MacInsiders Logo
Old 07-01-2009 at 04:31 PM   #1
Thom14

Liked: 0 Times

Course Confliction
So I'm interested in taking PHILOS 1B03 but it is at the same time as mySOC WORK 1A06. Is there anything I can do about it? they aren't offered at different times and I would really like to take the philos course. Is there anything else I should chose as my elective instead?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2009 at 04:56 PM   #2
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

If you register for both courses and they are at the same time and you dont change it, you risk having exams scheduled at the same time and you can't do anything about that. Maybe you can take another philosophy course instead?
Old 07-01-2009 at 05:31 PM   #3
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

^^Exam scheduling is done completely independent of the course timetable.

Case in point: There are like 4 sections of first year calculus, Math 1A03. The take place on different days and at different times...and yet they all write at the same time. If every course was an 'equivalence relation' you could probably weasel some way through the course timetable connecting every course, and by this reasoning you'd all write at the same time.

I've taken overlapping courses 4 seperate times and have never had an exam conflict...You don't run the risk of overlapping exams any more than you did with any 2 other courses that don't conflict.

And even if two exams do conflict, you can declare an exam conflict and work out the details with your professor (Let us know if you have one when the schedules are released in November, and we can help you with the paperwork). You may be allowed to write immediately before or immediately following the exam...or if that does not fix the solution for whatever reason, a new exam will be written for you, which you will write a month or two after exams end (ie. during reading week (March) or sometime in June).

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-01-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2009 at 06:56 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Even if you can declare an exam conflict, you're putting your grade at risk anyways. I know people say you can skip class and not care about it so much, but it does matter to some people, and sometimes it's what makes the difference in someone's grade.

So Tom, you have to think about which class you'll let fall by the wayside and do your best to self-study for it. Good luck. :]
Old 07-01-2009 at 08:20 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

I think exam conflicts putting your grade at risk is simply a matter of opinion. There were times I desperately could have used an 'exam conflict' excuse to postpone one of my exams, when nothing in my control was to blame.

Calculus at 12:30, Biology and 4:00, and Sociology the following afternoon at 12:30....I'd rather write say, biology a month later. My grades would have suffered less than if I didn't have a conflict at all. Needless to say, those three courses, being so vastly different, fried my brain being written in such quick succession. I did very poorly on Sociology since I couldn't bring myself to give 110% on the essay.

(And that this occured when I had NO course conflicts)

---------------------

As for missing class, yes that may jeopardize your mark. It may or may not be possible to learn the material on your own depending on what kind of learner you are...

But that's not what my post was about anyway :p I was merely posting a rebuttal to caroline54's post.
Old 07-01-2009 at 08:34 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
---------------------

As for missing class, yes that may jeopardize your mark. It may or may not be possible to learn the material on your own depending on what kind of learner you are...

But that's not what my post was about anyway :p I was merely posting a rebuttal to caroline54's post.
Haha, I know. I was just saying how even though the exam thing would be fine, you still have to make some sort of decision as to which class you'll put more effort in or try to balance them.
Old 07-05-2009 at 02:25 PM   #7
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Poor Thom. No one has actually answered your question.

Yes, you can take them both. And if they schedule the exams at the same time, I'm sure if you argue enough or fill out the right forms, that will be changed. That's not the major issue. Come second semester, you will not be able to attend both courses. If you feel comfortable doing so, work out out of the textbook or a friend's class notes and take both. If you don't, save the philosophy for second year or onward as an easy elective. There is a lot of time within 4 years to do the elective you want to do!

If you're desperate to take philosophy, you have the option of philos 1E03, which takes place in the second term. The others are all in first term.
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:02 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
Poor Thom. No one has actually answered your question.
o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
I've taken overlapping courses 4 seperate times and have never had an exam conflict...
I'm not meaning to get annoyed or anything...but that's quite clearly a shot at all of us (I mean think about it...what insight does it provide besides "You're all stupid" ?). To do something like that you better have something 'new and innovative' to say.

We've addressed 2/3rds of Thom's question, which makes up about 90% of your post. Infact, the only thing you've said that cannot be deduced from a previous post, is in regards to Philosophy courses...the rest is just regurgitation.

Now I can't speak for anyone else, but I have no experience with Philosophy and so will not give misinformation. But your post can pretty much be cut down to the very last sentence (and a half) at no cost to Thom. It certainly does not mean 'no one has answered his question.'

No of course not, we're here posting on this forum for our enjoyment.

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-05-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:21 PM   #9
mellye
Elite Member

Sorry! I didn't mean that in a bad way. And to be honest, I completely misread everything everyone wrote and applied to to exam conflicts opposed to the actual situation. So, in other words, I'm the idiot. Though, I definitely didn't mean to imply it!
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:31 PM   #10
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

you should feel bad about yourself
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:33 PM   #11
mellye
Elite Member

mmhmm. whatever, firedragoon.
Old 07-05-2009 at 04:39 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
you should feel bad about yourself
At least she was trying to help, I don't see how your post was of any help.. to anyone..?

mellye says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.