MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bio 3UU3 2009-2010 Review Taeyang 3rd Year Course Reviews 5 12-24-2013 03:11 PM
The 2009/2010 Master Timetable... Chad MacInsiders Announcements 40 08-08-2009 06:18 PM
The MSU BOD 2009/2010! kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-07-2009 09:28 AM

Courses For 2009-2010

Old 05-26-2009 at 01:09 PM   #1
mnk1988

Liked: 0 Times

Courses For 2009-2010
Hey All,
As you know that registration is going to start for 2009-2010 mid june and I need electives which are easy/interesting. I would appreciate it if anyone could just tell me about courses which they have done well in over the course of their uni career (with the name of the prof please)

Here are some of mine and I would recommend them (as of year 2009):

Music 2F03 (also a theater and film course): Taught by Dr. Mitchell. As long as you go to the lectures, make good notes and watch the movies (which are quite entertaining) you can easily get an A.

Anthro 2vv3: with Dr. Finstein. Although I have read bad reviews about her, this course is easy. Go to class, make sure you take down all her powerpoint slides. Then just study whatever is on her study guide which she will post up before the test and you will! do well.

Geo 2gg3: Dr. Riller, many people say that the course is harder than what is used ot be. My year was the first one where everyone started saying naturals was getting "harder" but I still manage to do well by readign the textbook. i didn't bother with his notes but read the book and did well. MOthers may nto agree though.

Science 2B03/origins 2B03: Dr. Parker/Dr. Chen/ Dr.Waddington. This course is quite a bit of work but the topics are quite interesting.

Religious Studies 2I03: Dr. Clarke. You had to write papers in this course and there was a final essay..no exam!! but the TAs were a great help. If you go to them for help in writing the papers then you will do well because they will be th eones marking it. The second test for this course was a bit brutal but then there was an alternative marking scheme which put more emphasis on the essay if you did well.

I would appreciate you feedback on courses and how they went..even thought there are threads for easy electives. I was hoping this one would have more recent/updates review..i.e from 2007/2008 and 2008/2009 )but they don't have to be)
Hope this helped some ppl in choosing electives for next year.

bellaaa, sinthusized all say thanks to mnk1988 for this post.
Old 05-26-2009 at 02:01 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

1. Look at courses Commerce students take.
2. Look at Health Sci courses
3. Take them.
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Pretty much a guaranteed 10 in every one of those courses.
Old 05-26-2009 at 02:15 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Indigenous Studies courses! If you have elective space left for the first year courses take 1A03 and/or 1AA3; there are some basics that help you in the upper-year courses. I have taken:
  • 2B03 Indigenous Sovereignty with King in 2008-2009
  • 2C03 Indigenous Resistance with Monture in 2008-2009
  • 2D03 Traditional Ecological Knowledge with King in 2008-2009
  • 3W03 Native American Lit (also cross-listed with English, Peace Studies & CSCT) with Monture in 2007-2008
  • 3X03 Native Canadian Lit (also cross-listed with English, Peace Studies & CSCT) with Monture in 2008-2009
King's background is in PoliSci, so he teaches his courses like other PoliSci classes, while Monture's background is in English.

I didn't take 1A03 or 1AA3, but did well in all of them. I did notice though that some students have found the concepts much more challenging than I did, even though they took the intro courses. This may be due in part to my background in Anthro and Cultural Studies.

I also suggest Anthro 2G03: Indo-European Myth with Colarrusso. I took it in the summer of 2006, but the course hasn't changed from what I've heard from others.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-26-2009 at 02:25 PM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
3. Take them.
4. ?????
5. Profit!

I fully endorse this strategy.
Old 05-26-2009 at 02:44 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Linguistics 1A03 & 1AA3 taught by Dr. Moro and Dr. Stroinska respectively are good classes. They're not easy marks, you do have to work for it - complete weekly assignments and quizzes. Overall though, they are interesting and easy if you're not a slacker. 1A03 was more difficult than 1AA3, and I thought it was more interesting too.

Linguistics is the scientific study of language. 1A03 had the units Phonetics, Phonology, and Morphology while 1AA3 had Syntax, Semantics, Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics, Historical Linguistics, Typology and like one or two lectures on Psycholinguistics.
Old 05-26-2009 at 02:49 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
3. Take them.
4. ?????
5. Profit!

