're up for the extra work/stress/tests, you can opt to overload. I wouldn't consider Chem 1A03 to be a super-work-intensive course if you have a good background from high school chem. But I wouldn't do a two-term overload.
Old 06-19-2013 at 03:52 PM   #6
mirandab17

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Economics cannot be dropped altogether as it's a requirement to graduate in my program. And I wouldn't mind taking it - I just don't think I want to this year because I want to take the two chems (I've decided, yeah, no way I can just skip the 1A03).

Xenos, it's for a combined honours with psychology, yes. Chem 1A03 will enable me to take Chem 1AA3 which will let me take Bio 2B03... it's all interconnected so I can take Neuroimmunology in 4th year which sounds like the coolest thing ever.

I'm not really up for the stress of overloading. My director said I could defer it but said I would have to risk the possibility of courses overlapping next year (but then she went on to say they could work something out). I don't want to do summer school really... but it may be my only option.