MacInsiders Logo

Do you think I should be upset?

Old 01-03-2014 at 06:27 PM   #1
nc9261

Do you think I should be upset?
I got an 11/A for BIo 1A03. Should I be upset?

I got A+ for the other 4 classes and this ruined my chance of the Provost Honour roll :( :(

eullwm likes this.
Old 01-03-2014 at 06:32 PM   #2
BilluBarber
Account Locked

Liked: 4 Times

cry me a river, you have no idea how hard some people get smacked 1st year

Danielrus likes this.
Old 01-03-2014 at 06:33 PM   #3
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

Those are the marks I wish I had on my first year...
Old 01-03-2014 at 06:33 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc9261 View Post
I got an 11/A for BIo 1A03. Should I be upset?

I got A+ for the other 4 classes and this ruined my chance of the Provost Honour roll :( :(
That feel when health sci.

Old 01-03-2014 at 06:34 PM   #5
Suspect

Liked: 60 Times

Yes, you should be upset.
Old 01-03-2014 at 06:36 PM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

"The latter, the Provost Honour Roll, celebrates students with a perfect 12.0 sessional average over at least 30 units. A total of 74 students were named to the prestigious Honour Roll for their efforts during the 2011-2012 academic year"
- See more at: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /artic....WmNmd3aa.dpuf

-McMaster had 21,025 undergrads in the 2012/2013 year....and 74 got Provost. Should you be upset? No. You are still doing far better than almost everyone else. Also note provost is over then entire year...so you would have to get perfect 12's for another (usually harder) 5 courses anyways.
Old 01-03-2014 at 06:44 PM   #7
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

no. what id give to have that average in 1st year.
Old 01-03-2014 at 06:50 PM   #8
Jimbojones

Liked: 16 Times

ahh, i know how you feel. You should find solace in the fact that you have three more attempts to make provost.

ZSimon likes this.
Old 01-03-2014 at 06:52 PM   #9
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

you should use this learning experience to start partying a little
Old 01-03-2014 at 07:25 PM   #10
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

yes you should be upset. there are amazing swedish meatballs at the provost ceremony. also, now you can't be a fourth time winner as (they announce how many previous provost medals you have when you win). so even if you win next year you will be overshadowed by the people who have won it for their second or third times. just don't get any more 11s so that you still get the Hooker scholarship! and definitely don't transfer to health sci next year if you can't even get a perfect GPA in life sci. maybe reflect on what worked and what didnt work this semester and try out some new study strategies.
Old 01-03-2014 at 07:26 PM   #11
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times

Honestly, don't get upset. It can make university awful. As long as you feel you put in your best effort, that's all that counts. Sometimes one course just does that. You still have great marks and no doors have been closed. One of the toughest lessons about university is that you will inevitably get some grade at some point you are disappointed with. You have two choices. Keep doing what you are doing (which is working) and come out in great shape, or panic and go into a spiral.

I got really upset after first term in my first year when I didn't get all 12s and it was one of my biggest mistakes.
Old 01-03-2014 at 08:33 PM   #12
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Honestly, you shouldn't even be asking this question in the first place.

You either feel upset or you don't. Many people have ideas about how one should feel in certain situations, and that's all well and good, but how you actually feel doesn't always follow. It shows very low self esteem to need the people on an internet forum to approve your feelings.

Also, it has already been pointed out that you would have to get 12 in all five second term courses as well to get Provost Honour Roll, so it may not be this course alone that is preventing you from attaining your goal.

Did you slack off in bio 1A03? If so, then I'd say you probably have good reason to be upset with yourself. If you did your best, then I feel that there's less reason to be upset with yourself. Either way, you didn't earn a 12.0 sessional average, and you can try again next year, but I'd recommend focusing on what you actually did accomplish this term.

Alomar12 likes this.