To ALL USERS: We are NOT starting one of those debates again. If any further commentary occurs about how Health Sci/Commerce/Basket weavers have it easier than any other faculty we will be locking this thread.

Thanks,
MacInsiders Exec

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-26-2009 at 07:12 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
3. Take them.
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Umm how exactly do we find out which courses Healthsci/Commerce majors take? Are they the courses from other faculties Cross Referenced with Commerce(I'm assuming Purely Healthsci/Commerce courses are only eligible for people in that faculty). Example being Buisness Ethics which is a 2nd year Philosophy course but is cross referenced with Commerce?

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 05-26-2009 at 07:41 PM   #8
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
Umm how exactly do we find out which courses Healthsci/Commerce majors take? Are they the courses from other faculties Cross Referenced with Commerce(I'm assuming Purely Healthsci/Commerce courses are only eligible for people in that faculty). Example being Buisness Ethics which is a 2nd year Philosophy course but is cross referenced with Commerce?
Business Ethics would be one of the courses that he's talking about. More broadly, he just means to take electives that you find commerce students taking; this usually means economics such as 1B03 Microeconomics, 1BB3 Macroeconomics and other upper year economics classes. I certainly would advise against taking second year required commerce classes, as they are definitely not "bird courses". You also don't have to be in Commerce to take most upper year commerce classes; as long as there is room in them, as far as I know.

I don't have much to say about Health Sci classes, but I'm told they are pretty easy as far as science classes go from my friend who's in Health Sciences. Although I hear that they fill up really fast because a lot of people try to take them for a high mark.

***DISCLAIMER: You might not actually find these to be easier than other electives.***

Old 05-26-2009 at 09:47 PM   #9
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I've only taken one easy course so far... and have probably mentioned it on this site.. but yeah Multimedia 1a03 is really easy has tutorials and involves computers but it's introductory so nothing very fancy. I elaborated on the course in the course reviews if you want to read that. I took the course with laurie shybia

Last edited by sinthusized : 05-26-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2009 at 09:51 PM   #10
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I've only taken one easy course so far... and have probably mentioned it on this site.. but yeah Multimedia 1a03 is really easy has tutorials and involves computers but it's introductory so nothing very fancy. I took the course with laurie shybia
I'm taking that and Economics 1B03 during the next summer term. I'm actually excited because I'm really interested in those two courses. I think I would find Multimedia 1A03 a lot of fun.
Old 05-26-2009 at 10:03 PM   #11
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
I've only taken one easy course so far... and have probably mentioned it on this site.. but yeah Multimedia 1a03 is really easy has tutorials and involves computers but it's introductory so nothing very fancy. I elaborated on the course in the course reviews if you want to read that. I took the course with laurie shybia
Shyba has left as far as I know so the teacher will be someone else. That really doesn't matter though since most people I know really didn't care for Shyba.

Just to elaborate on Multimedia 1A03 it mostly involves learning HTML and using Dreamweaver and coding to put together a simple website. When I took it in first year we had to put an essay about a technology on our website and a large part of the mark was based on the actual written content.

If you don't think you'd be interested in coding I wouldn't recommend the course.

I took it with Stéfan Sinclair but I don't know if he's back yet.

I really don't know who will be teaching it this year but I doubt that really matters, it depends on your TA and how interested you are in learning Dreamweaver and HTML coding.

The exam was pretty easy too if you pay attention and do some readings.
Old 05-26-2009 at 10:24 PM   #12
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

True does depend on TA... my Ta (Josh Willard) was pretty laid back and gave you the marks as long as you met the criteria... my friend had a TA who took off marks if your project looked "ugly" () ... though I don't remember their name.
Old 06-10-2009 at 03:58 PM   #13
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

is there a link where i can see all the possible elective courses for second year, i remember looking at one last year going into first so...

thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2009 at 04:03 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
True does depend on TA... my Ta (Josh Willard) was pretty laid back and gave you the marks as long as you met the criteria... my friend had a TA who took off marks if your project looked "ugly" () ... though I don't remember their name.
heh heh.

Josh was one of my Bates frosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
is there a link where i can see all the possible elective courses for second year, i remember looking at one last year going into first so...

thanks in advance
elective for who?

Old 06-10-2009 at 05:04 PM   #15
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
elective for who?
like, where can i see a list of courses i could take as electives in second year?