MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't we choose the core lectures, labs, and tutorials on solar now? forcajovem First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-12-2012 11:37 PM
do we get to choose how many core and labs we want 737300173 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-24-2011 07:39 PM
Can't choose core/lab/tutorial on SOLAR, details/pictures inside! Help requested. m0ns13ur Academics 3 07-25-2011 11:18 AM
tutorial after core jessica.lau Academics 5 06-26-2011 06:41 PM
core lab tutorial? moskal89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-13-2008 07:55 AM

how do i choose core, lab, tutorial

Old 06-21-2012 at 11:34 AM   #1
twinrainbow

Liked: 0 Times

how do i choose core, lab, tutorial
Do I automatically get labs and tutorials when I sign up for a course? or do I have to wait?
Old 06-21-2012 at 11:35 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrainbow View Post
Do I automatically get labs and tutorials when I sign up for a course? or do I have to wait?
You only pick your courses now and the term you want them in. You pick core, lab and tutorial section after SOLAR puts you in sections and hands you a timetable on Aug 7th. Then on Aug 9th, SOLAR re-opens and you change the sections SOLAR chose for you.

alyssarr, mc_kumar, twinrainbow all say thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

Old 07-08-2012 at 03:57 PM   #3
lalalola2011

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
You only pick your courses now and the term you want them in. You pick core, lab and tutorial section after SOLAR puts you in sections and hands you a timetable on Aug 7th. Then on Aug 9th, SOLAR re-opens and you change the sections SOLAR chose for you.
Wait so on July 9th when SOLAR re-opens we are only allowed to CHANGE COURSES? not choose core,lab,tutorial sections right?
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:03 PM   #4
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalalola2011 View Post
Wait so on July 9th when SOLAR re-opens we are only allowed to CHANGE COURSES? not choose core,lab,tutorial sections right?

ummm no

u can do both. Also i think it re-opens in August

but the main reason for the reopen in August after the TTs are relased, to shuffle ur Core, Lab & Tut sections to ur preference

Last edited by jon.john23 : 07-08-2012 at 04:10 PM.

jim1, lalalola2011 like this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:11 PM   #5
lalalola2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon.john23 View Post
ummm no

u can do both. Also i think it re-opens in August

but the main reason for the reopen in August after the TTs are relased, to shuffle ur Core, Lab & Tut sections to ur preference
Im confused.....If we're choosing our preference of Labs/Tut on july 9th...then it just reopens in August if we have to make changes to what we chose originally?
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:20 PM   #6
jon.john23
Elite Member

i cant seem to get this link running http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /registe...le%20Final. pdf Seems like all of mcmaster's sites are down. But if im not wrong (pls correct me if i am), SOLAR does NOT reopen in July. It reopens on August 9th.

When solar opened in June, u made course selections which lets the system know ur courses and thus gives u a time table in Agust when it reopens. NOTE: The system has already made ur section choices for u.

Now, u may not like the TT, as u said u in ur thread, u want a couple of breaks. So u can shuffle ur sections around to meet ur need in August.
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:24 PM   #7
lalalola2011

Quote:
i cant seem to get this link running http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /registe...le%20Final. pdf Seems like all of mcmaster's sites are down. But if im not wrong (pls correct me if i am), SOLAR does NOT reopen in July. It reopens on August 9th.

When solar opened in June, u made course selections which lets the system know ur courses and thus gives u a time table in Agust when it reopens. NOTE: The system has already made ur section choices for u.

Now, u may not like the TT, as u said u in ur thread, u want a couple of breaks. So u can shuffle ur sections around to meet ur need in August.
On the calendar that i got from the student orientation it says on the 9th of July "SOLAR re-opens for course changes" and then it says on the 30th of july "SOLAR closes"

And then it says on 9th of August "SOLAR reopens for students registered previously" and "Timetables released"
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:29 PM   #8
jon.john23
Elite Member

k

i see what u mean, i got that link to open up as a prview on google docs.
yes it does open up on July 9th, but i dont think u should worry about that, unless ur planning on dropping or addin a course, from what i understand.
Attached Images
File Type: png hhhhhh.png (6.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by jon.john23 : 07-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:39 PM   #9
lalalola2011

Oh blehhh...ill just make my timetable just in case and so i dont stay sitting on my laptop all week using it as an excuse x)
Old 07-08-2012 at 04:43 PM   #10
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
hey Sara,

i think that may not be entirely true. Check this video out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGmCVrAJaT4 watch @ 12:00
Old 07-08-2012 at 06:54 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
hey Sara,

i think that may not be entirely true. Check this video out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGmCVrAJaT4 watch @ 12:00
It has always been like how Sara said. You will never be able to pick/change your sections until McMaster has sectioned everyone in August. So when it opens in July you can only add/drop courses.

The only courses you will be able to pick sections for prior to sectioning are those courses where you were able to pick sections for back in June when SOLAR first opened for you. If you weren't able to pick sections for any of your courses when you first selected them in June, then you will not be able to pick your sections in July.

McMaster would never let you pick your own sections in July only to have your courses re-sectioned in August. It's a waste of time for the students.

jon.john23 says thanks to jhan523 for this post.