MacInsiders Logo

Course identification

Old 07-02-2009 at 08:52 PM   #1
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times

Course identification
I just need some quick help. Anyone who knows the mac courses well, please tell me what mac course(s) fits this description (taken from uoft dentistry)
  • One full year course (or two half year courses) in general biochemistry. This course should cover protein chemistry and the chemistry of other biomolecules, cellular metabolism and molecular biology.
  • One full year course (or two half year courses) in general mammalian (human or animal) physiology. This course should cover the following systems: musculoskeletal system; haemostasis mechanisms; haematopoietic system; nervous system; immune system; cardiovascular system; renal physiology; neurophysiology; endocrinology and gastrointestinal physiology.
And also, what does uoft mean by full year course? 4 months? 8 months? 2 months?
It would be great if someone could link me the course descriptions so that I can see the prerequisites for them.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:00 PM   #2
R.L.

Liked: 3 Times

Hey,

To satisfy the animal physiology requirements you need to take 3U03 and 3UU3. I would suggest taking the kin 1A03 and 1AA3 this year or sometime before third year as they are one of the prerequisites. (note, this is according to western dental school, but I am assuming it is the same )
As for biochemistry, I am not sure; I would suggest emailing the faculty.

This link shows you all of the biology courses and their prerequisites (i.e. course calendar):
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...757.html#14918

A half-term course at Mac means 3 units. So anycourse ending with a "3" is a half-term course. A full term course would end with a "6". However, for example chemistry 1A03 and 1AA3, are two 1/2 term courses which add up to a "full year" course.
Hope that helped!
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:01 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan View Post
I just need some quick help. Anyone who knows the mac courses well, please tell me what mac course(s) fits this description (taken from uoft dentistry)
  • One full year course (or two half year courses) in general biochemistry. This course should cover protein chemistry and the chemistry of other biomolecules, cellular metabolism and molecular biology.
  • One full year course (or two half year courses) in general mammalian (human or animal) physiology. This course should cover the following systems: musculoskeletal system; haemostasis mechanisms; haematopoietic system; nervous system; immune system; cardiovascular system; renal physiology; neurophysiology; endocrinology and gastrointestinal physiology.
And also, what does uoft mean by full year course? 4 months? 8 months? 2 months?
It would be great if someone could link me the course descriptions so that I can see the prerequisites for them.

Thanks.
A full year course is 8 months. Basically fall/winter.

As for the courses, you can't really other biochems than 2EE3 and 3G03 unless you are in biochem, molecular bio and genetics and something else. You can try and ask for permission from the biochem department though.

As for physiology, Kin 1Y03, 1YY3 is a couple. There are also a few in the biology department like Bio 2A03, 3U03, 3UU3.

You'll have to contact the admissions of UofT dentistry in order to confirm course eligibility though.
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:02 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.L. View Post
Hey,

To satisfy the animal physiology requirements you need to take 3U03 and 3UU3. I would suggest taking the kin 1A03 and 1AA3 this year or sometime before third year as they are one of the prerequisites.
Bio 2A03 is the other prerequisite incase you haven't taken Kin.
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:04 PM   #5
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

1. For the biochem requirements, your best bets are to take Biochem 2EE3 (or now Life Sci 2EE3, I believe) and/or Biochem 3G03 (which requires Chem 2OA3 and 2OB3).
Links:
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1988.html
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1756.html

2. For physiology, take Bio 2A03 (or Life Sci 2A03) and maybe Bio 3F03
Link: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1757.html

A full year course is 8 months, since that is a full university school year. So a half-year course would be 4 months.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:17 PM   #6
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Shulich's dentistry program wanted Bio 3UU3 and 3U03 for an anatomy course.

For the biochems, 3G03 and 2EE3.